New Purchase: Things To Look For

Hey all, first post and all that.

My girlfriend got given a Micra (R reg with 27,000 miles!) from an elderly family member who's given up driving due to cancer. I was so impressed with it I've decided I want my own!

I found an X reg K11c for £795 with 94,000 on the clock. I'm not too worried about the mileage to be honest due to how strong these engines are. I'm going to take a look at it on Friday so I wondered whether anyone knew anything specific to look out for. I know about the rusting front crossmembers and a lot of the common stuff but is there anything Micra specific I should look for?

Cheers guys!

Check sills are solid, peel carpet back in boot to check inner wheel arches, make sure the windows go up and down smoothly, I've had 3 micras where the pane of glass has came out the holder and my mates just started doing it not long ago. Don't know if its common or if me and my mate are unlucky lol. The spring to put the gear stick back to the middle of neutral usually comes off and I've experienced it sitting on the heatshield and rattling when going over bumps.
Or a check for rust, rust everywhere lol.
That's common problems i know of or have experienced.

Check for noise from the clutch release bearing. If you hear a noise in idle, that disappears when you press down the clutch pedal. Then it's worn out.
And check if the clutch slips when accelerating (hard).

Also make sure that the car pulls along smoothly. If it stalls or cuts out when accelerating and driving along, it could have a faulty throttle body (integrated MAF).

Otherwise as Steve wrote. Rust! Good luk. :)

Cheers guys, really useful stuff here. Lucky the area the dealer is in is close to various different types of roads so I can see how it goes all 'round. I want to do some pulls in each gear to see if all is well there, as well as some tight maneuvering and such to test things like CV joints. How does the price sound to everyone? (I'll be haggling as well obviously!) ;)

Went to see it today, it was a bit rough to be honest. The doors dropped when you opened them, the shifter return spring was a gonner and the sills looked a bit crusty. Between the odd missing covers in the engine bay, the shagged interior and the dealer telling porkies I walked away. However I stumbled on a Y reg 01 in red on the way back. 78,000, very tidy MOT in May tax in November. If it's still there Tuesday I'll take it for a drive and probably have it.

Thanks for this thread, It's very useful. Good luck Bonner, I hope you find a good one!

Vin plates on the bulkhead behind the RH strut top and engine number is stamped down the front of the engine block where it meets the gearbox bell housing

Well, I'm happy to report that I'm now the proud owner of a red, Y reg Micra. Everything matched up and looks straight. We worked him down to £900 but got him to throw in a year's MOT and the tax disk (That he was going to send back to the previous owner) that's got 10 months on it. Not bad at all if you ask me. It's getting MOT'd today and someone's picking it up tomorrow (due to me being at work)

congrats m8 :)
hope it passes with flyin colours.
would be nice to post a pic when u can

Cheers man, will do. I've had it stashed down at the girlfriend's family farm for the time being as it's not being insured for a month (Bike insurance runs out on the 20th of March and I'll have 3 years no-claims that they should let me transfer over to the car). I'll drop by soon and take some pictures when I go give it a service. Buying the bits now!

Back