Snow Tyres

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
Hi all,

i just thought i would tell you all about snow tyres, this is the first time i have ever seen any of them so you might be interested.

here in Sweden snow tyres (vinter däck) are compulsary by December 1st, so i had to go and get a set for the micra.

there are two features to snow tyres, the most obvious ones are the studs (dubb) in the tyre, they are little aluminium rivets stuck into the tread. they are aluminium because aluminium doesn't spark or rust and it is soft, if they were steel they would be sparking as you drive along. the studs make a noise that sounds like a car driving in wet weather or with very sticky tyres on the outside, on the inside it sounds like the heater fan is on full.

the other part to the tyres is that they are very soft, when you do a sudden move in a car it quickly applies a lot of force to the wheels, like when you go round around the corner sharply the tyres have a lot of force on them which makes them loose grip easier, but the soft tyres slowly apply the pressure, acting like a buffer. it does mean the car handles like a boat, but it does keep it on the road.

so now you know all about snow tyres :)

Attachments

• DSC_0439 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0439 (Large).JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC_0440 (Large).JPG
    DSC_0440 (Large).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 260

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Looking cool nex, how much are a set of those! Come back to England soon won't you

danny1.0l

Ex. Club Member
agreeing with you totally alan i dont think well have the weather for snow tyres some how ill probably be putting my steelies back on if the weather takes a turn for the worse

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Looking cool nex, how much are a set of those! Come back to England soon won't you

they were 2400kr which is about £200, not bad considering they are brand new, fitted kumos :)

i want to come back to england but i have no money! still got two more cars to come and get.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
they were 2400kr which is about £200, not bad considering they are brand new, fitted kumos :)

i want to come back to england but i have no money! still got two more cars to come and get.

Road trip to sweden. Joe can drive one of yours or something and everyone flies home afterwards

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Road trip to sweden. Joe can drive one of yours or something and everyone flies home afterwards

except only one car has an engine lol, i need to drag the other car with me, but i have to get the car MOTed before i can drive it back, which isnt so easy to do from here

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Mmmm, nice buy. Hehehe, they all have them in Norway too, (just got back from there yesterday). Not something that we have here in the UK, not that it matters when everything stops. I'm sure they're illegal here anyway....

I did have to put the diff lock on the landrover when I was trying to get the race trailer out to get my SuperS out to start the next modding phase, as it was spinning the front wheels on the ice :$

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
lol, Well im about to put my snow chains on again for the 4th time in the last 12 mths... I would never have thought that was going to happen.

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Mmmm, nice buy. Hehehe, they all have them in Norway too, (just got back from there yesterday). Not something that we have here in the UK, not that it matters when everything stops. I'm sure they're illegal here anyway....

I did have to put the diff lock on the landrover when I was trying to get the race trailer out to get my SuperS out to start the next modding phase, as it was spinning the front wheels on the ice :$

yea they are mandatory here but wreck the roads if there is no ice. luckily there is tones of the stuff, it actually doesn't melt, its like -20 outside, apparently one time is was -40 and the sea froze and you could ice skate on it! i would so take my car out on that!

it makes a nice change, back in england when the whole country stopped because it was a little snowy, over here there is no problems at all people just keep going its awesome :D though its great to stand by the round abouts and watch all the crappy BMW 4X4s just go spinning wildly out of control! lol watched a toyota pick up pull up into the petrol station backwards the other day :D