New Air Filter

thegman89

Ex. Club Member
Just fitted my new Green Cotton Air Filter!

No difference in power, but gives off a nice noise! My first "mod" and am ratyher happy with it :)

induction1small.jpg

induction2small.jpg

You might as well rip out the air box hosing, probably doesnt do anything now apart from rattle!

Hmmmmmm, i haven't got my standard air box, but i don't think i have the oil breather!!! Might have to look at it later!!

Looking good though! What mod have you got planned next?

Not enough to make any significant difference really! You'l get plenty of cold air from below the engine & the front grilles to suffice. The plastic pipe will make little difference.

If any!!

And yeah i'm worried now lol. Will have a look later!

Ems, you've got a K&N like me, the induction kit has a pipe on the bottom of it which goes to the oil breather.

The K&N supplies air 2 both the throttle body and oil breather so no need to worry yourself.

Does getting rid of the breather filter and putting that different one on effect emitions on MOT as i have been told it does.

I passed an emmisions test with K&N and a really dodgy engine which was running awfully. No problemo!!!!!

Any changes to the engine can change the emissions, but a k&n will do between nothing and barely noticable to the emmisions!!

Does getting rid of the breather filter and putting that different one on effect emitions on MOT as i have been told it does.

No it doesnt. The breather filter is used to stop the air filter clogging up with oil, and isnt related to exhaust emissions in any way.

The K&N supplies air 2 both the throttle body and oil breather so no need to worry yourself.

?

The filter doesn't supply air to the breather, it works the opposite way round! The standard air box filter usually captures oil through the breather pipe, some say lubricates the inside of the throttle body or carb. By removing the normal filter & pipework, you need a breather filter to capture the oil that comes out (if any).

Ems, i'd check your pipe and see if anything's on the end of it.

Look where the breather filter is in the picture above, the green one. You need to check what's coming out there.

Ah right! well best get a seperate one unless you want the K&N filling up with oil

Ah right! well best get a seperate one unless you want the K&N filling up with oil
That came with the K&N, I think they know what they're doing. The reason the green cotton one didn't is probably because it wasn't a full induction kit, in fact in the pic of Ems' that large rubbery looking hose is exactly the same hose as links my breather to the K&N, and I bet it's plugged into the breather.

It's essentially plugged in exactly where it would be on the std airbox - after the filter.

Lol yes im sure they do, however personally i wouldnt want my nice K&N clogging up with oil! Would be less effective & require cleaning sooner than normal

Lol it does come out but yes not that much. I guess it's down to personal preference if you use a breather or not.

I haven't a clue what it was for when I got it to be honest - and the instructions didnt help as they were in French.

Didn't take the piping out yet mainly so there is a bit of cold air heading for it! Am planning on moving it behind the battery at some point.

Arnold i'm sure they designed it so it wouldn't clog up :p

Im not saying it clogs the whole thing up, or anything internal for that matter, it just means it'l need cleaning more frequently than if the oil went elsewhere!

Why you'd deliberatly want oil going into your K&N just doesnt make any sense to me, that's why breather filters exist.

Why you'd deliberatly want oil going into your K&N just doesnt make any sense to me, that's why breather filters exist.
It doesn't go into the filter!
James said:
It's essentially plugged in exactly where it would be on the std airbox - after the filter.
Therefore when you are actually moving, the air pressure of the air coming into the filter would force the oil (if there actually is any) downwards into the TB, not up!

It doesn't go into the filter!Therefore when you are actually moving, the air pressure of the air coming into the filter would force the oil (if there actually is any) downwards into the TB, not up!

Ok, maybe im not too sure where it goes on the K11 engine! On the K10, its directly into the filter.

Nissan!!! Are you mad?! You'll be robbed!!
E-bay, here Zane comes! :)

Nah can't find one that fits a standard airbox on there, all I can find are straight to air ones, which I don't want!

Oh arnold, on k11 the breather goes into the airbox, up stream of the main filter iirc, with its own small filter

Ps, if anyone knows an internet source of standard PCV breather filters let us know would you?

Back