Air Filter options..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Right,
I'm thinking about changing from my stock Air box with larger CAI and K&N Panel to a cone filter of some description still with a CAI going to it and with a shield around it to give it abit more protection from engine Heat.

But im not sure if this will have an increase in power, I would like the noise a cone filter makes and the surface area, I was thinking of placing it behind the battery, hopefully giving it the best chance for performance and I would run the CAI from the front grill to the area where the filter would be located,

Or can people suggest better options? I could go almera air box and K&N filter but that's going to be similar cost of a Cone filter or is there a way to modify the standard box?

Also from your experience where is the best place to put the cold air intake, Currently mines in the stock location behind the light..

Right,
I'm thinking about changing from my stock Air box with larger CAI and K&N Panel to a cone filter of some description still with a CAI going to it and with a shield around it to give it abit more protection from engine Heat.

But im not sure if this will have an increase in power, I would like the noise a cone filter makes and the surface area, I was thinking of placing it behind the battery, hopefully giving it the best chance for performance and I would run the CAI from the front grill to the area where the filter would be located,

Or can people suggest better options? I could go almera air box and K&N filter but that's going to be similar cost of a Cone filter or is there a way to modify the standard box?

Also from your experience where is the best place to put the cold air intake, Currently mines in the stock location behind the light..

Just my 2penith, i've used a few K&N panel / cone filters & have always had trouble with the filter oil being pulled through & coating the MAF sensor.. since them i've used Pipercoss / Green cotton with no problems :)

cool okay well im going to look to make the intake hole a little bigger on my current air box and probably move the intake pipe so it can get air from the front grills, Which would you say is better green cotton or piper cross, ill take a look :) if my air intake was mounted so it gets air directly from the front grill would I have an issue with rain water?

Last night I moved the intake from behind the light to next to the radiator so that it gets a direct shot of air from the front grills, It defo seems to be driving abit different, Like in first it pulls pretty hard and before it used to drop off abit when you go into second, now it seems to be pulling more like first throughout the gears.

I am looking to maybe change to a Pipercross filter, and also i'm going to make the hole a little bigger going in to the air box so my larger intake feed isn't just a waste, Does anyone know if it will be an issue having my intake directly in front of the grill for the likes of rain?

okay motor way speeds heavy rain and the intake right in the grill should be fine?
Thinking about it surely the air filter would stop any small amounts of water and it would have to manage to get round the pipe and in first.
It has certainly made a difference putting it there rather than behind the light though, I guess it will get a stronger current and cooler air from there :) I have air con that's never used so I was going to make an adjustment to the fan bracket to make the intake as infront of the grill as possible as currently it sits kinda in the fan behind the air con radiator.

Ill probably do that later though :p

Will I notice a performance difference changing from the K&N Filter to the Pipercross one?

okay motor way speeds heavy rain and the intake right in the grill should be fine?
Thinking about it surely the air filter would stop any small amounts of water and it would have to manage to get round the pipe and in first.
It has certainly made a difference putting it there rather than behind the light though, I guess it will get a stronger current and cooler air from there :) I have air con that's never used so I was going to make an adjustment to the fan bracket to make the intake as infront of the grill as possible as currently it sits kinda in the fan behind the air con radiator.

Ill probably do that later though :p

Will I notice a performance difference changing from the K&N Filter to the Pipercross one?
Probably not, maybe 1 hp difference? You'd need some serious performance mods before the difference in flow rates would make a noticable difference. Like turbo performance. And then sone probably

Okay ill just keep what i have then, im going to adjust my air box intake a little so that it can breath as best as possible, then possibly a decat but we will see what comes up..

Okay ill just keep what i have then, im going to adjust my air box intake a little so that it can breath as best as possible, then possibly a decat but we will see what comes up..
almera n15 airbox fits with minimal mods, has bigger filter area and intake dia... looks stock too

pmb5.jpg

here I enlarged the inlet port with a dremel n bonded a bigger drain pipe to it
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/#post-381100

31909140.jpg

and here I make a smooth DIY mandrel-bent PVC CAI pipe that feeds from under the gearbox
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-7#post-412661

joined to the airbox via silicone coupler
98219563.jpg

at high speed, the fast cool stream of air is rammed into the forward facing funneled pipe and provides a slightly noticable difference in top-end grunt. fitting a bigger scoop funnel further increases the induction pressure.

the downside is the possibility of scooping water during heavy rain but I remember after afew rain sessions, the water spray only appeared up 1/3 of the pipe cos it didn't have enough velocity or volume to reach the filter (tbh most of the content flowing through the pipe is air, unless you literally drive through a river n submerge the pipe) so the KN filter was always dry.
I just avoided roadside puddles and removing the pipe as a precaution was as easy as undoing the coupling and pull it out.

Thanks for your insite Paul, I think it was your Airbox that gave me the idea of enlarging the intake port. Im planning to give this a go this weekend, but im still aiming to keep the pipe going to the front grill :)

Ill have to let you know paul, Depends how well mine goes this weekend as I already have all the bits to do it, And already have a K&N filter in there just gotta remove it cut the hole a little bigger, Bond the pipe on then clip the pipe to the gutter :)
Did you notice any improvement from opening up the Airbox inlet?

Back