Corrosion on your Micra - Never ??!!

After a lengthy battle with Nissan Customer Services, I have decided to post this thread to warn all Micra owners of a manufacturing fault which Nissan are denying. I would bet that most would say there is no corrosion on their vehicle..... Right ? Do yourself a favour, look at the rear of the roof and down into the drainage area before you get to the top of the rear hatch door. I have seen so many Micras affected by this (new and old) and Nissan refuse to accept this. I have pictures to prove it ! I don't have rust anywhere else on the car but it has severely flaked in this groove and is starting to rust in this area. Have a check if you dare .... it might scare the pants off you. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. Unfortunately, it's not an easy job to get in there to rub down, prepare and spray it. It's barely possible to get a finger in there with the hatch raised, let alone any polish ! That's why so many people miss it. I would be interested to hear of anyone elses experiences. I can provide piccies if required.

No-one on here would say they had no rust on their cars. K11's suffer from corrosion on the front cross members and rear sills mainly.

Are you referring to the bare patch of primer on the roofline where it meets the rear tailgate?

It's kinda difficult to describe where I've seen this. If you raise the hatch, follow the roof along from front to back and as it drops down half inch or so, this is the area that is affected. It's the vertical (actually concave) part that is at fault not the flat area which then runs down to drain away elsewhere. It's an awful place to get to and unless you're willing to disconnect the electrics and remove the hatch, your stuffed really. On this Micra, there is virtually NO rust apart from the ocassional stone chip and that is why I am so aware of it. Hope this helps, if not gimme another shout.

yeah i think i know where your talking about!
i have it on mine too!
its where the top of te boot is?
it is very hard to get in there, i have just ignored it rly lol

You're right there buddy, it's not hole piercing rust, it's a case of flaking paint exposing the lower layers of primer and a couple of places where the moisture has penetrated the primer, it given way to formation of rust coloured areas. Why that arera omitted to be correctly treated at manufacture is a bit of a mystery but it is inherent in a large majority of Micras - not all, I hasten to add, but a very significant number. Yours is obviously not too bad I'm glad to hear but some you would not believe !!

This is a fault with all early K11's due to the paint robots being poorly setup. Both my K11's have primer in this area. My SuperS is fine and there is no corrosion, however my 1.0 K11 runabout has some surface corrosion.....but it only cost me £700 and I'm not really bothered. Some Boeshield has stopped it in it's tracks anyways.

Yes, I'm sure you're right about the robot setup, it is clearly a fault at manufacturing level (one that could be easily rectified through software). I had an independent quote for a respray which amounted to just under £400 ! If you paid £700 for the car in the first place, it may make you consider if it is worth it for all of a millisecond. Thanks for the Boeshield tip, I'll look into that. In the meantime, if anyone has their vehicle still within the anti corrosion warranty, this would most definitely be worth following up with Nissan as I have seen the start of this with Micras just a couple of years old. The new models have been constructed in the same way so would be interested to see if they develop this fault too.

I have a nice rust patch at the front of the sunroof inside the car. Ill get pics of it. If i have a poke round id probably create a hole and I dont want the inside of my car to get wet when it rains so im not gonna touch it :p

It looks like the front channel for the sunroof drainage thing.

Ryan.

Back