Speedo and Fuel Gauge not working

CMF_mitchgc

» CMF Member
Hey.

I bought a K11 1995 Micra today. When I took it for a test drive, I didn't take any notice of the speedo as I was too busy concentrating on how it drove.

I was driving it home today and I realised that the speedo seems to be way out when driving below 60kmph. When I'm sitting at lights the speed says 40kmph, and when the car is turned off, it's just below 20kmph. The fuel gauge doesn't go down also.

Does anyone know what this might be and how much I'm looking at to fix it? I should have checked them both before buying the car, but I wasn't thinking.

Cheers.

CMF_Polarbear

» CMF Member
Hey, I don't know about a Micra but in my Mitsubishi Lancer there's a fault where the circuit board can break, it's made mainly of plastic and the metal can snap. If you pulled it out and saw that this had indeed happened you have 2 methods of attack:
Replace, either new or secondhand (new is costly but secondhand might do it again)
Repair, solder a connection across the breakage.

But I think that's usually more when it's not working at all...

CMF_chanwilson01

» CMF Member
Try put some WD40 to the spring behind the needle, it might just lack of grease

Attachments

• 49979.jpg
    49979.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 36

CMF_mitchgc

» CMF Member
chanwilson01 seems to be on the money; I drove it around a bit more and the needle seems to have loosened up or something, because the speedo is working now. The fuel gauge still doesn't go down when the car turns off, but it seems to be operational at least.

My tires are the stock ones, so that shouldn't be an issue.

CMF_chanwilson01

» CMF Member
mitchgc WROTE:

"chanwilson01 seems to be on the money; I drove it around a bit more and the needle seems to have loosened up or something, because the speedo is working now. The fuel gauge still doesn't go down when the car turns off, but it seems to be operational at least.<BR>
<BR>
My tires are the stock ones, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I had problem with my speedo as well, the needle would go up normally but when I slow down the needle stopped at around 40-60. Just thought that might be the case you are having.

Micra's fuel gauge won't go down even you turn off the car, as long as you see the fuel level is moving down after some driving that's normal.

Wilson

CMF_mitchgc

» CMF Member
chanwilson01 WROTE:

I had problem with my speedo as well, the needle would go up normally but when I slow down the needle stopped at around 40-60. Just thought that might be the case you are having.

Micra's fuel gauge won't go down even you turn off the car, as long as you see the fuel level is moving down after some driving that's normal.

Wilson
Ohhhh that would explain it then haha. I thought it was meant to go down.

I took it for another drive just then (it's fun!) and it appears to be working fully now. Man, they are quick!

CMF_panos4

» CMF Member
I had the same problem with the speedo and here is my solution:

I had some mysterious oil under the instruments, and it dropped on the pedals. It was gearbox oil!

The speedo cable was bad, and acted as oil pump: It tog oil from the gear box and it took it behind the instruments. That resulted that the small plastic gears inside the speed was stocked. When i started the car the speedo needle run directly at 200 km/h!

I opened the speedo and cleaned everything inside. I changed the speedo cable and the speedo works fine now.

(Sorry for my bad English, I can explain it better in Greek or Swedish ;-)

Panos

Back