Painting rocker cover

Had a few hours to kill yesterday, so I thought I try and spruce up the engine bay a bit by painting the rocker cover red. So, with help from a mate, it was duly removed and sprayed. We did about 6 coats, and then refitted it. The problem I have now is that where it has been heated whilst driving, the paint around the "Nissan - 16 Valve" etc lettering has begun to blister. Anybody got any ideas as to what I can do to rectify this problem? I don't think the problem is the paint, as the blistering has not happened anywhere else. It just looks messy around the letters, but great everywhere else.

Hammerite should be ok, you might have got some water or oil in the paint and the heat caused it to bubble effecting the paint.

I've sprayed 2 covers using high-heat paint from Halfords and not a problem, I tend to have the engine slighty warm when doing it on car as it sets first 2-3 layers then when engine is cooled do few more to even it over.

MightyMicra shows the 2 I did, one gloss and 1 matt.

Two reasons for this,

1, the paint was forced to dry too quickly.

2, there was dirt around the letters and the paint has reacted.

Without a pic I cannot tell you. The solution to this may be to remove it all with thinners or something like nitromores and start again.

Just too add high temp paint is not needed. and Usually high temp paint is not very durable.

Ed

I'd agree it's be number 2, pics would help but it could just be air bubble

Having a spare cover is handy cause you can do that and let it set for few days

Back