Thinking of selling the Micra.. upgrades?

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Hi folks
havent been on this site awhile (mainly because my lil' baby has been behaving perfectly). Am thinking of upgrading to a slightly bigger and safer car, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for Ms Fussy!

Want a hatchback, ideally 5 doors but compact, sunroof that slides right back (not the useless popup ones I've seen on some Golfs) and rear seats that fold flat so you can sleep in it in emergency. Needs to be able to carry lots of camping gear and be tough enough to cope with the occasional dirt track at festies, so not so lowered that it is going to get stranded (the Micra has coped admirably here!)

At least as much oomph as a Micra 1.3, so probably a 16v.
As reliable as the Micra!
Not so big that parking/manoevering will be a problem (for someone who cannot park to save their life...)
Does at least 40mpg average
Lower tax band would be good. Couldnt afford more than group 7 or 8 insurance.

Budget £800 max. Was thinking perhaps a Pug 306 turbo-diesel, Honda Civic 1.5 Vtec, Toyota Corolla 1.3 GS (the one with round headlights), Ford Focus 1.4/1.6 or Almera 1.4.

Anyone owned any of these or have any advice?
Thanks

Cath x

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Wouldn't worry about safety, after crashing my k11, i think its one of the safest small cars.
Almera, primera etc fro bigger, stay jap imo.

OP
OP
lewic

lewic

Ex. Club Member
ModdedMicra I have to say I am amazed you are here to tell the tale of that crash... I'm hoping it is due to the inbuilt crash zones rather than luck, but anyhow am glad you are OK!

Almera is probably top of my list at mo, but get tempted whenever I see ads for Civic 1.5 @ 112 bhp (esp in metallic turquoise). Have to remind myself that I really need something practical and the insurance is silly. And I need to remind myself that the practical-looking 1.6 Golf is no faster than the Micra and costs loads more to run!

OP
OP
lewic

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Anyone want a Micra?

Well, I have put a deposit on an R reg Toyota Corolla. Nice metallic green with lots of electric gizmos. Looks in vgc, allegedly owned by an elderly couple. Not quite as quick off the mark as the Micra though!

Was looking at Almeras but the NCAP crash test put me off, and Focuses were all really expensive.

So.. I am getting rid of the Micra soon. Tax runs out end October and MOT December. Will try to get the MOT done again before I sell it though as it went through the last couple with no problems. Its an L reg LX 1.3, purple-grey metallic, good bodywork (kept in garage by previous owner) and no major problems that I know of.
Email me [email protected] if you are interested and I'll send pics (seem to have lost the ability to post photos on here!)