my "new" old car

When I was marshalling a race day at Thruxton the other week there were several Maestros (the MG ones) bombing round in the MG series, competing with MGFs. I hadn't realised there were many left - guess they were all there that day. :p It gets better though... there were Montego estates on the track at the same time as well...

the MG maestro still fetches around 1500 upwards depending on condition and whether you can find one for sale, on paper its supposed to be really quick i wouldnt mind bombing around in one of these they are really wide and take speed humps with ease! Pretty good around corners as well considering its size.

replaced passenger side cv boot today with a new universal cv boot kit, this stuff is awesome!!

Its a box with a rubber cv boot with a split down the middle, you cut it to the size required then use the epoxy to glue down the centre once you have filled it full of grease everything comes as a complete kit was great! did the job perfect!!

Got extremely bored and decided the maestro needs a lick of paint...

Image014.jpg

Image015.jpg

Image016.jpg

still working on it should have it finished by 2mrw maybe monday latest....

A Meastro, Legend. I have to come see this. Gran had one in black.

If your looking to drive it rapidly you've got to keep them mid-revs, don't get swamped with first and second, unless you stop I wouldn't bother with first and only go down to second if you have to. God I didn't think there were any rover diesels going.

I looked at one of the 1.3 Maestro's when that firm in Ledbury started selling new ones a few years back.

You could if you were that sad, create a Metro 6R4 look alike using the maestro, they were based on the maestro floorpan rather than the metro.

Grrr what a motor.

For all of you who don't know what a 6R4 is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF4TktrYvL4

500bhp metro, has to be limited to 300bhp in order to compete these days.

Grrr.

Once you get going and are in mid range its nice to drive and throw around corners and roundabouts. Standard handling is excellent due to it being so wide, would be amazing if it was lowered a bit.

Its only got 60 odd hp but it seems to be enough to pull the old dog around, great on the motorway i get around 55mpg return very smooth and cruises with motorway traffic no problem.... i wnt mention at what speed! These days everyone seems to be travelling pretty fast on motorways i was doing 70mph in the middle lane and everyone was flashing me out the way 80 mph seems to be the national speed limit

well... i was doing 80mph on the speedo (72mph on the gps) and there were vans and all sorts passing me like i was stood still..

even still though... no one died that day...well not on that road anyway.

i hope youve registered it as black now...

Once you get going and are in mid range its nice to drive

Thats the ticket. My old 205 was like that. The 306 Panda cars we use are like that too, but get them out on an open road and your overtaken by all the petrol and grown up diesels :p

Kudo's dude.

it pushes chavved up saxos and corsas out the way on the m1 all day long!! its pretty good top end wnt say how much it has done! but it was suprising!

it pushes chavved up saxos and corsas out the way on the m1 all day long!! its pretty good top end wnt say how much it has done! but it was suprising!

Yes please don't. NA diesels tend to have quite a limited top end as they don't rev that high naturally and a lot tend to peter out with the available rpm in top gear.

is that emultion? and i love that gear change sound in that vid lol, notich the metro is LHD with the steering changed n put on the right?

yeah, a lot of the time the car might be lhd one year and rhd the next. Theres one for sale at the moment (£35000) that was LHD last season but is RHD now.

using a brush and im in sheffield.

Iv had a look out the window and the rain has messed things up this morning!!!! its going to start looking tacky unless i can recitify it soon

I sprayed a 2cv with rattle cans one year, worked a treat. Renault 'vert armee', basically a matt army green, covered well. I'd recomend it.

maestro owners club hate me with passion!! 1st of all i decide to paint the car black! Maestro owners club is full of old men, who get faint hearted when they see my posts, especially ones which involve me driving my maestro in muddy fields!!

they claim maestros are rare and classics and should not be treated like this, maestros are old and rusty in my opinion.

LOL Type R. considering what paint you use, its looking pretty good! (for what it is). I thought it was your run around though, don't go wreckin it!

My mate messed around in a field once, rolled it and hit a tree... not smart!

the maestro is near its death, ever after the field trip its not being quite right, got too much mud stuck in the cv joints which had no rubber on them.

tranmission sounds proper rough, im getting a new car tommorow.... its exciting.... nissan.... and old skool....

Back