1.0 pre-face gearbox fill: oil not going in

SteveG

Intake n exhaust almost done, suspension next :)
I've drained the gearbox and have plenty of 80w oil to put in, but can't remember how to get the oil to actually go in.

I've removed the speedo drive (and the screw) and have tried:

- a funnel that was slightly narrower than the whole opening
- some 1/4" tube that seemed to fit over the inner nipple type thing that the speedo cable goes inside

both of these options just resulted in the oil seeping out from the top, as if the oil wasn't even trying to go in
I tried with the retaining screw in and out, thinking maybe it's an airlock or something, same result
Tried changing through all the gears (it's in neutral and that's all I've tried it with)

I have some 1/2" tube but it doesn't stretch over the whole opening

I've done it before and have a mostly used gallon of gear oil, so I'm not imagining it lol

Any tips on how to get the oil in? I've tried pouring really slowly, a bit at a time, and it just seeps out no matter what the fill rate

after unscrewing the speedo cable, you remove the 10mm retaining bolt and pull this whole speedo pickup unit out the gearbox to reveal a big port to pout into

.jpg

Haha, ok yeah I didn't take that out. Cheers for the quick answer, supposed to be at a birthday weekend right now.

Well, all done. Still makes the same whirring sound with the clutch engaged and in neutral, but not with the clutch pressed. Seems like there's a similar thread about that just now...

Back