new car what should it be?

I'd still say the 100NX. Cheap and cheerful GA16. Has the innards of the Nissan Sunny, which is a simple car. It's faster than the Micra and it has a removable roof. The most common place for rust is the rear inside turrets. Check them out on any NX's you go to see, if they're all good. You have a reliable, cheap and solid car.

The 100NX is nice i am a fan, it just has to be done right like the pic on page 1, if a little lower. (Y)

The 100NX may be group 11, but it is still a cheap car to insure. My insurance on a 100NX is £700~. On a 1.6 Hyundai coupe which is group 9, I cannot even get a price. Just give it a try.

I concur, it is crazy, but insurance group does not seem to bare a direct correlation to premium. For example, when a car is new, the insurance group is issued. As cars age, the costs of repair can vary wildly. Popular vehicles tend to have cheaper parts than they would otherwise. Also the insurance companies interpretation of risk will become more accurate. As a rule, higher insurance group = higher premium, but it is not always true as hyundai noted.

just been too view a primera gt on a S plate with 91k miles the bodywork looked ok except rust around the spoiler, just the interior wasnt in the best of conditions, is that a bad sign usually?

rust around the spoiler happens on all GTs as they fitted the spoiler before painting the car.

interior being in bad condition means it could have been used on more shorter journeys but 91k is #### all mate!

Well for the price it is £590 shame the insurance is a bit high for me at the moment or I would have snapped it up!

Well tax is a must, so I guess you may need to look at something else. Majority of people only buy cars with TAX and MOT, it may be best if you follow this example. It's not nice to buy a car, then splash more money after it's been bought.

How about these?

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1026767.htm
http://pistonheads.com/sales/981459.htm

Nice finds there. Why do people insist on ruining lovely little cars like these by putting generic 17" wolfcrap alloys on, i dunno lol.

yeah but I dont really want a 2 litre as tax costs are rather high and insurance is a bit more. Also I could take the alloys of my micra and fit them.

GA16 engine same as almeras/primeras, I'd imagine they share brakes too..
Parts shouldn't be much of a problem.

If you need anything for the 100NX, just find a Nissan Sunny. There are plenty of these cars around so finding parts isn't hard. Any engine problems, just look for any 1.6 Nissan. The roof isn't just a glass, also you can lock them from the inside. Just go look at one and you'll see what I mean, it's very secure.

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10.html?apc=3128339010848601 - top 10

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10_worst.html?apc=3128339010848601 - bottom 10

VAGs are no where near as reliable as they used too. Just dealers trying to cash in on an image you could associate with them 10+ years ago. Cars are getting too many onboard computers for control, too many gadgets. More stuff in a car, more to go wrong.

i think thats very interesting that skoda are in the top ten and audi are in the bottom :suspect: i'm not saying your wrong. i think that the audi owners in general would say that they are very reliable (btw i'm refering to 1995-2003 not the new audi range) but i think that this is because the engines dont fail as such, like you said its usually the external sensors that let it down, but there arent really that many gadgets and computers on a 1996-2003 audi a3/vw golf etc.

Id never touch a rover

but the older the car is the more likely it is to rush break down etc, to say I went for a 02 ford focus for example as apposed to a 100nx which is around 95

well you are wrong on the rovers, my old 200 1.6 is quicker 0-60 that the 160sr. so if you can pick up a minter with the 1.8VVC engine or if your lucky the 2 litre t series conversion which you can get found about 2500 they are well worth it!

Rovers are underestimated and are amazing cars, there are lots of rough ones which mean lots of spare parts etc :)...do it :)

peh, my car is 1993, not skipped a beat at all! Age means nothing, just buy a decent car in the first place and it will be fine. And if you have £2000 to spend how come you couldn't afford the £500 primera?

Yeah I can afford it but apparently the passenger side window is off the rails or something. I read it is expensive to fix, perhaps I am wrong though.

Its the fact I cant pay for the insurance so in theory I couldnt drive it till Im paid next.

Your 23, surely you can get insurance cheaper than £1300?

Take the door card off and put some tiger seal or araldite on the rails, no cost at all.

Back