I hate water....my little story.

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
cars and big puddles dont work well together! me mum was coming back over the tops about an hour ago, she hit a puddle at 50mph (nation speed limit road) the car was fine until 2 minutes later down the road it kept jerking and sunddnly cut out and wouldnt start.

half anhour later i turnned up with my gran in her car (micra 1.3 whooo) i tried to start it but the car kept trying to go, with no luck...then jumped it didnt seem to go, then suddenly ''bang bar bar bar bang'' sounding like it was on loads of throttle bodys it started but really ruff and sounded like it was missing, revved it abit and over 3revs it seemed fine, thinking hmmm why does it sound like that?? assuming it was the tb i looked at the air filter and holy hell! it was drenched! got the car upto temp, and drove off...everytime the car got to a juction etc you would have to sit on the clutch above 3000revs.

the only thing we was dreading was the big hill he had to go up (for those of you around chesterfield area its called slack hill) first was fine and so was second...dropped in 3 it was juddering like mad making the sound like it did before. then bang the power kicked in picked up engough speed and crawld to the top in second. luckly the car seems to run fine now....still got the jurnouy home (at me grans house lol) lets hope she keeps running.

so basiclly the tb has sucked water in thus meaning there has to be abit of water in the engine, and tb didnt seem to be working right...if she was in a french car etc it wouldve been dead! all i can say jap cars are the best!

car just wants servicing now ;)

depends how much water you took in, could have damaged engine internals!

slack hill is mental, when i went to pick my exhaust up from ian i accelerated up there to the speed limit and passed a 1.8 vectra that was quite clearly struggling..hahaha

If enough water got into the cylinders then you could have had a hydraulic lock, as Ed says it may have caused internal damage, bent valves, conrods or in extreme circumstances (i've only seen it once) a bent crank, Best dry the engine out properly, take the plugs out and turn the engine over to blow any water out of the bores then check it out to see if theres any damage.

i hit water in mine thats well deep enough for a massive spash on each side, and you can feel the water on the under floor, but never misses a beat, even been up to the sills in water and it was fine (not fast LOL), spotlights looks cool when half in the water lol!

mine just knocks the power cable off the alternator in puddles....thats fun getting out to re-connect it in the middle of rush hour.....in the rain;...... outside the local college......lol

car now runs fine with no problems...started first time this morning. surley the cold air feed wouldnt pick up that much water? everywhere in the eninge was wet!

think iam gonna put my std air box back on with my green cotten panel filter in...and have the cold air feed behind the grill going to the std air box. just to be on the safe side and should have better gians.

Well if you have a direct route for the air, then its more direct for the water as well...
Hopefully your gonna get away with it, my old bike used to sometimes ingest a little bit of water in really bad spray conditions on the motorway, but it never harmed it, (but i think we're talking really small quantities).
I can't see there still being water in if you've been running it for a while now at proper operating temp.

Back