Newbie after some help please!!!!!

Hi all - I'm doing a bit of work on my Mum's Micra (1999 V reg K11) after she said it was 'noisy' at the front.

I had a quick look under the car and noticed both bushes that did connect the anti-roll bar to the wishbones had corroded and snapped. I got a pair of replacements (£10.99 each from local parts dealer) but once fitted they just don't look right - the rubbers just don't look like they are compressing/sitting correct - any ideas???

Also, daft question..... but the rollbar sits on top, or below the wishbone??? looks as though it sits above it, but just checking..fwn

Finally, the noise is a 'clunk, clunk, clunk....' when truning (OK when straight) seems worse on left turns, again any ideas???

Sorry for such a long first post, but any help would be much appreciated!!!! :grinning:

if the clunk clunk louder is with more power applied, then i would say knackered CV joint :eek:
and can you post a pic of the a/r/b links ?

Cheers for the fast reply Frank - it does seem to get louder when faster - is the CV joint a easy job?
It's tools down for today as its started raining here, but I'll try and get some pics posted as soon as I can.

Hi Frank, just searched and Welly posted a response to this thread...

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/20750-Replacing-CV-boot-or-gaiter-questions?highlight=CV+joint

"easyest way without any the gobblydegook

Wheels Off
wishbone bolt out
Drive shaft nut off
Gearbox side off
Hub side off

easiest way to get drive shafts out gearbox side, big screw driver (flat head), or a chisel. put it in and hit it with hammer, and woola!

Then reward your self with a cuppa :p "

Makes it sound easy!!

hmm, sort of, the wishbone bolts tend to sieze into the bush and removing the shaft from the g.box will shed a fair amount of oil, i usually remove the 2 knuckle bolts then remove the outer cv only (with the shaft in situ)

If you are using Franks method make sure you get the split pin out and clean up the exposed threads with a wire brush before slackening off the nut or you will break the ball joint taper away from the hub.

I prefer to take the 2 big bolts out above the hub. The bolts do sieze but a good soaking of WD40 and a decent bar and well fitting socket are usually all thats needed.

Back