Neutral switch

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all,

does the CG13de manual gearbox have a neutral switch? and if so where is it? what conector is it? (eg, does anyone have any pics) and finally does anyone know if it puts out a Negative signal, possitive signal or just what ever you give it?

thanks people :D

nex

on mine, there,s a 4 wire plug near the starter motor, and on the haynes ecu diag, it,s a negative signal

nex

on mine, there,s a 4 wire plug near the starter motor, and on the haynes ecu diag, it,s a negative signal

is that something you have seen with your eyes or on a diagram? cos i have a box infront of me now and it has two wires coming out of it, one at the top and one at the bottom, each wire has a two pin plug on the end, i have used a multimeter to work out that one is reverse but the other doesn't seem to do anything no matter how i put the gearing

ooooooooooooooooooooh! thats interesting, my gearbox doesn't seem to have that, they must have changed it at some point. but still there is only two things you are going to monitor on a gearbox, reverse and neutral. which must be what the other connector is on my box but i am not getting anything from it on the multimeter

just done some digging, it looks like the 1.3 boxes have a two pin plug and the 1.0 have a 4 pin plug. will have to double check that tho

nex the early 1.0 gearbox has it all built into one plug...where as the 1.3 gearbox has the neutral switch seperate from the rest.

so youre correct :)

cant say what the neutral switches do tbh...because you can still start the car in gear, so it cant be an inhibitor switch like the autos have...

Edit: actually i suppose it could be, because when i started mine in gear (accidentally), that switch was defective...never tried it since :D

nex the early 1.0 gearbox has it all built into one plug...where as the 1.3 gearbox has the neutral switch seperate from the rest.

so youre correct :)

cant say what the neutral switches do tbh...because you can still start the car in gear, so it cant be an inhibitor switch like the autos have...

Edit: actually i suppose it could be, becuase when i started mine in gear, that switch was defective...never tried it since :D

it,s probably just extra info for the ecu, i think the injector,s close when you lift the throttle (while moving) but the injector,s function at tickover (zero throttle).
tho mine seemed to run ok with the plug disconected :confused:

well i have never found a use for it becasue all my cars will start in gear,

but anyway, so its the 1.3 boxes that have the seperate plug, but does anyone know how they work? do they break easily? cos i am really getting nothing out of this plug, so i am not sure how to get a signal from it

with a multimeter connected across the points you should get a beep (cant remember when though...either open or closed)...so long as it does that, the switch is fine iirc.

Theres a mention of it in the haynes somewhere...guessing in the gearbox section :)

with a multimeter connected across the points you should get a beep (cant remember when though...either open or closed)...so long as it does that, the switch is fine iirc.

Theres a mention of it in the haynes somewhere...guessing in the gearbox section :)

ah ok i will check again. i had the multimeter on continueity *sp obviously and had the box in what i thought was neutral and then gear. the box is on its own out of the car so i am just pulling the gearing end, obviously everything is back to front so reverse is push in when you pull the gearstick. i got a buzz from the reverse switch but nothing from the neutral.

i assume it must be knackered. i will check on one of my other cars but i am just wondering why it has broken? surly these are hardcore switches cos they are a pain to replace, the reverse ones are always fine

cant say Nex, :) i can only assume its because the neutral switch is being hit, everytime you change gear etc...so it would get a fiar bit of usage...the switch is checked by the diagnostic system so probs best if it works, but again no idea what the ecu uses it for :)

cant say Nex, :) i can only assume its because the neutral switch is being hit, everytime you change gear etc...so it would get a fiar bit of usage...the switch is checked by the diagnostic system so probs best if it works, but again no idea what the ecu uses it for :)

ok is it the same as the reverse switch? if it's broken could i just use a reverse switch?

i just cut the wires (leaving them long for reattaching) because you can get a socket/ring spanner on it, it undid pretty easily...dont have to touch the box itself.

Oil will leak out...but not alot, i positioned the car to keep as much oil as possible away from the switch, then just got myself ready and stuck my finger over the hole when i removed the old one and quickly refitted the new one :) ...so what i guess im saying is, no you dont have to drain the oil :laugh:

i just cut the wires (leaving them long for reattaching) because you can get a socket/ring spanner on it, it undid pretty easily...dont have to touch the box itself.

Oil will leak out...but not alot, i positioned the car to keep as much oil as possible away from the switch, then just got myself ready and stuck my finger over the hole when i removed the old one and quickly refitted the new one :) ...so what i guess im saying is, no you dont have to drain the oil :laugh:

lol cool so it is just a screw in thing like the speedo cable and such :D thanks mate i will pull it out tonight and run some tests on it :D

if you are wondering, the ECU slightly increases the engine revs when your in gear, something about there being a small amount of friction in the clutch...iirc

dont quote me on that though

Back