My K11 Super Turtle build project

looking good! so are you throwing that air con out? also did you cut the pipework?

the green facelifts have always been my fav, but it doesn't fit with the nismo colour scheme!!

looking good! so are you throwing that air con out? also did you cut the pipework?

the green facelifts have always been my fav, but it doesn't fit with the nismo colour scheme!!

Cheers buddy :grinning:. I've already got rid of everything for the aircon (along with my standard manifold). Took it to my local scrapyard and got quite a bit of money for it (Y). Didn't have to cut the pipework though, some of it just snapped as soon as I moved it.

I wasn't sure about the colour when I first bought it, but it really has grown on me (although I will be trying to find a black SR or white Super S next year, and transferring most of the parts off this onto it :grinning:).

Finally got round to respraying the inside rim of my headlights - had the can of black spray paint hanging around at the bottom of my toolchest for about a month :laugh:.
Had mixed comments on it - some good, some bad. Opinions?

Thought I'd also tell you guys how I did it, in case anyone else wants to try :grinning:.

Took me about 10 minutes to seperate each light - I know they're supposed to be watertight, but that glue is STRONG. Especially when all you have to heat it up is a #### hairdryer. I'd recommend using a heatgun, as it takes a lot less time. Just be sure not to heat them up too much, or the plastic part on the back of the headlight can melt. But don't heat it up too little, as you can crack the glass as you prise them apart. I just used a flathead screwdriver to seperate them, seemed to work okay.

2011-07-02220629.jpg

Always seems like most of the paint goes on any surface other than the one you're trying to spray - in my case, the local rag. I found I had to lift the surround up on the side where the indicator/sidelight is, as the paint slides across the mirror surface. Just heat it up slightly to dry it, then respray and heat up again. Should be alright after that.

2011-07-02220638.jpg

Finished spraying, just leaving them to dry overnight. Covered them up with a box, didn't want flies or moths commiting suicide by landing on the wet paint :glare:.

2011-07-02224839.jpg

The finished product :grinning::grinning::grinning:. To get the glass back onto the plastic backing, just heat up both sides to melt the glue again. Then put them back together quickly, heating up any bit that isn't sticking properly. Any bit that isn't sticking can be filled with black silicone sealant, just to make it extra watertight (I only had enough to seal mine part of the way round, but most of it is pretty well sealed by the glue). Really pleased with how they look, especially with the black grills.

2011-07-03110624.jpg

Probably should have saved enough spray paint to do my Nissan badge. Oh well, maybe next time :grinning:.

How much weight did you save by aircon removal, mate?
Looks lovely!(Y)

I think I must have saved nearly 10kg, the fan and pump were quite heavy, the pipes and radiator didn't really weigh all that much. But I havn't actually removed anything behind the dashboard, so there might be a chance to shed more weight there.

And cheers :grinning:.

Finally got round to respraying the inside rim of my headlights - had the can of black spray paint hanging around at the bottom of my toolchest for about a month :laugh:.
Had mixed comments on it - some good, some bad. Opinions?

Took me about 10 minutes to seperate each light - I know they're supposed to be watertight, but that glue is STRONG. Especially when all you have to heat it up is a #### hairdryer.

2011-07-02220629.jpg

Always seems like most of the paint goes on any surface other than the one you're trying to spray - in my case, the local rag.

2011-07-02220638.jpg

Finished spraying, just leaving them to dry overnight. Covered them up with a box, didn't want flies or moths commiting suicide by landing on the wet paint :glare:.

2011-07-02224839.jpg

The finished product :grinning::grinning::grinning:. Really pleased with how they look, especially with the black grills.

2011-07-03110624.jpg

Probably should have saved enough spray paint to do my Nissan badge. Oh well, maybe next time :grinning:.

Looks effing nice dan!!!!

Looks effing nice dan!!!!

Cheers :laugh:. I tell you, it took me ages to prise the headlights apart. That glue is strong! I kept thinking to myself "This had better be worth it" :laugh:.

Think I'll be stripping out my interior later so I can remove the soundproofing, and see what goodies I find under the carpet and behind all the panels (Y)

cheers :) on ebay they're 60 inc p+p :0 i say no no no, do you know where you could get another front bumber like yours? my scrappy does nae have one :l

cheers :) on ebay they're 60 inc p+p :0 i say no no no, do you know where you could get another front bumber like yours? my scrappy does nae have one :l

Wow, £60 seems a bit dear for a spoiler :eek:. I only paid £20 for my colour matched one, and it's mint. The ones on eBay must be made of gold :laugh:. Also PM'd you about my front bumper (Y)

Lights are looking good, especially with the grills, I've not been too sure whether to do mine or not but these are making me want to do it(Y)
How has the sidelight and indicator been affected due to black paint, as most other ones I've seen haven't had those bits painted?

Lights are looking good, especially with the grills, I've not been too sure whether to do mine or not but these are making me want to do it(Y)
How has the sidelight and indicator been affected due to black paint, as most other ones I've seen haven't had those bits painted?

Yeah, I was kind of worried about how it would affect them myself. But I had access to a spare set, in case it didn't work. The sidlights and indicators are still incredibly clear, as I have brighter bulbs anyway (Y).

All I'll say to you for wanting to do yours as well is...GET 'ER DONE! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seriously, looks so cool in the flesh :grinning:

Can it be done on pre facelift?

Yes mate, the healights are pretty much exactly the same - mine are just a bit bigger. I thought the mirror surface was all one piece, but the one that sorrounds the indicators/sidelights and the top and bottom of the main headlight is seperate, so it's very easy (Y)

Stripped my car out today, wanted to do away with the soundproofing under the carpet. Ended up removing the rest of my aircon from behind the dashboard, and ripped out the soundproofing from the entire car. Must say, it's very loud inside now :laugh:

Seats, carpet, and plastic trims out :grinning:.

2011-07-04171855.jpg

2011-07-04171905.jpg

Decided to take the soundproofing out from behind the dashboard as well. So steering wheel, clocks, etc, all taken out :grinning:.

2011-07-04174007.jpg

Dashboard off. Didn't realise how untidy these cars are when you strip them out. Also didn't realise that the dash would be harder to get back on than it was to take off grr. And the remaining rad for the aircon and the rest of the pipes were actually pretty heavy, given their size. Maybe an extra 0.5bhp gained there? :laugh:

2011-07-04175812.jpg

The final pile of the stuff I removed - that soundproofing is so heavy, must have been at least 3 kg.

2011-07-04212510.jpg

And of course, as is the way with these things - I've got a handful of left over bolts, with no idea where they've come from. Hope my car doesn't fall apart :wasntme:.

2011-07-04212526.jpg

Definitely much louder inside now. Had to seal up the 2 holes left by the aircon pipes by putting silicone sealant in the grommets. Should be dry in the morning (Y). No treats under the carpet or behind the panels though, worse luck. Just 15 years worth of dust, gunk, leaves, and goodness knows what else :sick:.

Bed for me now I think :sleepy:

omg, that's a big job :)

Why would you want it louder inside?!?
I'd love to really SOUNDPROOF mine :):):)

omg, that's a big job :)

Why would you want it louder inside?!?
I'd love to really SOUNDPROOF mine :):):)

It wasn't too big a job, just a case of remembering where all the bolts go and stuff. The dashboard came off easy enough, just didn't seem to want to go back on :laugh:. And it wasn't really a caseof wanting it louder inside, I'm just trying to shave as much weight as I can without actually fully stripping the car out (Y). And that soundproofing was incredibly heavy, considering it's just foamy stuff and rubber. And the other aircon rad that I took out from behind the dashboard was heavier than the rad I took out from up front :wow:.

Trying to think what I can do it today as well :laugh:. Being short f cash and a job is fairly annoying :doh:

oh, you should have seen the weight of the Second Skin Damplifier soundproof material I used in my HRV :laugh: 12.5kg/36sqf. It was a massive bulk, but made a fantastic difference in terms of soundproofing :)
Have stripped the back of the car? I mean seats and etc.? Hoodedreeper's beast looks very good behind the driver's seat (Y)

No, I've kept all the interior in, I kind of wanted it to be user friendly and an everyday car. If I completely stripped it out, it would be too loud. I wouldn't be able to hear myself think! I did weigh the 2 bags of stuff I took out, was about 5 kg. So I've probably saved about 15 kg along with the aircon removal (Y). I want to get an SR next year, I'll be completely stripping that out and turing into a track car - roll cage, bucket seats, 4-point safety harness, no stereo/speakers, no aircon. And making it as fast as possible without a turbo :grinning:.

i suppose you could also strip out all the airbag equipment like the ECU etc, that would save a bit of weight

i suppose you could also strip out all the airbag equipment like the ECU etc, that would save a bit of weight

I've stripped out the airbag when I fitted my Momo steering wheel, but I haven't taked out anything from under the bonnet or anything like that

I've stripped out the airbag when I fitted my Momo steering wheel, but I haven't taked out anything from under the bonnet or anything like that

no there is nothing for the airbag system under the bonnet, but there is that box in front of the gear stick that won't be doing anything now. every little helps.

oh and if you want to go through the nightmare, you can take out the entire loom and strip about 2.5kg of stuff from it, but you have to know which wires to take out, and its all covered in glue too

no there is nothing for the airbag system under the bonnet, but there is that box in front of the gear stick that won't be doing anything now. every little helps.

oh and if you want to go through the nightmare, you can take out the entire loom and strip about 2.5kg of stuff from it, but you have to know which wires to take out, and its all covered in glue too

The little silver box with those stupid star shaped bolts? And thre's no way I'm stripping the loom, I'll just #### it up :laugh:. But 2.5kg That's a lot from simply cutting a few wires and taking out a few connectors :eek:

No, I've kept all the interior in, I kind of wanted it to be user friendly and an everyday car. If I completely stripped it out, it would be too loud. I wouldn't be able to hear myself think! I did weigh the 2 bags of stuff I took out, was about 5 kg. So I've probably saved about 15 kg along with the aircon removal (Y). I want to get an SR next year, I'll be completely stripping that out and turing into a track car - roll cage, bucket seats, 4-point safety harness, no stereo/speakers, no aircon. And making it as fast as possible without a turbo :grinning:.
(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y)(Y) Fantastic!!!

Not sure if you have binned it yet or not, but I retrofitted an aircon system to my '96 GX and the only thing missing is the wiring harness parts, which plug into the back of the fan controls, (small white 3 pin connector), and the rest of the loom which runs into the engine bay and hooks up to the receiver/dryer pressure switch, aircon compressor and power relays.

Also I wouldn't mind knowing if the evaporator matrix has a thermocouple attached to it or a thermo control amp bolted on the side, as there seem to be several revisions of how Nissan hooked the aircon systems up depending on factory or retrofit options, as shown in the service manual.

If you still have the above and want rid please send me a PM and I will gladly send some £'s your way for the trouble :)

Car's coming along nicely and removing the sound proofing makes for a loud experience. Imagine it with a set of throttlebodies facing just behind the dash on WOT.......LOUD!!

Not sure if you have binned it yet or not, but I retrofitted an aircon system to my '96 GX and the only thing missing is the wiring harness parts, which plug into the back of the fan controls, (small white 3 pin connector), and the rest of the loom which runs into the engine bay and hooks up to the receiver/dryer pressure switch, aircon compressor and power relays.

Also I wouldn't mind knowing if the evaporator matrix has a thermocouple attached to it or a thermo control amp bolted on the side, as there seem to be several revisions of how Nissan hooked the aircon systems up depending on factory or retrofit options, as shown in the service manual.

If you still have the above and want rid please send me a PM and I will gladly send some £'s your way for the trouble :)

Car's coming along nicely and removing the sound proofing makes for a loud experience. Imagine it with a set of throttlebodies facing just behind the dash on WOT.......LOUD!!

Literally everythin for the aircon has been sold or binned now, I'm afraid. The only bit I've got left is the rad from behind the dashboard. Sorry :(.

I really wanted to fit a set of throttle bodies, but don't see the point of fitting them to a 1.0l. I'll be getting an SR next year, and will be modding that a lot more than I have done to this - full stainless steel exhaust system with 4-2-1 manifold, decat pipe, and big bore backbox, exhaust wrap from manifold to backbox, forged pistons (possibly), ported and skimmed head, completely stripped out interior with bucket seats, safety harness, fire extinguisher, and roll cage, adjustable upper and lower strut braces and panhard rods, coilovers so I can slam it, using the alloys off my current K11, and a few other things. Going to try squeeze as much power out of it, without fitting a turbo. I've got some CBR900 carbs sat around in my garage, I'll probably end up fitting those (Y)

Updated photos with Jap plates and more stickers. Mostly because John wants to them, but there you go :laugh:. The back end isn't finished yet though - trying to find a VW Polo front splitter to fit to my rear bumper, and need some March numberplate illuminators (or similar). Then I'll take off my standard tailgate handle, filler over the holes, and respray to make it look tidy. Need to smooth my front bumper as well, and get that all sprayed up.

2011-07-08123216.jpg

2011-07-08123233.jpg

Also thought they were BSE marked, but it appears I cut that bit off :wasntme:

love this color! with black headlights looks amazing!
if I'll respray my k11 I'd be this green!

Thanks mate, the black headlights was something I'd been meaning to do for a while. Need to work something out for my side repeaters and rear lights as well, maybe either tint them or just ones which have already been tinted. And the colour isn't too bad, I want a white Super S next though. Got big plans for that when I get, but more on that nearer the time :wasntme:

Dont fit a rear splitter please. They look ridiculous and will only cause drag!!

Don't worry, I don't intend on fitting one. I'm going to have a front splitter on the Super S though, but something a bit bigger, and possibly make up my own side skirts

Honestly ive seen micras with splitters/skirts all round and nismo arches, jap plate recess and rare spoilers and it just looks a mess! Maybe its just me who loves a subtle looking micra.

Honestly ive seen micras with splitters/skirts all round and nismo arches, jap plate recess and rare spoilers and it just looks a mess! Maybe its just me who loves a subtle looking micra.

I'm sort of not decided about the whole "wide arches, splitters, skirts, 2 spoilers" type of styling. Either way, I'm going to have to fit wide arches because I want Superlites with a fairly deep dish, and 8.5J/9J all around. But I don't want to make it too subtle though. Alloys definitely, maybe wide arches, front splitter, wraparound spoiler (black), black bonnet, open mouth grill, Jap plates again, de-bumpstripped/de-badged etc, lowered more than I am with my current K11. I want to go for a proper JDM look

Looking good dan but I'd get that plate down in the corner and smooth the old number plate holder away

I'm going to fix that up at some point, along with the tailgate. Want some March illuminators, remove the tailgate handle, and smooth it all over

I'm sort of not decided about the whole "wide arches, splitters, skirts, 2 spoilers" type of styling. Either way, I'm going to have to fit wide arches because I want Superlites with a fairly deep dish, and 8.5J/9J all around. But I don't want to make it too subtle though. Alloys definitely, maybe wide arches, front splitter, wraparound spoiler (black), black bonnet, open mouth grill, Jap plates again, de-bumpstripped/de-badged etc, lowered more than I am with my current K11. I want to go for a proper JDM look

Touge look ;)

The bolt on arches look best imo in black on a green car would go and i think they offer around 60-80mm extra per axle

Agreed mine are getting carbon filmed cos I like the attention lol and im a pikey and can't afford real carbon!!
Mine are an extra 3.5" wide

The bolt on arches look best imo in black on a green car would go and i think they offer around 60-80mm extra per axle

No, I reckon they'll look good on the white Super S, along with a black spoiler, bonnet, alloys, and tinted windows/lights all round. I think I'll be doing a hell of a lot more to that than I am to this. And I'm going to need as much space as possible if I'm going to be running 9Js :laugh:

Oh and youll have to repaint a white micra lol unless you find granpa jack who forgot hes owned one and stored it safely for a long time

Oh and youll have to repaint a white micra lol unless you find granpa jack who forgot hes owned one and stored it safely for a long time

Why would I have to re-paint? Are they normally in a ba condition paint wise, because rust and scratches are clearer? That's not something I had considered :doh:

Why would I have to re-paint? Are they normally in a ba condition paint wise, because rust and scratches are clearer? That's not something I had considered :doh:

And the sun turns them a pee pee yellow colour! Took hours to get my old k11 back to White

And the sun turns them a pee pee yellow colour! Took hours to get my old k11 back to White

Well I did consider a black SR, but that throws my colour scheme out unless I get it resprayed :doh:. But saying that, I do prefer the SR interior, and wouldn't mind going for white Superlites with a black band, reckon that would looks sweet. Then just tint everything black all over (Y)

Nothing new as of yet, just thought I'd get a few photos in while I was out and about in Aylesbury. Managed to nearly rip my splitter off coming out of this multistory car park as well, the ramps were very steep :glare:

2011-07-17141056.jpg

2011-07-17141111.jpg

Don't let the reflection fool you - I still had to go forward another foot, and the splitter was about 1cm off the ground. Caught it as I rolled forward slowly :glare:

2011-07-17145037.jpg

That's next on the list Pepper :grinning:. Window tints, and somewhere that will do me a deal on smoked side repeaters and clear/smoked brake lights (Y)

Back