Newbie - Rear shock absorbers help

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Hi there - Just bought 1999 Micra Inspiration, first car and I'm pretty clueless. Took me a couple of weeks to figure out where a rattling noise was coming from in the back of the car - driver's side shock absorber. I've taken a picture to show. Both nuts are tightened to correct torque. Bottom nuts (under the car, fully tight as well. Thinking that the absorber is needing replaced, judging by the lack of compression on the rubber bit. What do you think?

Attachments

• 48893.jpg
    48893.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 34

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
that looks like a after market rubber bush it looks different as you see its got square edges. Even compressed it would not look like the other one.

I would do as fred said and check your drop links

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Thanks for the replies. Didn't notice that the rubber had a square edge, not the same as he other. The drop links on the sway bar - is that the anti-roll bar? How will I spot if the drop links are at fault?

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
yep, anti roll bar/sway bar has a link about 6"/150mm long with a ball and socket on each end that joins to the car proper with the anti-roll bar and are almost vertical hence the term 'drop link' (you'll see 'em b4 the rear wheels near the trailing arm.... these have just nylon and rubber sockets and degrade quite quickly, they bang and rattle when you're going straight but are quiet when cornering since they're under load, ie stopping roll...... nsm can get you some white line adjustables for around $180 or get to a wreakers...

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
Thanks for the help. I jacked up the car and had a good look at the drop links. All seems pretty solid. Tried pulling the anti-roll bar this way and that - no movement, certainly no rattling. What I did notice see was the upper part of the rear shock visible, ie the rubber dustcover thingy that covers the top of the shock has slid down onto the bottom of the shock. Don't know if this would make a noise but I want to get it put back where it belongs. Tried sliding it back into place but was unable to get it to stay put. Any suggestions?

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
with the rear of the car up in the air, can you tap the wheels (firmly) and get the rattle?

Check the bottom of the struts, there is a bolt that holds them in to the bottom of the bracket that when compressed won't move about but when its up in teh air (ie, going over bumps) it will bang around.

Happened to me after I put new struts in, bolt undid itself (didn't do it up tight enough lol).

Cheers,
matt

CMF_Martos

» CMF Member
I'll record the noise and let you hear it, Fred, see if it helps. I took the back seats out and drove around with my mate in the back of the car. The noise seems to be coming from the driver's side shock as if it is rattling off the sides as it comes through the hole into the cabin - As if there is play at the top even when fully tightened. I disconnected the top nut and put and old nut beween that and the washer to make it tighter. Seems to have reduced the noise a bit. When I accelerate and then take my foot off the gas I can make the noise happen as well. 33driver I will try as you've suggested tomorrow when I'll have the cash to buy a trolley jack and some axle stands!

Back