New to MSC and gratful for help!

first off hello to every1 in the MSC,
Me and a friend have been into to cars for a long time taking on individual projects but nothing major performance wise. i recently sold my fto n was looking for a new project and my mate was using a k11 for work and it then dawned on us to do the micra as the next project. Ive seen some of the cars on the site and i take my hat off to you guys youve done a great job.
Basically weve made a start, the 1.0 engine has been carefully removed, we purchased a sr20 engine out of a primera gt, im doing the welding this weekend on the engine bay to adapt the new mounts to fit. so far so good i think...
however ive read a bit about the driveshafts needing to be custom made to fit wandered if any 1 cud shed a bit of light on it for me?
Also any advice from k11 owners on making the engine fit would be appreciated.
Ive got some pics of our progress and will post them on here this weekend for you guys!!
thanks for the help:laugh:

I love the sound of a new SR20 build! Welcome to the club.

As Frank says check out Martijn's blog, also have a scroll through the k11 blog section, theres a few SR20 builds that may have some good info for you.

Look forward to the pics.:grinning:

actually most of the sr20 builds are pretty poor on information and detailed pictures. id like to see one with parts lists, costs, who they went to for custom parts, which custom parts were needed and if they were any good, what problems arised and how they got round them, pictures of engine mounts and so on. id reckon if this sort of info was shared then there would be alot more people taking the sr20 route

oh welcome and good luck!

update

Jus a quick update,
like i said before the 1.0 engine has carefully been removed this was a relatively easy job job with the engine crane and took us about 5 hours, probs dint have to take that long but were using this project as a learning curve as well a bit of fun. So ye everything was disconnected paying note to what it was, what it does and where it goes. The engine bay then recieved a jet wash and good clean as we wont get a chance like that for a while, i hope. Like i said the sr20 engine was from a primera gt, we bought it off ebay for £170 from a guy who deals in nissan engines in burford, bargain i think, we paid £55 for a private courier called palletline to pick it us up which i can recommend, all organised on the web.
The engine arrived and we were more than happy with it, it had the gear box still attached, we actually have a spare gear box which was bought for an old project on a sunny gti, but the gti isnt with us now :( so if any 1 wants a gear box let me know. Our new engine had the old cradle bolted to the bottom which may come in to fabricate something to replace the old 1. It had the ecu, ancillaries, wiring loom, everything to recognise it as a working engine so good buy we think.
However getting the new engine to fit looks like being more time consuming. first obvious issue is the sheer size of the engine so any removable brackets or fixing tht could be removed were. We took the upper crossmember out as that was an obstruction when removing the 1.0 so would definatly be in the way with the new one. Next issue is the engine mounts, the new engine mounts are twice the width than the old ones and in different positions so will not fit, first route we thought could we put the engine mounts out of a primera in but with the body shape being different we scrapped that idea and thought about just improviseing with what we have. Anyway we cut the old engine mounts out which was a challenge itself, then cut the engine mount straight down the middle so that in theory we can open them up to the width needed and weld back into position. The bottom mounts arnt that bad, the rear one that links with the gear leaver and stabiliser lines up perfect and the the front bracket jus needs moving forward. (gear selector may need some fabricating for the prongs to face the right way) We have temporarily sat the engine in on bricks it was a trial run to see if she fits. Which she does just, had to go in on the angle transmission end first, couldve removed the gear box but didnt want to make work for ourselves. So currently that how it stands, the next week end were gona position it and mark up were the engine mounts will go, note: may need to fabricate something for the right hand mount as it sits lower down were there is no bodywork for it to fix to if you know what i mean. Weve got a mig welder to play with so we should be some were near in a few weeks. were tring not to rush things and get it done right as i think this it one of the most important parts of the project that we need to get right. Advise: Does any1 know if a turbo can actually be put onto this engine (2.0l eGT 155bhp )because theres not a lot of space left so it doesnt look like it but just wondered if any1 has done it before, you will see exactly what engine it is when we put on pics but..... can any 1 tell us how to post pics as it asks for an url address but there in a folder on desktop if that makes sense lol ? cheers guys

sounds good mate, and yeah you can squeeze a turbo in there with the monstrous sr20. search little bandit and you just see why you'll want to get this project up and running. if you want to post a picture, youll need to choose the manage attachments below where your typing and upload each picture. (Y)

looks like martijn has pulled all of his pics and his website eh www.micrachallenge.nl here,s one of the underneath

attachment.php

Attachments

• martijn11.JPG
    martijn11.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,758
thanx maybe turbos the next stage then if we manage it :) and thanx for the pic cos i also had doubts about the gear box been stuck too far out but obviously it will be ok

i know y i cant put pics on yet, cos i need to upgrade to bronze which i will do shortly so thanx agen

you could link to tinypic or wherever eh :grinning:
and here,s a pic of dave bulls little bandit :cool:
attachment.php

Attachments

• dbull.jpg
    dbull.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 2,415
so heres just as we started disconnecting everything
300add1.jpg
then heres just lifting out the 1.0
spg55y.jpg
2vcjprd.jpg
we forgot to take picture of the engine bay when it was empty and the new engine before placing it in but here it is just sat in on some bricks so we can mark up to new mounts
x42795.jpg
91i5n9.jpg
2dajd3m.jpg
Obviously its not in correct position yet but this is y we had doubts on the gear box
2aiga47.jpg
and finally , slightly off topic but just a little idea for some bodywork, using the old vents from the beloved sunny gti-r, may even try using the spoiler for rear end to ;)
qof41w.jpg
smat69.jpg

hi stani, jus wandering the what engines you have been using with your turbo, dont know if its mentioned in your write up, looked like the standard small engine, dont take offence if it isnt. Also any ideas of the cost of your turbo set up?, jus for an idea on our own project. Anyway your build is truely inspirational, top job pal
Regards Ross and Dave

Hi I really want to do this conversion on a k12 do you think it may be easier or harder to do in respect to engine bay size?

And also really inspired by this build! Wish to see more like it!

Back