Been in a crash

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
As some of you already know, Ems and i were enjoying a nice evening out in the countryside when some drunken **** crashed into the side of our car

He was driving on the wrong side of the road, nearly smashed a cyclist off before what we thought was going to be a head on, until the last seconds when he turned, only because i beeped my horn. He hit the mirror first, followed by scraping down the side of the car. The alloy, arch piece and side of the bumper are wrecked and need some sorting out. Also the panel above the wheel is scraped all the way along.

Absolutly furious it happened, at the time i felt so angry/upset and concerned for Emma. I was unsure whether or not to call the police so i did anyway (any fit driver wouldnt be on the wrong side of the road like that) so they eventually came out. Whilst we were waiting for them to arrive, the guy was saying he had to get to work, then he said he had to get to france!?, and also said he wasnt going to hang around. I wasnt being polite as you may have gathered so he wasnt going anywhere until the police had dealt with him.

When they finally arrived, he was breathalysed and arrested. Im waiting for a call from the police to give me insurance details and stuff like that. Ems took down his reg etc at the time, but we thought it was best getting the police involved anyway.

Whats more annoying than that is at the time, my singapore's finest central locking decided to lock us out of our car for over an hour, so we had to wait at the top of the south downs, freezing our bits off waiting for my step dad to arrive with the spare key - We also left the engine running so it was using up fuel etc, anyway, the least of my worries.

I just hope he's insured and the car can be looking as good as new asap.

27.arnold_scratch.jpg

Damn man!!! So sorry to hear that!!! What an absolute tw@t!!! Well done for making him hang around, he deserves to have his license taken off him forever, and be thrown in jail. No driver should ever be drunk at the wheel, so annoying to see it happen. I imagine that you must be very very annoyed. Hope it gets sorted though mate, good luck with it. :) At least both you and Ems are safe and the car can be fixed too.

jees mate dunno wat you can say bad days! i probs would have broke his legs and made him stay!! atleast you both are ok and everything can be fixed!! hope you and emma are ok mate!!

fraz

Thats nasty but glad you're ok, but as always said it could have been so much worse.
At least damage seems to be on removeable bits so you can take off and have repaired.

If hes drunk his insurance is void isnt it?
Why would his insurance pay out for damage on your car for him being drunk.

Claim everything you can - you may as well.

Tried to call you after I heard Arnold. Glad you two are ok. If you want me to look it over for you and help sort out the mess let me know. Im not going to repeat comments on how mad this stuff makes me grrr.....

god...sorry to hear that Arnold.

Glad both you and Ems are ok, could have been a lot lot worse being head on. Well done on getting him to hang around I would have been so angry with him!

Kev

glad your alright, shud have knockd the "person" out! damage doesnt look too bad, half of it will probably wash off but sorry to hear

If he was young and fit we prob would have decked him tbh!!! Nah we wouldn't have but we would have been a lot worse than we were, well than Arnold was!!! The fact that he was about 60 years old and looked like he's been in a recent fight, had a cut to his eyebrow and a black eye, also he couldn't walk for ****. He had to hold onto Arnolds car to keep himself up. Tbh i actually felt sorry for the stupid bum until he started sayin stuff like 'what about my mirror' and 'i'm not waiting any longer for the police'.

Cheer's for all the nice comments guy's. I'm just really upset for Arnold, he's put a lot into the car and so much has happened to it. I just hope we can get it fixed and looking good again for JAE.

well chin up think postive it's still driveable you are both alright and you didn't have a 6 cell mag lite ( cause i have i would have now been up for gbh. )
also and most importantly the micra is still ALIVE

bit of dirt and a few rally mud flaps and a new look know would never know. also less paint and metal fillings = less wieght so your car will now be quicker by 0.00001 of a second.

good to hear you and ems are ok dude, hope hes insured, you know the pain me and manda went through this past year. And at least the car isnt damaged much :)

Don't know you Arnold but just wanted to give my best wishes. Glad your both ok. Glad you managed to get the prat who hit you caught too. Hope he gets a nice, long driving ban and that you get the car sorted asap. Sounds like one of those unavoidable accidents we all hope will never happen to us :(

Thanks for the comments,

The police called to say that he was too drunk to give a breath sample down at the station (incapable of giving a sample), so they've had to take a blood test. They wont get the results of that back for another six weeks.

Was also told hes going to be released on bail grr

Anyways, i'l be writing a letter first to try and claim out of insurance. If that fails then i'l be contacting my insurance company. The police told me they would write to him, try and obtain his details and then get his company to cover the cost. As he was drunk, i was also told his car is likely to not be covered, however mine will be.

Awww no man!

One of my favourite micras smashed! :doh: hope the damage can be put right and all the best of luck for getting the insurance sorted out.

Arnold said:
Thanks for the comments,

The police called to say that he was too drunk to give a breath sample down at the station (incapable of giving a sample), so they've had to take a blood test. They wont get the results of that back for another six weeks.

how retarded is that? hes too sh*tfaced to give a breath sample so we'll do a blood sample to make sure hes drunk? wtf?

glad you guys are both ok, atleast the damage can be repaired. and atleast you caught him

Layla said:
how retarded is that? hes too sh*tfaced to give a breath sample so we'll do a blood sample to make sure hes drunk? wtf?

glad you guys are both ok, atleast the damage can be repaired. and atleast you caught him

I know its stupid! if hes incapable then its fact he's drunk! i just have a odd unlucky feeling the blood test will come back clear. and ive gotta wait one and a half months to get this part of it all out the way. God knows how chaotic the insurance will be, ive never been in a situation like this before.

Cheers turtle, nice to know my car has a few fans out there! :)

Also thanks to Welly again for offering to come over and give us a hand at the time. Really apprechiated mate :)

Doh, only just seen this, sorry to hear what happened :(

At least you two are alright though, on opening the thread I thought it was going to be a much more serious crash! :glance:

Good luck with the insurance claim, repairs, etc and look forward to seeing you back on the road soon!

What the police have done its not stupid. Remember UK law is innocent until proven guilty (by the courts) The police have to treat everyone the same, they are not going to keep somone in custody for 6 weeks unless somone has been put in hospital or killed etc, and then the courts have to decide this not the police. Also, until the police have physical numbers back from the tests (word is not enough) they have no idea of weather any other medical influences etc may have been present, or by what extent the person was over the limit. as this will affect the seriousness of the crime so its important to accurately establish this.

Arnold said:
The police told me they would write to him, try and obtain his details and then get his company to cover the cost. As he was drunk, i was also told his car is likely to not be covered, however mine will be.

Lets hope so Daz, it'd be bang out of order if Arnolds insurance had too.

If i park at the side of the road, and kick my door open INTO someones car as they go by - they're insurance has to payout to me, and for whatever whiplash i have...
Stranger things have happened....!

let us know the outcome arnold! Im waiting to go to court about my car crash, i cant be doing with it all but thats life!

Daz:alien:

damn it another one. really sorry for you arnold. hope you and ems wernt too shaken up. hey theres an idea take the guy to court for mental damage. lol

shocking news, glad you are both ok and you definetly did the right thing keeping him there and well done for not hitting him.

hope you get it back to 100% health soon

:( glad your ok mate! i hope the ban the tosser from the road for a long time! i have a very similar incident once know how angry and upsetting it can make you, if there anything you need call me im sure i can get your wheel repaired for around 60 sheets

Where from mate? im just looking up companies that do that now and cant find anywhere local.

Cheers bud

:down: Sorry to hear about your circumstances, glad you're both ok tho :). ....but I can't believe the Blood test is gonna take 6 weeks that's totally outragious! :doh: and i hope the old get loses his licence. Bloody shame bout your car as it's well smart, You must've been fuming, blimey i get upset when Birds do their stuff on the car, christ knows what would've happened if he'd done that to me...:mad: .....*counts to 10*
Hope you get everything sorted real soon, Take it easy both of you ;)

Micra 110 :)

sorry to hear mate. my car is no where like the standards of yours but i would i seen red and slapped him silly. Well done for keeping your cool. at least theres no structural damage and will be on the road soon. If the ins dont pay out you can just sue him with a no win no fee thing. or get his address from his reg number and im sure we can get a private settlement out of him *searches 4 baseball bat*.. so angry 4 ya mate! good that ur both ok! calm....... :)

Thanks for the comments people

I wrote a letter to the bloke last week asking for his insurance details, and asking if he wanted to settle out of insurance etc, anyway, his wife has written back to say they're seperated but provided me with a copy of his insurance certificate, so i'l be ringing my company later.

We got his address from his V5, but as its wrong, thats also another criminal offense lol! going to ring the police up later aswell just to see what they're up to re: all this. If he's out on bail, i want to know if they've taken his licence off him

Anyways, fingers crossed the insurance situation wont be too much of an arse!

Another good update! its all happening today..

I contacted the police and said the information on his V5 is wrong, so they've given me his current address and phone number. Ive abandoned the idea of settling out of insurance, as i want them to know this guy was drunk and hopefully never insure him again. In the process, ive declared my mods, got ems down as a named driver and changed it to fully comp, all at an additional cost of £75! Not too bad at all

Anyways, going to update tesco later with the news of his details (only got it a minute ago) and see what happens.

Also, going to the police station on thursday evening to give a statement, and the blokes going to take some photos of the damage. Once thats done, i think i can start to get it repaired!

Only just seen this mate, sorry to hear about the crash, but its seems things have turned out ok so far!

stokefan said:
sorry to hear about this Arnold.

Can I just ask...were your mods declared on your car insurance before the accident?

No they weren't, but they are now!!!!! :D
And i'm insured on it too ;)

stokefan said:
sorry to hear about this Arnold.

Can I just ask...were your mods declared on your car insurance before the accident?

Yeah when i reported the incident, they asked me if it was modified so had to declare the mods then. They didnt mind tho

Ok an update

The other guy has accepted full responsibilty for it, and my soliciters have confirmed his insurance is valid, so now they're sending out an independant inspector to check the damage. Based on his recommendation, the car will either get sent away to be fixed or will be written off.

I also gave a statement last week at the police station so when it goes to court, they'l use that & the police officers one and hopefully get the bastard banned. Im told he should get a year ban, but thats it.

A friend of mine got his brand new golf written off by an idiot drunk driver going the wrong way around the great cambridge roundabout at about 3am.

The driver ended up only getting a fine because driving was a 'tool of his trade' - he was a travelling salesman or something.

I hope this one has a better result.

More drink drivers banned = safer roads = less insurance :D

Back