car wont start

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
when ya go to start it, the lights go off (oil and battrey) and then it sorta hums!, i think its cos its stood so ling with out beeing driven, it wouldnt supprise me if the engine is gooesed, been told the AFM n fule pump are common faults on k11, but could anyone recomed out? ive cleand the leads but i cant get down to the sparkies. if not ill try bump it.

Does it crank at all? Could just be a flat battery, how long has it been stood there? I have started a K11 after it had stood for a year and it ran sweet as a nut.
Check for spark and fuel in the chamber, and (fairly obviously) if it has any petrol in it.

Check all the fuses (both inside and in the engine bay), does it not crank at all then?

It might be worth cheking the power across the battery, is there fuel getting into the cylinders?

Try and start it, then take out one of the spark plugs and sniff for petrol.
Are you confident enough to do a spark test?
Does the car have NATS?

It sounds like the battery if it isn't turning over and makes a humming noise (that's the starter trying to turn and not being able to). Just because you charged it doesn't mean it will be ok - if it has not been used for a while, or was left discharged outside over winter, it won't work.

batterys hold there charge pretty well in the cold weather,but i supose it could still be flat...........try a bump start its quickest way to find out

lol got it working, i have put a new battery on and put petrol in, and it fired up first time lol, bit embarsing but at least i got it going! cheers for all the help guys!

RIK said:
batterys hold there charge pretty well in the cold weather,but i supose it could still be flat...........try a bump start its quickest way to find out

All car batteries self discharge at a rate of between 10% and 40% a month. A discharged battery's electrolyte consists of mainly water, and is prone to freezing. Freezing a battery damages it. So cold weather isn't good for batteries at all.

Andrew said:
All car batteries self discharge at a rate of between 10% and 40% a month. A discharged battery's electrolyte consists of mainly water, and is prone to freezing. Freezing a battery damages it. So cold weather isn't good for batteries at all.

its a chemical reaction..which is always slower at cold temps,thats why they disharge quicker in the heat

the percentage you put ther says it,10% will be in the colder weather and the 40% in the warmer

Too cold OR too hot will damage a battery. However, batteries discharge better in the heat. Get a AA battery that is fairly old measure current and voltage from it, warm it up by rubbing it between your palms for a few seconds and do it again. You'll see the results :p

However, car batteries are fairly old technology in regards to rechargables. The problem is once you start to discharge the cell it continues to discharge when no load is on it. Aka leakage. This may have been the problem. It's possible to top a battery up though with distilled water :)

Back