Orange spark?

yamaimo

Ex. Club Member
Hi there,

I just finished fitting the head gasket on my K11 last week and I hoped driving it by now. However, I got some problem with starting it so I am seeking some help here.

My car suddenly stop running in the early December. It started as normal then cut off about 10 seconds later. Error code is 141 and 142. Garage guy told me to scrap it because it lost compression and don't know exactly what is causing it. Plus it will be too expensive for the value of the car.

Stubbornness of me refused to do that. (Well, I just spent some money for MOT!)
Since then I went through the following of items

Head gasket
Valve stem seal
Skimming cylinder head
Inlet and exhaust manifold gasket
Grinding valves
Cleaning AAC valve
Throttle body and AAC valve gasket
Cleaning distributor cap and rotor arm
battery
Ignition coil

When I started the engine after putting back together, it run about 10 second again then cut off. I checked the compression of each cylinder and I think I got OK reading (it was cold testing so one of them didn't reach 11 bar).
I checked the ignition timing and it appeared to be right.
I smell the petrol fume as I remove the spark plugs. I even put old set of HT lead and plugs back in case any faulty replacement.
Today my workmate suggested to check actual spark by tuning over the engine while one of the plugs touched on the engine block. It gave spark!

However, the colour of the spark is orange. I thought it should be blueish spark......
I am waiting for the angle sensor/power transistor component for next step.

It still start first time in the morning then cut off. As I turn over again and again, the chance of firing gets less and less.

I wonder if there is any other thing I should check on...... I want my car back!!

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the info. I couldn't narrow down the error code reading. nats as Nissan Anti Theft System? in this case what is the best action?? I tried genuine key as well......

Oh, thanks, Frank. I see........ it is very strange. Secondly air pump fwn???? I don't know such thing on board..... I will check up the site later.

Hi Frank. I searched your threads and I am convinced this is NATS problem. I hope Ed is still selling modified ECUs. On the other hand, I am very keen on what else I can do. Is there common cause of this fault and any remedy? I noticed Sev7 took his broken transponder apart and rebuild it with new one. I am impressed his determination.
Is there any well known PC base software to deal with immobiliser issue? Of cause I want to fix my K11 asap yet I would enjoy fixing it:p.

Hi Frank. I searched your threads and I am convinced this is NATS problem. I hope Ed is still selling modified ECUs. On the other hand, I am very keen on what else I can do. Is there common cause of this fault and any remedy? I noticed Sev7 took his broken transponder apart and rebuild it with new one. I am impressed his determination.
Is there any well known PC base software to deal with immobiliser issue? Of cause I want to fix my K11 asap yet I would enjoy fixing it:p.

scott (superls) fitted another transponder then got a mobile locksmith to recode his about 9 months ago iirc yamaimo, but i think he had the problem return recently tho:eek:

I am getting a replacement ECU from Ed now. In the mean time I will take the transponder apart. I like to see what is inside of any black box since I was a kid. Only the reason stopping me from doing so on my car was it would've had direct effect on my daily life if I screwed up:p.

i have resolved the re-occuring problem, the same guy came out and re coded the key to the ecu, not many people can do it though im lead to believe

Hi Scott. Glad to hear you fixed the problem. Where is the locksmith chap based on and how much is he asking for sorting out the problem? Even though I am getting a replacement form Ed I am keen to know these things.

i have resolved the re-occuring problem, the same guy came out and re coded the key to the ecu, not many people can do it though im lead to believe

I can, but no good if your not local. And tbh they usually fail again soon.

I received my replacement ECU from Ed today and it started the engine without any problem!!! On top of that, my stock audio is still working! Thank you, Ed! You are the star!!
Unfortunately I have slight hiccup especially when I accelerate and hesitate. I am guessing this is the sign of famous throttle body symptom. I remember just before my car broke down, the idling went very law and went back few occasion. I will check out soldering tomorrow. I appreciate any suggestion for checking out. ECU didn't present any fault code.

Back