my homemade rocker-cover painting

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
Firstly would like to thank all the memebrs, as got lots of tips before the job after searching through multiple threads re rocer covers. Thanks guys!

thought of sharing the outcome for my rocker cover painting,
P.S, I have no garage..this has been done in the street, in the blazing sunset here locally :doh:

the final touch of red toning has been done using straw growing at the side of the street, as had no brush of that size at hand, and felt like sticking to :p the budget!

Tools required + large philips screw driver :
N73photo3588.jpg

natural paint brush used:
straw.jpg

status of cover B4 job :

throttlebody3.jpg

removal of cover :

N73photo3550.jpg

It had lots of grease on it that had been scrubbed off using white spirit and has been sanded lightly where could be reached using 100grit dry sandpaper

First coat + following 3 more coats with 6mins drying time in between:
N73photo3551.jpg

re-fitting after dry enough to handle like 45 mins from last coat :
N73photo3552.jpg

firt coat with lots of patience using god's paintbrush 'found growing alongside of the road 'globally' (Y) :
N73photo3554.jpg

further coats of red :
N73photo3555.jpg

close-up of final outcome of job (v.worthwhile) :blush: :
N73photo3556.jpg

please let me know what'd you all think guys!
I must say I'v got no professionalities in neither paiting nor spraying.. but am very pleased personally with the result! :blues:

Cheers from Malta!

cheers guys! thanks for the support :D

'll soon be working on the grille now, still looking which paint I can buy which is good and not expensive.

i'm thinking of doing that soon to... how much will it cost me for the stuff?

for the rocker cover, it should cost not more than 20quid mate, if you don't have any red paint running around.. also you can go without buying a brush, you can use just anything, even the tip of a pencil..just dip it slowly and little on the residue left on the 'cap' of the can and just drag it on the prints slowly, dipping it often but moving on to other prints before returning back on the same part it results better as the paints starts to dry.

required :

large phillips screwdriver , (helps if you have a medium flat head screwdriver also..which is inserted slowly and softly after loosening all bolts..sliding it under the rocker cover in all corners as to help it get loose. be cautious on the rubber seal under the cover not to damage it, as I re-used the same one and there's no sign on leaks nowhere around it :D

100grit sand paper, if a wire brush is available it would ease up the job.

I used white spirit, to remove the grease and oil on the cover.. I think a professional would use turpentine grease and oil remover.

newspapers as once the cover is removed it cannot be laid anywhere as from underneath it has a coat of oil which would pick up stuff or bits if put on the floor... ( I put newspapers in the road and put the cover onto them.... 'crazy me' I know, but was at mother's in law and still persisted to proceed with the job though had no working area and necessary tools)

PLASTI COTE High temp Engine enamel black GBP12

BROLAC post office red GBP10 - any red small can paint would do

masking tape, which I had but couldn't find so instead I used PVC tape (electrical tape) which doesn't stick much on to the cover.

some plastic pointed stuff to dip in the paint and drag onto the prints, a thin 'watercolour brush would be perfect' but don't dip too much as it'd be a pain removing the paint from the sprayed surface particularly between the prints themselves.

cheers mate

just bought some wurth plastic bumper filler to do the grille part and mod the bumpers smoothening them up myself, prior to being sprayed by me :blues: ' high hopes on this one :p '

am currently looking and asking relatives from where I can get some quality paint for a cheaper price. the first quotation I got for paint catering for both bumpers, incl flexible additive to add to the paint preventing cracks later on in the bumpers, and primer EUR114 .. which is a bit much.

but am sure i'll find other ways...to go, I'll even buy marine paint if it's cheaper.

I'm more concerned on when to do it as can't drive the car with no bumpy's, and the paint needs a minimum of 2 days ideally to dry...at least the immense hot weather will compensate for the drying and curing of the paint.

Back