Painting interior

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
Right, i am going to be spraying my center console, i have already brought primer, lacquer and the paint already from halfords, got it all ready. I have read one guide on here already just had some more questions to go with it before i attempt it:

1. is it 100% nessacary to sand it down before painting? if so what sandpaper should i use?

2. how many coats of everything should i use? i have been reading up on it a bit and most people have just said that using lots of thin coats is alot better than one main coat fwn

any help that i can get would be helpful :)

I've never sanded mine down as I wanted the same "pattern".
I simply used plastic primer, just coated the whole thing thinly once, then 2 thin coats of black then loads of lacquer to protect from chips etc.

I've done the interior a few times and this has turned out best so far.

Good luck and get some pics up

agreed with goldstar, but use a degreaser to clean the surfaces before the plastic primers put on because i found some peeled away so stripped it and degreased and started again :/

people sand it to make it smooth and remove the bubbly effect that the interior has, maken sure u show us some pics as am gonna do it soon hopefully once funds allow and all that - but yeah lots of thin coats and try not to get any runs or it will look silly

cheers for everyones help, i am gonna attempt it next monday, so i shall put pics up as i am going, i think i will just try goldstars methods see how i get on.

Glenn said:
cheers for everyones help, i am gonna attempt it next monday, so i shall put pics up as i am going, i think i will just try goldstars methods see how i get on.

Cool, if you need anymore help I'm available on here or MSN, one tip I learnt was that if when spraying the paint bubbles rub it off straight away and if lucky the paint left will stop it happening again

yes just make sure its fully degreased especially as the console will have been polsihed plenty of times. use something like meths

and definatly thin coats or u will get runs and it will look shabby

most of all just take ur time and dont rush it leaving a decent amout of time between coats

also have u bought plastic primer or normal primer as this can be quite important

richmicratwista said:
also have u bought plastic primer or normal primer as this can be quite important

got the plastic primer, my mate has done the interior of his saxo so i just got same primer and lacquer as what he got, his has turned out alright..lol

No, its best to sand it down before spraying. If you use a finer grade such as 400 then it won't remove the pattern, and it helps the paint stick better, and also removes anything that shouldn't be there. As others have said make sure its cleaned first to make sure there are no substances on which cause the paint to run or react. And also use 800 grade to sand between coats to give a nice even finish, but make sure its dry before you start sanding. More thin coats are better as if it goes on to thick then it can cause runs in the paint which you don't want. A few coats of laquer should finish it off but make sure the paint is dry before you put it on. Hope this helps. :)

my digital camera aint working for some reason so i took this pic off my phone, looks good..

[attachment=1680]

Looking good!

Since you started this thread I decided to redo mine but smoothed, so sanded all the patterns out of the easily removeable dash parts (which is nearly eaverything), and sanded smooth (I now have arms like a bodybuilder) and am finishing up spraying.

cool, i am well tempted to spray the whole of my dash, think i will just leave it at the center console though, looks good enough, i am well happy with the results, i think i should have used more lacquer some bits arent as smooth as others but with it being black it dosent show up at all..

def get some pictures up of yours when it is done, is well annoying my camera aint working..hmmm

hey just wanted to give you guys something to go by when spraying the interior 'think this a jap site' i think im doing the same except in either black or blue metalic :D

m041.jpg

NOTE im sure there are hardly any major mods to the interior on this one...correct me if im wrong...!

whoohoo i spotted it do i win a prize, the lower kick panel thing in the passenger well has been modded and has a tweeter mounted in it and also looks like the DVD player is in the dash under the CD player and also theres a little green car and modded seats and way too many dadgets and gizmos
colour aside it looks like the cockpit off that spacechip thing in the matrix

a bit extreme in yellow
anyhow i sanded mine down and looks sooo much better than if u would have left it
looks really bad if you dont sand it down!!!

any how use wet and dry, 120, 240 and then 600.....
DONT USE FILLER!!!!!!!!!!

to be honest the dash isnt that bad, its just all the clutter thata round it and if you look its not a ****e job and it looks as if he has had the seats retrimeed or made to go with the colour so i expect the whole car is pretty tidy and its opinioon

Pink Princess said:
do you think an interior would be best off all one colour, or have touching pieces a different colour?

i would say each to their own, but i think with the colour pink that you have choosen if you have every thing else black and then just the heater parts and just the center console like you have it in the pink colour, i think that would look well nice, each to their own though as i have already said, i am just gonna leave mine with the black center console and thats it!!

well if i was u i'd have the rest black and just small things like the air vents pink

like kevs corrola its all black with just bits the same colour as the car, very neat and stylish

iv got mine red and the main dash is the original grey was considering doing in the same silver as car but cant decide

i'll post a couple of pics up when i get a min

I think mainly one colour, with touches of other colours works best. Its all personal opinion though buti have done my dash black with touches of other colours and think it looks kool. :) Its now smooth aswell and also damn shiny. :D

will that be around all of the halfords? approx how many cans of what will i need and any suggestions on what colour? got a silver micra with the standard grey interior. keeping in mind that one day i will sell it. cheers

depends how much u r gonna paint as to how many cans u will need

iv just finished my interior its red and black

will get some pics, i'll take a few tommorrow

cheers. just had an interesting idea. i'm thinking of covering the dash, the doors and the seats in faux-velvet. pretty cheap on ebay but still not sure on colour scheme. possible black or white or silver. i dunno. what you think.

echo said:
will that be around all of the halfords? approx how many cans of what will i need and any suggestions on what colour? got a silver micra with the standard grey interior. keeping in mind that one day i will sell it. cheers

yeah that offer wil apply to all halfords, i used one can of each of them to get the finnish i have got and is stil as good as the day i put it on, which was like 5-6 months ago.

if your gonna be selling it then i would just recommend black, i did mine in black, blends in well with the grey colour.

Back