Not so good in the snow

Had my first drive in snow today, I guess 185 section tyres on a lightish car don't make for good traction.
If this snow continues I'll have to dig out the original steel wheels and maybe even have some narrower snow tyres fitted.

remember to pull away in second if its icy, not alot of revs but enough to get you going. Start from 3rd if you need to do a hill start

I think I'll just leave it on the drive when it snows, thanks for all the advice, however I have been driving for the last 25 years so do know how to drive in snow and this Micra is the worst car I've driven in snow, it could just be down to the Toyo tyres fitted perhaps.

Picture003.jpg

I should have said "had my first drive in snow in my Micra"

yeah i have never seen anybody have so much trouble in any other fwd car than i had in micra...

fact i wrote it off at 10mph on a gradual bend because it locked up....

Hense why im driving works Navara as much as poss. Went out in the Micra tonight only to lose control doing 10ish mph down a hill, thank the lord for engine breaking!

Mine is doing absolutely fine, and it's on cheapo asian tyres. Just drive really carefully, and yeah obviously it tends to stray sometimes, but nothing unexpected or problematic.

What you want to do is get a glass of water and put it in your lap, then drive without spilling it! Will teach you to drive carefully in these conditions!
Otherwise you turn up to work with a wet crotch. (incidentally that will also be the case if you almost stuff your car into an oncoming truck).

Mine is doing absolutely fine, and it's on cheapo asian tyres. Just drive really carefully, and yeah obviously it tends to stray sometimes, but nothing unexpected or problematic.

What you want to do is get a glass of water and put it in your lap, then drive without spilling it! Will teach you to drive carefully in these conditions!
Otherwise you turn up to work with a wet crotch. (incidentally that will also be the case if you almost stuff your car into an oncoming truck).

thats good advice! (Y)

yeah
fact i wrote it off at 10mph on a gradual bend because it locked up....

Sorry to hear about your accident Tom, and also the other sad news you mentioned a few days ago.

Snowing like mad here again, I'm staying in. I'm quite sure the Micra would be fine with a decent set of narrow snow tyres fitted.

We've not really seen much snow up this way for a few years, so much for global warming.

Take it easy eveyone.

Few days ago, i almost damaged my alloys on the sidewalk. I intended to go to the left, but my car just went straight towards the sidewalk. i luckily enough got my wheels straight when i hit the curb, but it's not a nice feeling when you lose controll of you car.

i louved the micra on snow last year, had toyo t1rs on it and was stripped in the rear, was fine in about 3 inch of snow last year. but the micras in my garage now, so im in the jeep which is soooooo good in this weather :D

plus low revs, very smooth n gentle on the controls

I wish more people knew this. Some of the things i've seen on Facebook makes you wonder why people are so brainless! People skidding and crashing, saying there's nothing they can do to control the car or prevent it from happening.

I wish more people knew this. Some of the things i've seen on Facebook makes you wonder why people are so brainless! People skidding and crashing, saying there's nothing they can do to control the car or prevent it from happening.
lol x2 to that, its kinda scary people dont just stop for a second and think why the car wont move instead of juts revvin up. strange folk.

lol x2 to that, its kinda scary people dont just stop for a second and think why the car wont move instead of juts revvin up. strange folk.

aye. other night i heard someone revvin outside the house, and it was some neighbour trying to get out by spinning the wheels faster. 15mins later the revving stopped and saw them get back in the house, i couldn't help but lmao at their stupidity:laugh:

meanwhile i just drove my car out my back yard garage, use my momentum to get onto the sloped edge of the main road and drove past

actually tonnes of snow out, i have snow tyres on the little micra and they pretty much do nothing, i was rolling up to a round about, went to go right and just went straight on lol!

gonna take it very easy tomorrow its just stupid

lol my micra's fine in the ice, i mean i was at work, 12 till 10, it was frozen shut and my work car park was an ice rink but i kept it slow and stil nearly crashed...3 times before i got home. think i had the revs a little too high, and it doesnt help that i live on some sort of a hill lol

I dont mind it. The guy i work with got a lift to work with me this morning beacause he thinks his car has to many driver aids working in his car ('08 audi a6). He thinks they make the car harder to drive in the snow and ice!

I dont mind it. The guy i work with got a lift to work with me this morning beacause he thinks his car has to many driver aids working in his car ('08 audi a6). He thinks they make the car harder to drive in the snow and ice!

haha dont they have some sort of stability controll and traction which will make it easier to drive??

I did the opposite and parked the micra with its dry weather tires at home and drove the Qashqai LOL

he just doesnt want to crash his posh audi lol

no way it would make it harder, it would make it soooo much easier,

lets face it, micras are failry cack on the white stuff

he just doesnt want to crash his posh audi lol

no way it would make it harder, it would make it soooo much easier,

lets face it, micras are failry cack on the white stuff

lol I'm with you their Tom, Id rather trash the wife's Qashqai than my Micra :p

well i trashed my micra in it so i speak from rather poor but extensive experience :(

dads vrs has had no trouble, same as my mums nice new car,

just mine that had a complete fail of direction changing....

####in' sign posts......

I've only ever writen off a micra at 30mph, in rain rear end went, come off a slip road, into a ditch and smacked a tree....

Write off.... :(

oops

Nearly got smashed in the side by a fiat 500 approaching a T junction way too fast the other day, glanced to my left to see its wheels locked (too late for me to brake) so i booted it at the last second and it missed my rear passenger side by inches, nearly got out to lamp them one it was so frustrating grr

I am pleasantly suprised by the level of grip in my primera compared to the micra in last january's snow but its still all about the driver, people just go too fast and dont know how to start and stop, idiots.

There is few simple rules how to drive on snow! Dont rev it up and brake with your engine, not brakes! Lot of driver who dont have used to snow dont know that! and then they end up in walls.

went out earlier to go pick up some stuff and ended up turning around at a roundabout down the road cause it was so bad, come up and over a bridge and saw hazard lights ahead so tapped the brakes, they were no good so engine braked it and kept the steering wheel fairly steady as i had no grip what so ever but managed to control it enough and slow the car down before the parked cars. turned out to be a 206 in the middle of the road sideways smashed in the back so hard you couldnt reconise it and a smash in the side. in total i saw 3 cars that had crashed that 206, a golf with practically no front end and a random car in a ditch ( couldnt stop so slid on :p )

Back