on start up fuel gauge dropping + battery light on + speedo not working

Hi folks my 2002 micra had a flat battery so charged it up and refitted it and the car started up but the fuel gauge dropped to empty after a couple of seconds and the battery light was on took for a run but no speedo working. All the fuses are intact and wiring looks ok. I am just at a loose end as to what to try next. regards Terry

me wifes 03 did that it were the batery m8 but a put a new batery on and it were ok for 3 munths but now and again the light come on n speedo went off but used to sort itself the next day but a changed alternater from a scrappy eventully n it never did it since 4month+ now so i think the alternater were going on it so u need to go put a gud batery on i recken

Sounds like an alternator problem to me, check across the battery terminals with a multimeter you should get something like 13 - 14 volts with the engine going. Is the charge light on when running?
If you just replace the battery it could sort it short term but it will just end up killing that battery too, so check the alternator brushes are usually cheap and easy to replace although I haven't done a micra one.

Back when I had cortinas and capris, it was possible to check the alternator by disconnecting a battery terminal... I know that trick now does damage to a modern car. I wonder if a flat battery wrecks the alternator in the same way?

good battry, see if the light goes out if not do the altenater too like i did and weve been fine since.
14.2v is the right battery meter readin if you put a meter on the battry when the engine is running and battery shud be 12.4v to 13.8v standstill no engine runninng so u cans check the engine running makes the alternator charge by lookin for the increas to 14.2v when you run engine

5min check with a electricians volt meter very easy, you can do it urself in five minutes that is all its worth just buying a fiver meter just to be able to do that. Set it to DC voltage and 20v range it will give u a reeding of the voltage.
red to postivie and black to negative. sorry if i spell bad haha

If you just replace the battery it could sort it short term but it will just end up killing that battery too, so check the alternator brushes are usually cheap and easy to replace although I haven't done a micra one.
i agree but the man said this happen when he took a flat battry off and charged it so sounds like he obviously needs a battry if it goes flat,
so with that i'd say yes definatly put a new battry on and then as this man says you must check the alternater is doing its job otherwise like my wifes car the new battry will help for a bit but if the light still comes on and off etc you need to look at alternator like we did. it was cheap to swap from a scrapyard so worth doing.
Keep us all updated as we not seen you reply yet

I have fitted a new battery checked all fuses including under the bonnet examined wiring as the battery light does not go out even whilst giving the engine a rev I believe it will not be the alternator I have a auto sparky coming weds morning I will keep you posted as to what he finds

it was an intermittent fault on the alternator
I bought one of these the other day, and I reckon it will be really useful for pre-empting future problems with the battery or alternator.

12V/24V LED Car Cigarette Socket Voltmeter Voltage Battery Tester Detector

It only cost a few quid and fits neatly in the space where the DC socket is on the front fascia.

Now I can monitor my battery voltage before I start the car, then the alternator voltage once the engine is running.

Back