Non starter, weird problem

S

Sacal

I have a problem with an R reg K11 which wont start, I have looked and searched but dont seem to be able to find a solution, so thanks in advance if anyone can help!

The car has always run very well, starting first time etc. Last night I parked the car as usual, this morning it would only turn over but not fire at all. It sounds like it is going to fire but then just continues to crank. All the simple stuff was checked first, battery, fuel, plugs etc but no fault can be found. Tried a jump start with another car but still the same problem, just cranks without firing, I went out and bought a gunson fault code reader, but this shows no fault in the system anywhere!

any ideas? im starting to think its the imobiliser.......thought of fuel problem also but i guess the fault code reader would have picked up on that.

if any more info is needed, just post it up and i'll keep checking back on this post.

Great site here

Mine did exactly the same yesterday, it did try and fire a couple of times but I managed to bump start it. it was fine all day after that.
Sorry, I can't really help but you're not alone!

my N reg one does the same, tho depends how it feels...only seems to have the problem in winter...as it went away during the summer :S

when i had it checked using haynes method of error checking -- no fault codes at all...but when i had it checked properly...turns out its got a crank angle sensor fault...which from memory is dizzy related.

oh and my neighbours now having a similar prob occasionally with his micra so you deff not alone. :)

Not alone - at least yours cranks lol!

Anyway, it'll be fine if you bump start it. It seems to happen when its wet/cold/damp. The joys of having a Micra i guess :)

well i know that theres a common fault on the throttle bodies but that would show on the code reader. cos mine went and i struggled to find a throttle body. umm also try the engine coolant sensor, (underneath the distrubutor cap) notherwise i dont know sorry

As said before, i tried jumping it from another car but no joy at all........does anyone know anything about the imobiliser? Everything else checks out, spark, fuel pump, its only an internal combustion engine, theres not much to go wrong lol

I'll be attacking the beast again tomorrow if anyone has any ideas before then.....thanks for the replies so far :) Very quick and helpful :)

i ahd the same prob when i had mine keep the key turned for 30 secs wi foot on accelerator, leave for a few mins and do the same but tapping the accelerator and mine started that way....worth a shot

Immobilisor cuts off both fuel and spark (on a 96 anyway), after you crank it is there fuel in the chambers, could be a problem with the fuel pump.

Yea - i know about the immobliser, but i don't think its that. i think it the damp in it.

try to bump start it, not Jump.

I.E, Put the key to acc on (when all the dash lights are on), get a few mates to push it and then put it into second and bring up the clutch. it'll stumble a bit, but should burst into life. Let it idel for a bit and then see what happens. Take it for a drive where it'll get upto temperture.
Let me know what happens

Titch :kungfu:

Well there was definately fuel when i pulled the plugs, and I can hear the pump fire up....so i'm glad to rule out the imobiliser, that could have been a nightmare....or a trip to the bank manager before the local mechanic lol. Looks like everything points to damp....you guys may have saved me hours, i'll go out now and put the theory to the test, thanks to all so far. i'm more used to working on bikes than cars, but you would be surprised how the same problems can be so different between the two.

I'll post back if i find the solution :)

Well thanks to all....its now running perfectly again :) Damp in the distributor, sprayed some trusty WD40 inside and it fired right up........takes me back to owning a (real) Mini all those years ago lol

Certainly saved me a wad of cash so thanks again

Back