• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

My long promised blog

love it, how easy is it to make those mounts?? cos if its as easy as you have done to fit this it could be a smart idea for my k10, wouldnt need as many mods as you have lol, just the basic engine in, petrol pump etc and a set of those sexy mounts lol, does the front mount by the slam panel stay normal or is that one modded in any way?

love it, how easy is it to make those mounts?? cos if its as easy as you have done to fit this it could be a smart idea for my k10, wouldnt need as many mods as you have lol, just the basic engine in, petrol pump etc and a set of those sexy mounts lol, does the front mount by the slam panel stay normal or is that one modded in any way?
They're relatively simple. The hardest one is the gearbox mount.
Nah mines just OTT :p
I've got a nissan 100nx lower subframe.. just poly bushed :)

think im gonna need to look up a basic parts list to this conversion, to get it all in and running haha
If you're not intending on modifying the engine... then get a cg13 gearbox, driveshafts, hubs and brakes. K11 wishbones. Source a ga16ds from a 100nx (carb model) it will literally plug straight in or bike carbs :D
Then some mounts

I was proud of this description of Anti Roll Bars. Here it is for those who haven't seen it :)

Be careful what you wish for :p

An anti-roll bars sole purpose is to limit roll by increasing 'roll resistance'. Its useful for cars that need to run soft setups for rough surfaces but want to eliminate the body roll that comes with it. Such surfaces as gravel rallies where you need the softer setup to soak up the rough terrain but want to stop the resulting weight transfer

How they work is tying each individual suspension corner with the opposite with what is essentially a torsion bar. When you corner hard (say right) the body rolls left and the outer wheel (in our case left) starts to disappear into the wheel well and our inside wheel is naturally pushed down to keep tyre contact but also aiding the car to roll more.
With an anti roll bar in place the upward force seen by the outer wheel is transferred by the anti roll bar to the inside wheel pulling it upward also keeping the car level. The force that the outide wheel transfers to the inside wheel depends on the torsional strength of your anti roll bar.

In our case with the micra. Once our cars are properly setup with coilovers I see no need for an anti roll bar. As the roll stiffness is already greater than the lateral G force a micra can plausibly handle.
The story is much the opposite with the rear as having one in place here helps reduce understeer and stops the car increasing its crossweight onto the front outside wheel.

This is not to say go stick the stiffest anti roll bar known to man on the rear and expect fantastic results. Too stiff and the car will oversteer as you reduce contact patch. This is generally where you see a car 'cocking a rear wheel' leaving the remaining outside tyre to deal witg what you throw at it in the corners

Does carry on but that took ages to write so A. I hope you appreciate it :D and B. I hope it makes sense

If you raise the COG at just the front of the car by putting a heavier engine in (GA for example), would an anti rollbar at the front be beneficial to counter the extra roll thats generated in a corner or is the increase still capable of being accounted for by correct spring rates and damping?

If you raise the COG at just the front of the car by putting a heavier engine in (GA for example), would an anti rollbar at the front be beneficial to counter the extra roll thats generated in a corner or is the increase still capable of being accounted for by correct spring rates and damping?
I don't use an anti roll bar on the front of mine as a short answer :p
Reasons as to why are;
The centre of gravity doesn't go up much it simply moves forward. Which helps our 57% ideal front balance. The extra weight is still easily dialled in by our shocks and correct springs. Just slightly stiffer :)

Been sat ages thinking of everything to tell you but I deviated away from anti roll bars :p

I don't use an anti roll bar on the front of mine as a short answer :p
Reasons as to why are;
The centre of gravity doesn't go up much it simply moves forward. Which helps our 57% ideal front balance. The extra weight is still easily dialled in by our shocks and correct springs. Just slightly stiffer :)

Been sat ages thinking of everything to tell you but I deviated away from anti roll bars :p
What if hypothetically you raised the engine, raising cog without increasing weight? (Say to give sump clearance), because stiffer springs would upset the front rear balance no?

What if hypothetically you raised the engine, raising cog without increasing weight? (Say to give sump clearance), because stiffer springs would upset the front rear balance no?
Correct once you start stiffening the front too much to compensate for the high roll centres you start entering understeer territory where the car isn't given the opportunity to roll enough and turn in. CoG isn't our primary concern here its 'roll centres' - The central weight pivot point over an axle. Generally between cyl 3&4 midway up. Raise that you increase the weight transferred using the basic force x distance physics

This scenario is where you combine a bunch of soft components. Soft springs to allow roll, soft shocks to smooth and slow weight transfer but limited with a soft anti roll bar. Very similar to OE micra setups except we dont have the high roll centre necessary to require and anti roll bar
This allows us to turn in, without too much roll but is limited.. and will understeer regardless.
Many forest rally cars will use the same soft setup on the rear for the terrain but use a stiff rear anti roll bar to reduce the understeer. Except forest rally cars use a 'jacking up' type of shock setup. Where as our setups are a jacking down type where rebound us higher than compression

When done incorrectly.. you'll understeer then suddenly oversteer so there's a fine line.. personally if I was to get sump clearance I'd raise the ride height. I still have control of the crossweights and tge roll centres are unaltered

Correct once you start stiffening the front too much to compensate for the high roll centres you start entering understeer territory where the car isn't given the opportunity to roll enough and turn in. CoG isn't our primary concern here its 'roll centres' - The central weight pivot point over an axle. Generally between cyl 3&4 midway up. Raise that you increase the weight transferred using the basic force x distance physics

This scenario is where you combine a bunch of soft components. Soft springs to allow roll, soft shocks to smooth and slow weight transfer but limited with a soft anti roll bar. Very similar to OE micra setups except we dont have the high roll centre necessary to require and anti roll bar
This allows us to turn in, without too much roll but is limited.. and will understeer regardless.
Many forest rally cars will use the same soft setup on the rear for the terrain but use a stiff rear anti roll bar to reduce the understeer. Except forest rally cars use a 'jacking up' type of shock setup. Where as our setups are a jacking down type where rebound us higher than compression

When done incorrectly.. you'll understeer then suddenly oversteer so there's a fine line.. personally if I was to get sump clearance I'd raise the ride height. I still have control of the crossweights and tge roll centres are unaltered

that's what I felt at castle combe when I stiffened my front coil from 4/3kg f/r to 6/3kg to try reduce front end roll and thought during slow mid-exit corner it kinda understeered more.
wasn't corner balanced at the time btw

that's what I felt at castle combe when I stiffened my front coil from 4/3kg f/r to 6/3kg to try reduce front end roll and thought during slow mid-exit corner it kinda understeered more.
wasn't corner balanced at the time btw
Even without corner weighting too stiff a front spring will cause understeer as you felt :)
Did you adjust damping to suit?
(Out of curiosity)

Fancied a before and after pick me up
1389828549497.jpg

So you finally removed all those ghastly stickers?

Or have I got the before and afters the wrong way round? :/
Alex, you clearly haven't been taking notes. This has been discussed many times. Stickers add horsepower. We need stickers on our cars becauseracecar.

'Sent from my bed using paper planes'

Err no
There's a 7year time gap there

Definitely... unless I took the shiny stuff and replaced with dirt and rust... duhhh

I was taking the pics ;)
Certainly haven't seen anything like it before, and I doubt I'll see one like it again to be quite honest Andy. Truly unique :p

@maxk11c 'our racecars'?! Where's your race car?!

I was taking the pics ;)
Certainly haven't seen anything like it before, and I doubt I'll see one like it again to be quite honest Andy. Truly unique :p

Urm, I don't know if you noticed, there's a few stickers on mine..

Pfft. Where's my racecar. Cheeky boy.

I was taking the pics ;)

I half thought you were :p but I thought I'd wave the uniqueness flag again :D before Nissanubaru steals the limelight

Urm, I don't know if you noticed, there's a few stickers on mine..

Pfft. Where's my racecar. Cheeky boy.

I forgot layla was a 1/4 mile dragster. If you can call drag cars race cars anyway...

I half thought you were :p but I thought I'd wave the uniqueness flag again :D before Nissanubaru steals the limelight

Just show of a bit more why don't you? Subaru powered micras are common as muck round my area ;)

I forgot layla was a 1/4 mile dragster. If you can call drag cars race cars anyway...

Just show of a bit more why don't you? Subaru powered micras are common as muck round my area ;)
Dam these people and their common cars

I've a new idea...
Lowered to the floor
Wide wheels
Stretched tyres
Now that could be a trendsetter

The mega camber was my last one, shows how plain it all is :D

You wouldn't no but you'd not grip all that well in the first place :p
As a scene kid I find this offensive. There's much more to it than-
No, you're right. Even I can't justify it, apart from I think it looks cool.

Back