• This is an archive of the old Blogs system from the previous software. If you would like your blog entries moving/merging into the relevant forum/thread, please PM James. These blogs are READ ONLY. Replies CANNOT be made.

Passenger outer sill

From outside my inner sill repair was lined up and fixed nicely at the fromt but the rear had warped with the heat from welding.

attachment.php

I straightened it and aligned it with a scissor jack and plank of wood. When it was positioned nicely I welded the back of it to the suspension and boot floor sections and welded on a half inch by half inch strip of angle section

attachment.php

Then replaced the bottom section of the reinforcing section that had rusted away. There was no need to weld it all the way across or weld it particularly neatly because when the sill is on only the spiders that live in the car will see it!

attachment.php

With that done I cut out a section from a cheap sill section I had. Don't be afraid of spending ages aligning this as the slightest mistake and you will always see it! With the section in place I tacked it on then joined up the tacks. Do every 2nd one then start over rather than welding from one side to the other in one go. If you do you will warp your repair panel or the quarter panel!

attachment.php

Next was the bit along the door frame. I'd cut the pressed curved part off the sill repair panel as it wasn't a ver good fit. You really want the weld to penetrate well here as you will need to grind it down a good bit to get the right contour. You don't want to grind it down to discover you have ground the weld off!

attachment.php

Time to break the grinder out! Using a 60 grit flap wheel (and an angle grinder from Lidls!)

attachment.php

...and a coat of satan black...

attachment.php

...an almost invisible repair! :laugh:

Back