overfuling/ wontstart

Shero

Ex. Club Member
So basicaly when i trun the ignition its not firing.

If i turn the ignition and keep it cranking it wont fire, Ive taken the plugs out and there soaked in petrol, ive cleaned them up, then put some heat on to them, left the spark plug holes open to let any petrol evaporate and try again, but the same thing happens,
Is there any problems with a cold start or something that could be putting fule in which is then just drownuing the plugs???

Any help appritiated, im in the garage tha now so fire away.!!! :D

btw, ive read over a few micra wont start threads and still cant make sence of it. and it was running fine and the only thing on the fule system i changed was the filler pipe as it was rusted beyond belife, but i cant see why that would do anything.

yeh the plugs are sparkin, ill try the fuse the now and see then get back to here! lol.:p cheers folks.....

.......... no luck, i pulled the fuse out and cranked it over for a bit, it sounded like it wanted to start but had no fule to do it, so i put the fuse back in , checked the plugs again and tried to fire it, just done the same as before, ive looked through the good old haynes but nothing seems to fit whats happning, as its been running fine.

Is there anything to do with the cold start beacuse it just floods evrytime i crank it???

so i got it starting with the fuse method, but now thheres still deffo something wrong with the fuleing.

Does anyone no the main causes for overfuling and solutions??? :D cheers.....

well i can hear the fule pump buzzing away, but what will i look for in the relay???
Also, when i did get it started i let i run for about an hour, there was plenty of black smoke (unburnt fule) but then even when i tried starting it again a few minits later it still struggles to pick up and takes about 20 seconds to get to idle speed.

Id have normally just checked to make sure its still clicking...id expect it to be fine tbh :) are you letting the fuel system prime fully before starting?

The only thing i can think, were the fuel filler may cause the prob is incase youve got an air lock in the vent pipe on the tank...as i think the haynes mentions something on it.

Fuel wise i suppose you could check injectors, fuel system, maf, lambda and i guess vac leaks plus associated plugs (give them a clean with wd40 just incase)...its probs best to assume eveything could be the prob and work through them all. A hassle but atleast you'll know. It'll be something simple., you can almost guarantee it

if it starts allright on a cold morning but wont start or run properly when warm, i would say coolant temp sensor shero
but if its flooding from cold, the must be a bad t/b or ecu connection or something for it to dump that much fuel in :eek:

im goin oout to fix this!!! i cant be doin with it.

and its going for its mot tomorro because im trying to get it ready for crail on sunday. aghhhhh!¬!!!!!!!!!!!! im loosin the plot. haaa.

Back later on to ask more questions probly. :D cheers folks!

try new spark plugs or even spark plugs from your working micra, if not try your working micras TB and or dizzy. if its definitly sparking/fuelling and wont bump start then check all earth and fuses and connections are secure and if it still doesnt start then the timing is out. let me know once youve tried that

stani (Y)

Only time i had these effects are when changing the coolant
ECU sensed cold car and overfueld because the coolant was cold
BUT it was about 22deg c out

Cranked and cranked and eventually started with a big plume of black smoke

All running fine now but my thoughts on yours would be temp sensor telling ecu to run rich for cold starting - ie water temp sensor fault ?

cheers for the advice,
Im just in from the garage, a bit of a late shift! :D

Its now running, not perfect, if i crank it it fires slowly for the first rotation then builds up to idle in a few seconds, not good, but at least its running. :D
The spark plugs were brand new, i checkd the spacing and gave them a good clean about 20 times.

I think you may be right tony, i changed the coolant yesterday so that may have confuzed the liitle fcuk!!! lol.and i got the BIIIG cloud of smoke aswell so i guess thats a possibillity.

Anyway, its going for an mot tomoro, its deffo going to fail but i want a todo list for the next three days, as i cant get my big hole in the floor welded till thursday nite so if its going to fail on more stuff may aswell try to fix it before a retest on friday morning, if it fails then theres no trip o crail for the wee cow! :(, but im stayin positive!!! :D

if your idle starts off slow from cold and then gets higher when warm, try cleaning up the idle air control valve on the TB with carb cleaner

soooo......the mot wasnt as bad as i expected.
It just failed on emmisions and the two holes i have.

So im cutting up an old punto door tonite for donar peices and get the metal prepped and stuff.

and i got redex fuel system cleaner so ill pour that in and see how it goes and hopefully if all goes to plan i will have it for crail.

Oh, cheers for the advice agin!!! :D

Ive had this same problem... but it was also bringing on the enigine check light..
Goes to fire but sounds like engine flooded and wouldnt start..
I changed fuul filter, plugs, new fuse box next to battery.. still no joy.

Took it to a mate of mine who is the dogs Balls... he was baffled but...

Turned out to be a dodgy switch at back of the iginition barrell.
Took one off one from scrappers (£50 from main dealers)..
Bingo !!!!! fires everytime first time...
Dont ask me why it was causing these symptoms i dunno... very strange but jobs a good un.
So check the switch at back of ignition barrell !!

Re Emmisions
Have you done the throttle body fix - ie re soldered the joints on the PCB
Mine was kicking out some black smoke and as soon as i re soldered the PCB its running clean as a whistle - even the exhaust tailpipe has turned a nice grey brown

It appears to me that if certain joints crack on that PCB , the Throttle body fuels as if the car is cold (Assume default would be rich mixture as thats better than lean mixture)

Regardless you dont want to leave it too rich as it causes premature wear in the cylinders - washes the oil off the bores

That said too lean and you will melt the pistons :laugh:

Hope its nice simple fix and the MOT goes ok :)

cheers for the advice again guys, im not running it a crail now so ive got more time to go over everything which is good, i had too m0uch to do.

So im not rushing and going to get it runnig nice! :D ill let yous know how i get on :D

so.... more problems......

its now running and starting first time and feels alot better at idle. but when driving it seems to just die as if its not getting fule right. theres no exact point where it happens its just random times, it will run fine for a few minits then splutter to death.
im going to swap the injecters and see how that feels and ordering the walbro pump. but is there anything else i can look at to solve this.

to explain it almost feels like when a turbo gets on boost. it will sit at 3000 rpm and feel slow then the fule gets in and it puuls crazzy. or when you put the foot down it cant get enough fuel and just dies. but i can start it again no bother.

im going to give it a few days till the redex cleaner goes through the tank and see how that works first, im just looking for any other ideas to look at.

cheers peeps!:D

Back