Oil around spark plug

CMF_Mark

» CMF Member
My car would not start - it was turning but would not fire up. I checked the spark plugs and in one of the chambers there is quite alot of oil. I cleaned it up and tried again to no gain. The chamber and plug were again covered in oil.

Is this a seal/gasket?

Is it a big/expensive job?

Thanks

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i have seen an engine that that had happened to and it was in poor condition inside. have you had it for long and serviced it well/history/mileage?

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Really the only way to get oil in the spark plug chamber is from above or bellow.

Either your seal on the spark plug is knackered or the seal at the top of the tube between the rocker cover and tube is knackered.

Not sure how loss of compression and etc could put oil above the spark plug? Maybe all over the tip of it but not above? Probably completely wrong tho :-D

CMF_kneival

» CMF Member
Ah after reading the first post again its not very specific as to where the oil is.

so.... Is it on the spark end of the spark plug or outside the engine over the top of the spark plug?

Im assuming its on the ouside, all over the top of the spark plug where the leads go.

CMF_lam.666

» CMF Member
i had a flooding problem in my 7 changed plugs and it still wouldnt start, cleaned all the plugs cos there was oil on em, got it towed and clutch started it

works fine now

Back