New copies of my Micra keys

O

osoull

Hi There,

Does anyone know a cheap place to get copies of my car keys? It's just that I've been to this place and they wanted to charge me £30 to copy the keys and the guy even told me that perhaps I would have to go to a Nissan dealer to get it copied because apparently there's a chip inside the key. And apparently the Nissan dealer can charge me around £70 for a copy!!!! is he misleading me?

I have a Micra Passion, 1998, R reg.

Thanks a lot in advance

Oliver

Hi There,

Does anyone know a cheap place to get copies of my car keys? It's just that I've been to this place and they wanted to charge me £30 to copy the keys and the guy even told me that perhaps I would have to go to a Nissan dealer to get it copied because apparently there's a chip inside the key. And apparently the Nissan dealer can charge me around £70 for a copy!!!! is he misleading me?

I have a Micra Passion, 1998, R reg.

Thanks a lot in advance

Oliver

if it has nats then yes it needs the chip copying and as far as i know you do need to get nissan to copy it. but i am sure there will be other places. if it is a problem you could put a non nats ecu in the car and just get a regular key cut :)

the guy isn't pulling your leg. that's how it works i'm affraid. or do as nex suggests and wire in a pre-nats ecu- but it's very tricky.
me personally, i would get a cheap standard key cut for about £5 and just use your nats key. then if you do loose the nats key, then use the standard key to get a new nats key and tow the car to nissan to get it coded. it'd only cost the same, but you may never have to buy another if you don't loose the nats key;)

the guy isn't pulling your leg. that's how it works i'm affraid. or do as nex suggests and wire in a pre-nats ecu- but it's very tricky.
me personally, i would get a cheap standard key cut for about £5 and just use your nats key. then if you do loose the nats key, then use the standard key to get a new nats key and tow the car to nissan to get it coded. it'd only cost the same, but you may never have to buy another if you don't loose the nats key;)

retro fitting a non nats ECU its a straight swap, no complications other than crawling around in the footwells for about 15 min :D

retro fitting a non nats ECU its a straight swap, no complications other than crawling around in the footwells for about 15 min :D

didnt work when my keys went wrong .got 2 none nats ecu,s and niether of them would power up the car. mind you nats had kicked in if it makes a differance i dont know...

Ring around the car accessory places in your area (www.yell.com) and ask them if they copy chipped keys, the keys with the red dots on them.

I found a place in Blackurn near where I used to live that does them for £10. All they do is cut you a new key that has the chip in it, then put your old key in a reader which reads the chip, then they put the new key in the reader and copy the code over. Simple.

Don't let Nissan rob you. Ring around and save £££££

Ed's converted a micra from nats to non nats by changing and rewiring the ECU, so it can be done

Back