Never Under Estimate Puddles!!

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Well....tonight was an event! Was on my way to a friends and was gonna cut down through this country road. I turned off onto said country road and saw this puddle. I slowed down and thought to myself "Ah thats shallow i'll get through that piece of ####"

How i was VERY wrong! I dropped down to 1st gear and rolled into the puddle/ford/mini river and got about half way. The car started slowing down so i put my foot down abit but she didnt like it and came to a hault. Engine cut out and smoke started to pour from the bonnet.

I've got a cold air feed running from the air box to the bottom of my car. This acts a vacuum to suck air in,but obviously sucked water in (obviously water CANT be compressed,like air). I rung my friend and he came and towed me out 20mins later. Got back to his and checked the engine bay. The panel filter was drenched and the inside of the Air Box had abit of water in.

I would assume that alot of water got sucked through into the air box and down the throttle body,probably resulting in ######ed con rods etc etc. I'll be heading back over there tomorrow to see if she starts.If she doesnt i'll be needing a new 1.3 engine.

Anyway....to show you all what it was like >> CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO <<

MORAL OF THE STORY: DONT DRIVE THROUGH LARGE PUDDLES!!

That is a whole lot of a river rather than a puddle.. I'm new here but I hope I have the right to call you a complete muppet for trying to drive through :)

This morning I woke up to find a puddle already in my car..before I even drove anywhere so at least you got to drive a dry car to start with!

ha ha hooded ya crazy fool even i wouldnt have even have given it a thought about driving through it i just wouldnt have

Oh dear, take plugs out before you try to turn it over again, you may be lucky who knows....

unlucky

I hope your car works again dude, didnt you have a crash earlier this year? you could use some good luck, not some more bad! hope she starts!:doh:

I would have driven through it too tbh, it only comes up to the sidewall on the tyre, I'd consider deep above the axel lol

you might be alright, it could just have been since the filter got wet the car wasnt able to breath properly.

lol dude the way you get through cars, maybe they are not for you lol

i hope the engine isn't knacked but if it is then...omg you have the worst luck

same happened to me. water went up my air feed into the throttle body into the engine. got the car running there and then in a hours time. and has been fine ever since lol.

all we did was get some jump laeads, tried and tried to start it..and everntually started, cut out, then started lol

now if the engine was mid mounted (like my mr2) you wouldnt have this problem! :p the morale of the story? buy an mr2 :D

seriously though dude that "puddle" looks like a proper mission! i hope you get it sorted! :(

This the same cold are feed as the guide on cisco's site yer? A few people have had problems with that as it just gets submerged in puddles. good luck getting it sorted mate!

now if the engine was mid mounted (like my mr2) you wouldnt have this problem! :p the morale of the story? buy an mr2 :D

seriously though dude that "puddle" looks like a proper mission! i hope you get it sorted! :(

i am pretty sure if you get the turbo import you still have this problem lol they have the gravel catchers on the bottom,

what he should have done is hit it at 100mph aquaplaned the whole lot like a hovercraft! :D

i am pretty sure if you get the turbo import you still have this problem lol they have the gravel catchers on the bottom,

what he should have done is hit it at 100mph aquaplaned the whole lot like a hovercraft! :D

lol would have had to pick up his bumpers on the way back :D

lol would have had to pick up his bumpers on the way back :D

na the car would create a vacume, there would be a pocket of air behind the car that would suck up the bumpers and drag them along too :D then all thats left to do is assemble the car lol

Where you gonna try next? English channel? :rolleyes: lol

i think the idea is to try more challenging tasks only after you complete the easy tasks lol

tho the English channel... pah its just a puddle lol

Love it, where did that happen? I would have gone at it at speed to get through. My air feed is mounted on top behind the grill. You need a sump guard fitted!!

didnt you thought it was shallow but, hang on a min, it is bloody long, hmmm i got a air filter sucking the air from the bottom, i think the worst thing was to go slow, if you going thought fire you run as fast you can and try to creat some air protecation,

and k10 are cool, but there also have a habbit of letting water in.

i think you know the moral of the story, its not a range rover.

k6pfs it happened on Colney Lane (in between the N&N Hospital and Heathersett)

Went over tonight to try take the spark plugs out and didnt have a 3/8" extenstion bar long enough so gonna try again tomorrow

Pft you call that a puddle! That's nothing.

I drove through something similar and my car kept on driving, with alot of smoke (just all warm parts cooling down fast), and then the car lost alot of power, then just started spluttering and died.

The solution was about 30 - 40 minutes of just turning the starter motor every 5 / 10 minutes, and pumping fuel through.

It took a while, but eventually it fired up, airbox was drenched. I dunno how it worked tbf..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpGtxRndTP0 Mine after the flood :p

i drove through something similar to that. had no problem but my air feed is not low down... to be honest i would never put an air feed really low becuase of how many people that have broke engines doing it.... hope its ok!

Dad went over today to try turn it over to get any water out. Put the spark plugs back in and it didnt start. Him and his mate towed it back to our house so we can have a good look at it. Gonna take the head off and have a look. Had a quick look down the head where the sparks are and theres water in there.

Gonna be checking the con rods and also the mass air flow metre to see if those are damaged (more than likely)

Dad went over today to try turn it over to get any water out. Put the spark plugs back in and it didnt start. Him and his mate towed it back to our house so we can have a good look at it. Gonna take the head off and have a look. Had a quick look down the head where the sparks are and theres water in there.

Gonna be checking the con rods and also the mass air flow metre to see if those are damaged (more than likely)

ooh that sounds pretty bad, you really arn't having much luck with cars are you?

i would take the plugs out and turn it over some more, really flush it clean, as long as the cons arn't bent it should start once it is free of water, as long as you haven't damaged the electrical side of things.

Ok will try that tomorrow :)

Yeah dont seem to have much luck with Micras :(

at least this one is still in one peice :D i am sure this isn't so bad, at worst its an engine swap which will be a day of your time and £75 for a new engine.... but as long as nothing is broken then it should be possible to get it running again

Thats why the stock air feed is tucked away in the top corner! Sorry to hear about this you havent had a very lucky year dude.

Update on Barry Boys LOL they've seen my post on another forum and updated my topic and also commented on the video on YouTube.

New engine arrives tonight,1300cc for 80 pounds (from a next door village). Car & engine are going over to a friends tonight and work will begin.

I'll be having the Air Con unit removed to save some weight,plus i dont need it anyway.

This is much more commonly done than most people think..

I hit this around 40mph late at night in my mums micra on the way home late at night..

.. came round the corner and thought.. ''aint that deep that''

Heres a picture of it the next day with around 3/4 cars broken down either side.. they closed the road for 2 weeks later that day..

dsc01123pb5.jpg

eeebd2.jpg

Hitting it at the speed I did and the depth it was, it was like hitting a wall..

killed the engine .. had the fit new one..

Ah sorry didnt see a new reply in this topic sorry for the late reply!

Engine and car was dropped off last Thursday and my dad's mate is fitting the engine. Believe he started on it Saturday just gone but not sure how far hes got so far.

Back