oil leak

For a Christmas present from my car I got a leaking crankshaft oil seal, it's fairly bad and spraying oil all over the right hand brake disc so is going to need doing ASAP, has anyone here done one ? I'm hoping it can be done without stripping the engine, any clues anybody ?:down:

hey, on my first micra my crankshaft seal was leakin until it ran out and my gearbox ceased...so i gotta new gearbox and clutch fitted which came to £220 and the next day the whole engine ceased lol so i eventually found another micra for £50 and tht crankshaft seal began to leak aswell, but me knowin wot would happen i quickly had the gearboxes changed and a new chankshaft seal put in, it was my mate who did it so i aint sure wot the cost at a garage would b, not much and im sure the engine does not hav to b stripped :sleepy:

How on earth did a leaking crank shaft seal seize a gear box??? fwn

I should imagine you will need to strip the bottom of the engine down a bit.

it would be the seal behind the crank pully which is easy to change,

take off drivers wheel
remove splash panel
remove crank pully bolt
hit crank pully with copper hide hammer in the centre and not on the edge
when crank pully is off see if seal is flush with the front cover
remove old seal with screwdriver
insert new seal with large socket same size as seal making sure the seal is flush with front cover
refit crank pully
tighten crank pulley bolt
refit splash panel
refit wheel torquing to 105nm

job done
its easy with to do if you have the right tools

To add to what Fordy posted you will have to inspect the crank shaft as well. Often the seal will act as a lathe on the sahft and it'll dig a nice hole around it.

I'm not sure what you guys call them but to prevent it from leaking again (even with a new seal) you might need to buy a "speedi sleeve kit" basically is like a hard sleeve which goes over the crank shaft and gives the new seal a nice flat surface to seal on.

You might be lucky and the groove in the pulley might not be too bad.

OTher thing, 1L pulley if you dont already have one :p

New front crank seal is quite cheap too, only $15AUD for me.

142Nm for the crankshaft pulley bolt btw, you might need to use the starter motor to undo it!

Back