Been in a crash

yeah... if; I have far too many bad habits that need to be ironed out :p I look forward to it tho :D

"We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope." :D

(I thought "I have a dream" would be a bit too cheesy to use here... :p )

Any more news mate, only just saw this through your web site. You have my deepest sympathies.

I really hope it gets fixed, its a lovley car. But surley your looking at £500+ worth of damage for a garage to fix it, the insurance are not likley to value your car more than that, are they?

I'm guessing that it will be uneconomical (in the eyes of the insurance) to repair and they will pay you market value for the car plus extra for the alloy wheels. You should then be given the option of buying your car back for scrap value (10% market value) in order to get it fixed yourself.

I'm not sure that you will get away with declaring your mods after the incident, a clever insurance company would check the dates of any changes with your insures.

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I really hope the insurance pays out for the damage, to get it fixed.

Proberley the best thing you could do would be to get 3 quotes to fix it from local garages and a few adverts from autotrader or the newspaper, showing a fair market value for a similar car. This is all ammunition you can use in your defence, if the insurance try to rip you off.

Hi mate

Yeah i have a slight update. The vehicle is being inspected on Friday so once they've taken pictures and done there thing, they'l go back and either work out how much its going to cost to fix or write her off.

The solicters sent me a document basically detaling the crash, the people involved, what happened etc and quite a bit of information within it was wrong - useless people! So i've had to chase them up and get it amended.

Im so so glad i got motor legal protection as i really couldnt be dealing with the hassle. I've had about 6 companies ring me up and ask for details of what happened, who was involved etc, its very tiring!

Also, the insurance company are fine with my modifications, and the additional cost to my premium will be spread over the remaining months of my policy. They wouldnt have put my claim through if they werent happy with them, and they've told me that.

Anyways, will keep you posted.

So you didn't have mods insured?

From what i saw, I really can't see them writing it off, but even if they do, then you could buy it back off them and get it fixed up yourself, is there any damage to the chassis underneath?

Nope chassis etc is fine! Although ever since its happened i've had some odd rattle with my exhaust, but thats probably related to something else.

At the time, my mods werent insured, but i said i was meaning to declaire them so they didnt mind.

so what of mods did you have which they didnt mind you didnt declare? very wierd they dont care.

Well they are not paying for it so I suppose he got lucky.
Exhaust may have just been knocked off a hangar, as I sdaid, i will be seriously surprised if that gets written off.

nizzanz1 said:
so what of mods did you have which they didnt mind you didnt declare? very wierd they dont care.

Well basically i said the bodykit is an optional extra which came with some micras, and has a value of less than £250, also the alloys have a value of less than £250, so they didnt seem to mind.

Since declaired, my policy has gone up £75 per year, but that also includes changing it to fully comp & adding Ems as a named driver. If i was to break the costs down seperatly, i dont think they've charged hardly anything to cover the mods.

craig your right, if it was my fault, then they've already told me the modifications wouldnt have been covered, but as it wasnt, then it isnt a problem

but why are they not prosecuting you for having invalid insurance as so many people say on here that any mods undeclared voids your insurance, meaning you were driving on the road without insurance. i'm not having a go at you, its not my problem i'm just curious.

nizzanz1 said:
but why are they not prosecuting you for having invalid insurance as so many people say on here that any mods undeclared voids your insurance, meaning you were driving on the road without insurance. i'm not having a go at you, its not my problem i'm just curious.

But its not like i dont have insurance, only the mods wouldnt have been covered as i said. Some companies probably would invalidate your policy, however tesco hasnt in this case! And as my policy was third party anyway, mods or not, it doesnt bother Tesco as they wouldnt have had to pay for the repairs if i had crashed into someone else.

Now im fully comp, it makes alot more sense to be honest as they'l be covering the cost to repair my car, if i ever was at fault for a crash

i think the rules and insurers discretion is very unclear i'm sure you would agree. i dont think this could be used as a test scenario for others to be confident they would be ok not declaring mods on insurance etc. if the other person involved in the crash didnt like you or any other person for that matter, could if they knew about your insurance, or if the police checked on it, you could be banned from driving, if tesco say the dont mind doesnt mean the police dont mind. they would class it as an unisured driver on the road. but as said i'm not blaming you i'm just thinking of worst scenarios.
i would say tesco have been good to you, or one particular customer assitant from tesco. or they were not sure on the technical rules themselves?

nizzanz1 said:
i dont think this could be used as a test scenario for others to be confident they would be ok not declaring mods on insurance etc.

I completely agree. I was meaning to do them months ago and i seriously mean that, however i just kept putting it off. My advice to anyone who has mods is to declare them as soon as they can! You may not be as fortunate as me. Also, it's a very quick process to do aswell! I thought it would take ages to revise the quote etc but it was done in about 5 minutes.

nizzanz1 said:
if tesco say the dont mind doesnt mean the police dont mind

Now i disagree with this, because at the end of the day, the insurance company issue the certificate, not the police. Im sure they'd only be bothered if you were driving without insurance, but as i've already said, Tesco didnt mind about my car having the mods that it's got. Ok if my policy was invalid then the police have every right to arrest me, but, its perfectly valid.

nizzanz1 said:
i would say tesco have been good to you, or one particular customer assitant from tesco. or they were not sure on the technical rules themselves?

They seemed to know what they were doing, like it was perfectly routine. I spoke to one person in claims who said i couldnt do the claim until the mods were done, then spoke to someone else to add the mods. Neither of them had a problem with it.

i guess if tesco said its ok to the police that that would be ok. but say you had been pulled over by police on routine before or at time of accident and they checked with your insurance before you had discussed it with tesco, then they would have classed you as unisured, as tesco would have said we dont have record of any modifications. its all a grey area i suspect.
but glad all is ok for you anyway after my theoretical negatives. you are ok with it.

nizzanz1 said:
i guess if tesco said its ok to the police that that would be ok. but say you had been pulled over by police on routine before or at time of accident and they checked with your insurance before you had discussed it with tesco, then they would have classed you as unisured, as tesco would have said we dont have record of any modifications. its all a grey area i suspect.
but glad all is ok for you anyway after my theoretical negatives. you are ok with it.

To be honest, i doubt the Police would ever check exact details of the insurance. After all, the Super S is standard with these mod's on, bar the alloys. I think if they did check, they'd simply check, is he insured or not!!!

Ems said:
To be honest, i doubt the Police would ever check exact details of the insurance. After all, the Super S is standard with these mod's on, bar the alloys. I think if they did check, they'd simply check, is he insured or not!!!

Actually thats just reminded me that when we had the crash, the policeman said you dont actually have to have your insurance details on you, and if your ever questioned for your documents which you dont have to hand, you have to provide your driving licence only within 7 days! Nothing about insurance at all.

I think your right Ems, they can radio in to check the Tax, and as you cant get tax without a valid MOT or Insurance, then they wouldnt need to check those if your tax is valid.

they have an insurance database to see whether your insured or not. all the indivdual things are checked off on their computer. tax/mot/insurance cover etc.

Arnold said:
Actually thats just reminded me that when we had the crash, the policeman said you dont actually have to have your insurance details on you, and if your ever questioned for your documents which you dont have to hand, you have to provide your driving licence only within 7 days! Nothing about insurance at all..

When I've been pulled to have documents checked I didn't have them on me. I had 7 days to produce my photo driving license, my paper counterpart, my MOT certificate, and my insurance details, to a police station of my choice

anyway back on thread, i spoke to the company today who sent out the engineer to inspect the damage and apparently he's written it off, but i'l find out a bit more later how to proceed etc

Arnold said:
anyway back on thread, i spoke to the company today who sent out the engineer to inspect the damage and apparently he's written it off, but i'l find out a bit more later how to proceed etc
do you mean he has written your car off!!!!! if so there was only a scrape!!!

Gemma85 said:
will you be breaking it ? :p

No he won't be breaking it!!!!

He's put way to much money and effort into it. He'll prob end up buying it back and getting it repaired with the settlement money!!!

Yep thats right Ems, definitly not breaking it up! Its got its MOT tomorrow so im just hoping it passes that, so i can forget about it and concentrate on the repair work instead of repairs and getting it road worthy etc.

Not sure you should get the MOT if it gets written off due to being unecononmical to repair you may have to get the MOT done again after you buy it back. Not 100% sure about this I think it depends on the level of the write off.

Errr great! oh well it's going through anyway as my tax is due by the end of the month! I'l worry about a second MOT when i know more about the insurance process.

Well its gone for its MOT. The mechanic turned up earlier and managed to set the alarm off (he opened it with the keys and not the fob).. took him a good 30 secs to figure out how to turn it off LOL!

Anyway, will keep you posted. Hoping to find out more about the insurance process today

andrewb150 said:
Not sure you should get the MOT if it gets written off due to being unecononmical to repair you may have to get the MOT done again after you buy it back. Not 100% sure about this I think it depends on the level of the write off.

If it is a cat C, then you will need to apply for a VOSPA + V5 or something like that and it will require a new MOT when you have fixed it up.

I am really surprised that this is a write off, is it because they would haveto spray the whole rear quarter?

How much is the car worth then?

Craig said:
If it is a cat C, then you will need to apply for a VOSPA + V5 or something like that and it will require a new MOT when you have fixed it up.

I am really surprised that this is a write off, is it because they would haveto spray the whole rear quarter?

How much is the car worth then?

Well the MOT is being done today, so that'l prove its purely cosmetic if it passes. I can use that certificate even before its fixed to get it back on the roads. I do need to send off a copy of the MOT and V5 like you said, and a letter confirming im happy with the price they've offered.

The car according to Drive Assist is worth £385, which is more than the figures produced by Parkers. I'l chat with Ed about getting it fixed up - already had a quote from him, we just need to set a date, and speak to an alloy repair company and take it from there.

Woohoo she's passed the MOT! Absolutly nothing wrong with it at all - surprisingly!

Can get on with the Tax & get that money off the insurance now

Well, approaching three months now and still no sign of the insurance money! The company working on my behalf are a real bunch of cowboys (drive assist for those who are interested) so i've got another soliciter chasing it up instead of them.

The drunken bum didnt respond to any insurance requests for info (which has delayed proceedings alot), and failed to appear in court too.

Anyway, the repairs are being done. The alloy is back and looking fantastic, just needs the rest of the bodywork doing - which Ed will be doing just after the weekend for JAE!

On the subject of Drive Assist, I've heard some very bad things about the way that company is run (from former employees). Avoid them like the plague!

The bloke's finally stopped evading court and has been given a 28 month ban.

Only the insurance money, but nothing else, and i only got the money last week!! Three months that took

His insurance paid out because it was his fault. According to Drive Assist, they've been really slow getting the payment together, but i reckon it was Drive Assist being crap

Back