Need Help =[

Anderson

Buy & Sell Member
My micra has let me down for the first time ever

MOT FAILED :down:

Drivers sill between half and quater of the sills length is rusted or has a massive weight reduction hole
And theres a small patch on the crossmember

Anybody a welder willing to travel to North West- Manchester

Il get some pictures up in next few hours if anybodys able give me a quote (Y)

if its the front xmember, then it shouldnt fail you. its not within 30cm of any suspension equiptment, i could get you a general price for all of the sills if you want from my mate who owns a garage, its in birkenhead though. pm me if you want

Sills are pretty common on Micras. Have a look at the Sills on my Super S in my blog, LOL!

Manchesters a bit far south for me but any decent small garage should be able to make a patch up and weld it on for you.

Look for established garages that look busy, get a few quotes first. For a patch on the sill if its just the straight flat section you should expect to pay up to £100.

You get 10 working days from when you fail your MOT to have it repaired without needing a full retest.

Sills are pretty common on Micras. Have a look at the Sills on my Super S in my blog, LOL!

Manchesters a bit far south for me but any decent small garage should be able to make a patch up and weld it on for you.

Look for established garages that look busy, get a few quotes first. For a patch on the sill if its just the straight flat section you should expect to pay up to £100.

You get 10 working days from when you fail your MOT to have it repaired without needing a full retest.

Getaway! you know your stuff, is it possible to repair the sills and make it look pretty? all i ever see is ugly sills! this is for future reference if anything :p

LOL! The prettiness depends on the welder, thats why mine look rubbish!:laugh:

If a patch will cover the hole I'd grind the welds down and give it a skim of filler. Won't be undetectable but will look tidy enough.

If the holes are underneath the edge of the bodywork I'd weld it up then give them a coat of paint and leave them. A good tidy weld looks better and more honest. If you cover it up with filler people will wonder if you have repaired it or just stuffed it full of filler!

Thanks for all your replies, well to be honest this is a real mess i could quite easily put my foot through it! and its half the sill long.

All the garages i went to wanted £200+ without spraying but i managed to source someone in the dark pages of yell nice guy came to my house gave me a quote came back next day prepared,welded, bluffed,rust treatmeant sill and front xmember £100 took him 4 hours hat off to the guy for the good pricing !

Micra just escaped the scrap yard fate =D

i see theyr is some goodness about good on him and you(get him more work!)
grinding the welds away and rust proofing that is about as good as it gets without doing the full job

He said he would of replaced the entire sill for 150 =O which i thought was quite good. i know i want to get him more work he was so good i feel i should break a friends car just so they can get him to fix it ha!

Oh dear! when i was watching the guy doing it i thought to myself this should be a continueus seam weld but i thought he said it will pass what he did was tack but every milish apart so the welds were pretty close together. anyway the MOT station have just basically laughed at it! so im going to call the guy today and see what the crack is =[

half my sill was also rotten
when my welder man finnished his weldering i told him hold up wait a minute
i jumped on the grinder and ground back the welds which reveild little holes so he was able to fillem in
so its the same job as before and he shouldnt charge you,,,,honest mistake looks like,,at least cover his fuel cost should sort it

Well update ive rang him twice to come round and he has said he will come twice and not turned up and now hes not even answering the phone now. =\ Not all bad hes left his postcode on another ad ive found for him somewhere else =D

I'll show you pictures of my pretty sill work on my old super-s which took me about 3-4 hours per sill. Me being a joiner lol and this being the car a crashed and scrapped a couple weeks later. Will find those pics asap

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    750.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    843.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    862.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    847.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    771.6 KB · Views: 149
see them little holes, as the pics above show if you filler and smooth down then (minimum)paint with rust proof stuff its solid even if mot guy taps it hard so should pass,i have in the past
in other words tydee up and it should pass-with a slight groan from mot man:laugh:

Thanks for the pics stani and info r reg i was considering getting a Cough Dodgy MOT but il give it another go and filler and ..... i just wernt sure if i could get away because the guy had already seen it and he really went through it all with a fine combe. Anyway il do the work and just say the guy tidyed it up aswell as a way of saying sorry =D Cheers for your comments guys and il let you know how i get on. with pictures cant say my colour is going to match tho as the spray in halfords that matches the code on my chassis plate dont match so may spray it black with some hammerite anti rust =D

OOooo aswell does anybody know anything about changing the balance in the brakes? as i have 53% on the back apparently

Back