Fuel Gauge Not Working?

I was on a long journey last night when I noticed my fuel gauge wasn't going down at all, until the warning light came on, then it started to drop noticeably although it was still showing almost half. I stopped at a services and put £10 in but the needle was still showing I had more than I know I did. I drove about 40 miles home, and the fuel needle didn't move at all.

I've heard it's either the float in the fuel tank that's causing this or just the fuel needle sticking, but I took the dials apart today and it moves freely. Also I don't know if it's related but 2 weeks ago I had a relay wired into the dash to get the airbag light to go off (for its mot) and shortly after only half of my dash dials were lighting up :confused:

Has anyone had this before/know of what could be causing it? And also how best to fix it?

Urm i dont spose you have changed the cluster ligths with LED's have you? because when i changed mine the fuel gauge stopped moving, the rev counter jumped and so did the water temp? :)

the fuel needle tends to stick. its seems to be viscous dampened. try removing the dash clear cover and while IGN on, twirl the fuel needle round n round to loosen the dampener fluid till it spins freely. set the needle back to were it was and it'll twang into the right position. reassemble. the dampener with thicken back up n dampen the needle.

Urm i dont spose you have changed the cluster ligths with LED's have you? because when i changed mine the fuel gauge stopped moving, the rev counter jumped and so did the water temp? :)
Nope, I haven't changed the bulbs..yet. I swapped a few around and now they're all working fine again, apart from half of the temp gauge but i'll probably change them all to led's soon anyway.

the fuel needle tends to stick. its seems to be viscous dampened. try removing the dash clear cover and while IGN on, twirl the fuel needle round n round to loosen the dampener fluid till it spins freely. set the needle back to were it was and it'll twang into the right position. reassemble. the dampener with thicken back up n dampen the needle.
I took the dash apart and tried turning the needle around yesterday but with ignition off, so i'll try it with it on and see if that works, might save me buying a new fuel pump. Thanks pollyp :) I've also heard that if the float in the tank is sticking, to just fill up the car and then it might sort out the float/bring the gauge back to life. Do you think this would work at all?

yesterday but with ignition off, so i'll try it with it on and see if that works, might save me buying a new fuel pump. Thanks pollyp :) I've also heard that if the float in the tank is sticking, to just fill up the car and then it might sort out the float/bring the gauge back to life. Do you think this would work at all?

if the tanks not been brimmed for awhile then it might possibly slightly free up a stuck mechanism or clean up the potentiometer track

Back