Speedo, fuel guage and temp gauge stopped working

Hey guys.

My lovelly ladys 1998 micra has developed a problem with the guages on the speedo cluster. I have trawled the forums and have found similar posts but still can't decide if the problem is the cluster or the speedo drive.

The cluster has a digital odometer and has a multi plug to connect all the gubbins on the back

Here are the symptoms:

- Speedo ticks but doesn't move - I took the dash apart and if you move the needle manually it moves back to zero then ticks again
- Fuel gauge is non functional
- Temp gauge is non functional
- Odometer flashes

... and here is a vid http://www.vimeo.com/26393174

I am using my GPS as a speedo at the mo but need to get this cracked asap.

If it is the cluster it is an easy fix but if it is the speedo drive I still haven't managed to work out where or what it looks like, even after reading the other posts :(

Thanks in advance guys

Wow, so interesting...

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Wilfy, you sure there isn't a fuse blown somewhere, or that all the wiring is intact? Bit of a long shot, but worth a try. Other than that, are the needles on the cluster not moving at all, even if it's just a little bit?

Hi Daniel

I have checked all of the fuses to be sure already. The speedo dial moves a little bit in time with the click which I would say that would rule out fuses anyway. Wiring looms seems intact

Thanks for the reply

Well I think it's worth trying a little bit of grease on the needles, they seem to have a habit of getting stuck sometimes. I had a similar problem with mine. Also there seem to be a few people who join here just to troll people, ignore them :laugh:

Hi Reg

I have already inspected the loom on the back of the cluster and all seems fine. Could you give me a hint where I could find the ECU on a micra.

Cheers

Hi Reg

I have already inspected the loom on the back of the cluster and all seems fine. Could you give me a hint where I could find the ECU on a micra.

Cheers

on the floor under the radio wilfy, it does,nt sound like ecu tho (the temp gauge signal comes straight from the engine for example)
it sounds like an earth problem to me

The earth seems fine to me. I am gonna swap out a working speedo cluster with a girl at work while she is not looking to see if I can replicate the problem :wasntme:

In the interest of sharing knowledge, I think I have solved the issue.

I finally got around to swapping out a working speedo cluster into my gfs car and all is fine. Tried the non-working one in another car and it shows the same symptoms, thus clearly pointing to a fault in the cluster.

On a different note I would highly recommend driving around without a speedo or working fuel gauge, keeps you on your toes lol (don't worry I was using GPS for speed most of the time)

Thanks for all of your time.

Well at least you found out what the problem was (Y). I wouldn't like driving without a working fuel gauge, my car eats any fuel I put in it in one big lump at the moment :laugh:. Can work out what speed I'm roughly doing though :grinning:

Back