oil in air filter

Hi new member here guys,
So hi to all,

The two of us use this Barry And carol, Tho Milly is carols car,
Milly is a K11 ( i think 1998) red 1.0i 16v

Ok Just went to change the air filter and i noticed its wet, with oil,
Not too sure on micra's as its my first time looking at it properly,
But im pretty sure there shouldnt be oil in there, tho before i meet carol she did have a mishap and landed milly on her side lol,

Also im giving it a service and gradualy doing it up, so i was thinking of replacing the filter with a k&n pannel filter, with a CAF

Done the same for my car a while back and it certainly can breath easyer

Thanks guys

Barry + carol

Hello. with filters like K&N, you can actually get a recharge kit which includes Oil, which you usually cover the filter in. It's possible someone has done this to your standard filter to clean it instead of replace it.

Also, the breather filter on the rocker cover connects to the air filter too, and engine oil can pass through this. Usually not that much though.

What colour oil do you have on it?

agree with arnold above, if the car hasnt had a service in a while its likely that the oil from the crankcase breathing system would have passed through the breather hose onto the air filter.

if the car's been on it's side, then it's possible for oil to leak through the oil breather pipe in the cam cover, and throught the pcv filter in the airbox (it's a diamond ish shaped cotton filter front left in the airbox as you look at car from front), if that's soaked aswell, just try changing that also, or just fit the k&n filter kit as you mentioned.

Thanks guys had a look today when i got the mazda out the garage ( oh dont you love MOT time :( )

Ok oil seems to be coming from the breather,
Filter is soaked in oil and it wasnt cleaned at least not to the previous owners knownledge,

I would say there was 50-100 ml of oil in the air box, but cleaned out and replaced today witha k & n Pannel filter, makes the engine less tinny if you know what i mean, ( i hate the cheap induction kits, and not going to spend what i spent on my carbon bmc cda kit for the mazda lol)

and just one small question, i have the chance of an accident damaged march turbo, will the engine fit in a 98?

March Turbo being the K10 engine right? It would be far easier to fit a 1.3 K11 engine, and you'd have the same BHP as a result (75) and more tuning potential / relibility.

i'll have the turbo :D

the oil will most likely be from the flip. you will probably find that the new filter doesn't build up with oil. if it does then the engine may have too much oil in it.

don't bother retro fitting the turbo engine in a k11 there are plenty of easier solutions to more power.

best bet is a 1.3 like arnold said. they are tough, and i have one spare ;)

Back