Newbie here, Help please

Hi Folks,

I'm after some help if possible, never owned a Micra before and at 1L its quite a change from my V6 MG ZS!

I found an electric plug just under the air filter thats out. I plugged it back in to find that the engine had little/no power and just coughed and spluttered.

Can anyone give me an idea of what this plug might be and subsequently why plugging it in is causing more harm than good? I've owned the car for about 6 months now and I'm assuming its never been plugged in, so previous owner probably disconnected for that reason.

The car is an Xreg and over course of last few weeks I've noticed its using more and more petrol than normal, any suggestions as to how to improve this again? Just a general service?

I know each car has its own characteristics and little querks, apologies if some of the above seems daft, but sometimes there's often a simple solution.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Murray

First of all WELCOME!
Would it be possible for you to get a picture?
And yes a Service would probably help you.
Good luck! (Y)

31069269.jpg

Hard to tell but if that the side of the throttle body, could it be the connector for the MAF sensor?

that is the maf sensor connector. I found it uses a lot of fuel when not in. If it is kangarooing when that is plugged in it means that your maf is more than likely ####ed. I got one off ebay for £30 quid bout 13 months ago and it works well but there have been negative reports of the ebay copies giving up life after a few months. Mine (touch wood) is going well and went through mot fine last week with no problems. i found with the maf unplugged my mpg dropped to about 15mpg no joke. hope this helps :p

Thats a great help thanks very much, I'll try the local scrappies first and see if I can pick one up there. 2 new tyres and tracking done today, service tomorrow and if I can find the sensor then hopefuly this will cure all ales!

Thanks for your help guys

good show muzzpat
you seem to have the newer coilpack engine that has them cheaper replaceable MAF sensors as mentioned above
sorted your first hiccup with a one hit post- i realy like this site myself

Hi Folks,

Having a bit of mare with this, bought a whole new throttle body from scrappies from a Micra with only 20k on the clock. Had this fitted which seemed to cure the problem though it was still a bit up and down revs wise.

Then one day later it seems its completely drained the battery! Charged it up last night fully, car started great this morning running fine then on way to work (30min drive) stereo started to go off, then indicators stopped and had no power for window wipers. Engine still running fine at this point. Stopped the car at work and tried to see if would and as I suspected the battery was dead again.

So, to recap all that I had done was service, plugs, oil filter, fuel filter, oil change, air filter and new throttle body fitted.

Any ideas whats all of a sudden caused the issue with the power?

it sounds like its not charging murray (or else a dodgy connection ?)
is the alternator belt ok ? and test the voltage when off and when running

Just at work on lunch just went out to have a look.

Belts are all fine feel taught and don't seem to be fraying. Pushed all the connectors together around the throttle body just incase any were loose and then the car started first time.

I'm not sure whats going on here as car just wouldn't turn over when I got to work this morning as battery was flat. Its really strange!

Hopefuly it runs fine on the journey home from work and I've found procedures to do, to reset the idle speed of the new throttle body as its still very up and down at the moment.

Fingers crossed its cured but I have my suspicions

Like Frank said, put a volt meter across the battery and then start the car. It should be around 12.5 at first then jump to 14+ when it starts up if the charging system's working :).

Ok thanks guys car started fine to get home then most electrics e.g. Stereo,heater went off after 5mins got home and couldn't start car again.just had MAF replaced so it shouldn't be that.

Will check battery though must admit I'm not too clued up on these technical things. It seems to
Completely random left the car for few hours after I got home and car started again fine.It's 10 yr old car so really not wanting tonslend much money on it.

Completely random left the car for few hours after I got home and car started again fine..

maybe a dodgy connection then murray ? does your coilpack type engine have 2 fat wires with spade connectors running off the battery + lead ? like our earlier models

Neh its the circle clips where you have to unbolt a screw at the side, so the contact surrounds the whole of the battery terminal. Definately a sound connection.

No idea what it is might have to bight the bullet and get auto electrician out as I need the car for work etc.

More money, just really strange!

ahh, well my k11,s have the round terminal then further down are 2 fat spade connectors that feed some main circuits

Ok thanks guys car started fine to get home then most electrics e.g. Stereo,heater went off after 5mins got home and couldn't start car again..

thats what happen to me - with loose connections or ignition switch failing as when its cold the metal inside ign switch is fine
but if its arching it'll get hot and stop contacting the correct tracks

Back