My K11 Super Turtle build project

If you want to smoke your side lights and rears try a flyeyes kit? one roll did my fronts and rears. So rears and sides might be worth a go? Plus fitting is realy easy, even without a heatgun or hairdrier the flyeyes can be fitted proffessionally and with ease. Hope this helps

Ps. loving the car, but why the red inlet for your induction? black wouldve suited better.

:O just had a read through your blog mate and you've made some great progress! wasn't a massive fan of the colour to begin with, but you've made me really like it. Keep up the good work mate

Craig

Thanks for all the positive comments people, should be a fairly big update within the next few weeks, as I'm starting a new job on Monday. So I'll be able to get some money behind me, and finish this project off - there's a hell of a lot to do still :grinning:. And the positive comments motivate me finish it even more (Y).

Cricketboy - I'll be buying a proper set of tinted rear lights and side repeaters, and probably fitting tinted headlights as well (but keeping the black internals). I also got the red inlet for the cold air feed because I bought it as a cheap kit. It was either blue, red, or green (green would have looked stupid). At least red goes with my painted drums/calipers, the logo on the centre caps, air filter, and the rocker cover (Y)

Craig - Yeah, I was the same when I bought it. Wasn't sure about the colour, and now it's totally grown on me (Y)

Thanks for all the positive comments people, should be a fairly big update within the next few weeks, as I'm starting a new job on Monday. So I'll be able to get some money behind me, and finish this project off - there's a hell of a lot to do still :grinning:. And the positive comments motivate me finish it even more (Y).

Cricketboy - I'll be buying a proper set of tinted rear lights and side repeaters, and probably fitting tinted headlights as well (but keeping the black internals). I also got the red inlet for the cold air feed because I bought it as a cheap kit. It was either blue, red, or green (green would have looked stupid). At least red goes with my painted drums/calipers, the logo on the centre caps, air filter, and the rocker cover (Y)

Craig - Yeah, I was the same when I bought it. Wasn't sure about the colour, and now it's totally grown on me (Y)

come on daniel, get your arse in gear and get the turtle finished, get some wide deflectors on there maybe even a duck tail spoiler, for more jdm, saying that i need to get my arse in gear and do mine :laugh:

I've only just managed to find a job Nippy, after 5 months of being unemployed :glare:. But as soon as that first (hopefully big) paycheck comes through - wind deflectors, smoothed bumpers, March numberplate illuminators, fogs, tinted brake lights/side repeaters, open mouth bonnet, mesh in the grills, wraparound spoiler, Si cluster (Y):grinning:

I've only just managed to find a job Nippy, after 5 months of being unemployed :glare:. But as soon as that first (hopefully big) paycheck comes through - wind deflectors, smoothed bumpers, March numberplate illuminators, fogs, tinted brake lights/side repeaters, open mouth bonnet, mesh in the grills, wraparound spoiler, Si cluster (Y):grinning:

Finally, now you can give your wrist a rest

Sick and tired of my tyres scrubbing on the arches, so...arch rolling time :grinning:. And incidentally, this is how low my car needs to be at the front (Y). Trying to work out if I can get away with losing another coil on each corner without pulling my arches. Opinions please?

2011-07-23132357.jpg

Sometimes, the simplest tools are the most effective (Y)

2011-07-23131757.jpg

And as I was taking my passenger side rear wheel off...oh dear :glare:

2011-07-23131735.jpg

So, no more scrubbing :grinning:. But do really want to go lower though :wasntme:.

In all fairness, I don't think this car is going to last much longer. I'll get the arches and sills moderately repaired, try get it through its MOT, and just run it into the ground for another year so I can get some money behind me. Should be getting a fairly decent wage from my new job, so I might either get an SR or Super S in good condition, or try get a 200SX. Really want one, and could just about afford to insure one with 3 years NCB

I used a hammer to roll my arches too, worked out quite well. Then after I fitted my current wheels I redid the rears using a heatgun as well as a hammer and looking back at pictures I must have flared/pulled the arches about 8mm+ too. So if you did go lower it's fairly easy to make a little bit more room.

Matt, when you pulled your arches, how did you actually do it, and how long did it take? Just heat them up so the paint doesn't crack, I take it? And what did you use to pull/flare them? Because I want to make it so the tyres are right inside the arches, but I'm a bit worried about the outside lip on my alloys catching on the inside of the arch

Super turtle has now been broken up - discovered a huge amount of rust and corrosion underneath the car (mostly on the sills and suspension mounts), a rust hole in the floor, a massive leak from the gearbox, and 2 rather sizeable cracks in the rear axle :eek:. How I missed that I will never know - seems as though, according the guy who took it away to be scrapped, I was driving around in a potential deathtrap. So, despite all the hard work and money that went into it, I have to say I'm glad to see the back of her. The next K11 I buy (most likely a pre-facelift SR or Super S) will certainly have to be in a much better condition than this one was.

Thanks to everyone who followed this build, and commented on it. Your positive comments helped me to carry on the project. However, it is time to move on, and save up for another project.

no final pics then? sounds like it spent alot of time up north or near the coasts! 2 worst places for rust on cars lol

No, unfortunately not. I forgot to take any before the guy took it away. I do have a massive pile of parts in my garage though, kind of a depressing sight :down:. But yeah, the corrosion and rust was really bad, and can't believe I didn't spot the cracked axle - apparently, it could have gone at pretty much any moment. And I didn't exactly drive slowly everywhere :eek:

Back