My Micra had a crash and its worse than I thought...

Its a sad day today, and I don't know what to do.

A few months ago, my mum reversed my car into a caravan tow thingy on next doors 4x4. Its because she wouldn't wait 5 minutes for me to park it myself, so she tried it, even though she has only driven an automatic recently.
She crunched the gears 4 times, started reversing at last, and then forgot where the break pedal was. She was only doing about 10mph apparently, but I didn't see it myself.

Anyway, I looked at what I could see of the damage, and one thing I noticed straight away was the bumper. It was cracked.
The gear stick I also noticed was clanging, which I believe is a spring which is quite common to go, but it happened at that moment. Also we noticed the tail light had blown, so that was replaced, and the boot wouldn't lock properly, though it wasn't dangerous enough that it would flip open either.

Took it to be looked at today (after ages I know), and the damage is a lot worse.

Along with all that, he removed the boot cover and where the spare wheel is, the metal was jutting out. It took a while for him to even remove the spare, but the damage is also on the well too.

Here is a video anyway I took after getting back. You can hear me sighing haha, pretty much showing my dissapointment:

What do you think? The guy I went to see said that it would need a new bumper, and he could probably hammer out the metal so it wouldn't be noticeable, but I've also had people saying I should simply get rid :( That it wouldn't be sellable now, and is worth nothing. The damage he said is around £550-£700 depending on if I want a new floor pan too.

Thing is, I've only had it around a year, 8 months of which I've been driving it, and its only got 12500 miles on the clock.

I just don't know what to do. Is it worth fixing up?
I've just been told to run it into the ground as it simply isn't sellable anymore.
Going to see another guy tomorrow though, to see what they say about it :( Not happy :(

That doesn't look too terrible. And with just 12500 on the clock it really doesn't need to see a scrapyard just yet! I'd say fix it if it's financially viable and of course safe to do so.

I agree. The mileage is very low on it, which is why I'm more saddened by it.

How much should that cost to fix you reckon?

Is £550 a price you would consider paying to get that fixed? Would it fail an MOT? (I'm guessing that would be a yes seeing as its affecting the spare tire)

We'll see what they say tomorrow anyway but I'm more than dissapointed.
Thanks for the reply

get the hammer out and knock it back into shape and dont worry about it aslong as the car isnt crabbing i wouldnt care

Yeah, I was told to just get a cheap part for it and hammer it myself, but part of me wants to make it like new again, but is that part of me wrong?

I was told to just get a cheap part, fix it on, use a hammer and then run it into the ground as it isn't worth anyone elses money once its finished.

True? I really thought when I bought my Micra for £1200, it was honestly worth a lot more, and I'd be able to sell it on for a profit after 2 years or so, but now, I don't know what to think.

My red 1.0L was shunted from the rear whilst I was stationary at a roundabout. The rear bumper sheared a couple of bolts and I had to replace the slam panel. But on the rear inside the boot the floor was also pushed back slightly. I took a hammer to it and got it pretty much perfect. If I were you I'd definitely try this first before you hand it over. If that really is the only issue and you aren't suffering from crabbing then you shouldn't have any problems in the future. Your not running a stripped out track car either so you won't have to see it if it's a bit untidy.

Also, clip your mum around the ear for being so irresponsible with your pride and joy! :D

Cheers Adam, but I have a bumper. It's just wheather it can be unscratched to then be repainted, etc. Probabably just worth getting a new one.

Just brought it back from another place, and he is going to e-mail me expected prices later.

Almost didn't have a car to take back though, and I doubt I would be typing now.
On the way back, I was on a massive round about, and was one away from my exit, and this car comes hurtling towards mine doing 70 odd mph, because he was in the wrong lane and wanted to exit at the one I was going past.
I didn't see him until he was almost right infront of me, and it was litterally only a metre away from my car as it flew past.
That was a close call. Well shook me up.

Back