my first speeding fine... GRR

Antony

Ex. Club Member
56mph in a 50 limit cos i wasnt paying attention.

got stopped at the petrol station by the fuzz and handed my first ever fine. the first time i have ever been cautioned and my first ever blot on my criminal record.....

i feel so dirty....:(:(

not the end of the world mate, forget about it and move on, nearly everyone has 3 points nowadays.
So you have an option for speed awareness?

yah, i was a prat. not paying attention.

no option for a driving course... just a fixed penalty.

im so depressed too. i dont want a criminal record.

can i ask what the cut off point is? iirc is it 10% of the speed limit?

10% of 50 is 55mph, if this is so its ONLY JUST over, u would honestly feel gutted if this had happened. hard luck! just pay the fine get the points etc.. and move on, no point dwelling on it, the police are out in my opinion to get bad statistics from motorists and being the current government situation in not surprised if they are not just trying to get more money for them.

cheers

Steve

can i ask what the cut off point is? iirc is it 10% of the speed limit?

10% of 50 is 55mph, if this is so its ONLY JUST over, u would honestly feel gutted if this had happened. hard luck! just pay the fine get the points etc.. and move on, no point dwelling on it, the police are out in my opinion to get bad statistics from motorists and being the current government situation in not surprised if they are not just trying to get more money for them.

cheers

Steve

Steve, ACPO guidelines state 10% + 1 mph so 56 would be it in that case. But they are guidelines only, force policy probably forced the particular officers hand. Either that or the officer in question was in a bad mood or something about Antony's car that got his back up. Either way he was speeding and the police can inforce it to the letter.

Sorry you got your first SP30, as others have said it's not the end of the world and the officer that dished it out might have had one himself... (police forces like to dish them out to their own officers just to show that they're fair, which doesn't help when they've started watching the GPS trackers fitted to some cars).

yeah, he said he was in a bad mood anyway as he usualy gives people to 60mph but he didnt feel like it that day....

i was very polite. imediately said "i think i was doing 60mph and noticed your car, i didnt realy realise that i was still on the 50mph bit and i did lift off and slow down. sorry"

and he said.

"the limit is there for a reason, stick to it. now the force is taking a 0 tollerance on all speeding regardless of the cercumstances so im going to deal with this via the way of a fixed penalty and 3 points on your licence, You do not have to say anything unless you wsh to do so, anything you do say will be taken in evidence and may be used against you in a court of law"........ i just looked at him and said

"oh my god, i wasnt even in trouble at school..., well ill be more carefull"

and he went on and gave me a breath test (not realy nessasary as i havent drunk anything since last jae) and told me about my fine.

he then said,
"my colleage will show you out of the car, drive safe and if i catch you again i wont be so nice"

NICE????

baah!

"the limit is there for a reason, stick to it. now the force is taking a 0 tollerance on all speeding regardless of the cercumstances so im going to deal with this via the way of a fixed penalty and 3 points on your licence, You do not have to say anything unless you wsh to do so, anything you do say will be taken in evidence and may be used against you in a court of law"........

Hypocrisy at it's best...and iv'e been passed by a police van(!) whilst doing 50 on the dot in a 50 limit...And it was doing well over 56mph, no lights or siren.This has been bugging me since i first read it...fair enough if you're upside down in a ditch, or on the wrong end of an angry mob's doc martens, you want the emergency services there quick-smart...but talk about taking liberties eh?!?

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/output/2009/02/16/story12649467t0.shtm

It might not be the "end of the world" but if your job (or one you are applying for) requires a clean driving licence you are well and truly stuffed :mad:

Exactly what harm did you cause by travelling at a speed appropriate for the road and conditions, and according to your driving skills and experience? Considering you were "going with the flow" and not concentrating all your attention on the speedo?

Answer = none whatsoever.

I would have thought anyone with their eyes glued to the dial is more likely to be driving "without due care and attention"

I feel for you, as I've just been landed a £70 FINE for parking outside a friend's house on Friday night (couldn't park in or near my street because of the football match) and forgot all about it until the next morning. I spoke (politely) to the traffic warden but he would hear none of it, denied it was him who issued the ticket and said I should contact the council. 70 f***ing quid for making a simple, honest mistake !!! Robbing c**ts :mad:

Do you think they will change their mind if I tell them I actually need that money to pay my mortgage (which I do, having lost my job recently) ?? I doubt it :mad:

Alternative = refuse to pay the fine and have my car seized .. and CRUSHED :mad::mad:

BG

aryt mate me and the police have more run-ins than my car and the petrol station and they try and do me with absolutly everything ive been passed 13 months and #### you not had the best part of 80 fines.. But if you get yourself a good solicitor that know wat there talkin about i think you will get away with it now you might need to go to court or your solicitor myt just go for you just its def. worth speakin to one.

I followed a riot van, well a transit plod wagon (at some distance) the other day, it must have been doing at least 40mph in a 30mph past a secondary school! It was around midday, the van was empty, there was no way that van was going anywhere important, infact it was headed back to the cop shop.

Twas disgusting but based on previous experience i didnt think i would get far if i phoned up to complain lol, esp as i didnt catch the reg. etc.

i was going down a 30mph road when a police car went past at atleast 45mph. it had no lights on, so i looked in my rear view mirror and saw it slam on the breaks for a speed camera!

W***ers!

aryt mate me and the police have more run-ins than my car and the petrol station and they try and do me with absolutly everything ive been passed 13 months and #### you not had the best part of 80 fines.. But if you get yourself a good solicitor that know wat there talkin about i think you will get away with it now you might need to go to court or your solicitor myt just go for you just its def. worth speakin to one.

I find it hard to believe someone who has been driving 13 month and has had 80 fines has done nothing wrong. You must be doing something, they won't be pulling you for nothing. Thats been pulled over more then once per week. I've been driving for 5 years and have been pulled over twice.

dini get is wrong i never said i never done anything wrong but the point i was makin was if u get a good solicitor who gets you off with just about everything it ####es them off so they try and pin anything on you or maybe its just me they really hate :D ### Thm

I find it hard to believe someone who has been driving 13 month and has had 80 fines has done nothing wrong. You must be doing something, they won't be pulling you for nothing. Thats been pulled over more then once per week. I've been driving for 5 years and have been pulled over twice.

I agree, i find 80 a little excessive, ive been passed about 3 and a half years almost, been pulled twice, first time was a warning for having my front fogs on and the second i escaped with a section 59 (i think maybe 69???), which was lucky as it could have been a whole lot worse.

i swear down on my grans grave ive had at least 80 fines if not more ive had every car seized from is had my bike seized from is you obv dont know what the jammers are like in dundee everyone of them know all my details off the top of there heads dont even need to ask is anymore llf :p

my girlfriend used to go to uni in dundee. I went there every other weekend for 2 years (so about 50 times total). Never got pulled over once.

i swear down on my grans grave ive had at least 80 fines if not more ive had every car seized from is had my bike seized from is you obv dont know what the jammers are like in dundee everyone of them know all my details off the top of there heads dont even need to ask is anymore llf :p

So how do you afford to pay all these fines?
How much does a fine cost? im guessing about £60?

So if they are £60 a fine, then you've payed out £4,800 in fines in just over a year? fwn

nope mostly 30quid fines and never paid any of them thats why there always taking is to court and away to make is do community service look if use dini believe is u can ask stani or glen or tht they will tell ya

80 fines? You're doing something wrong or BS'ing. Drive properly?!

I've not been pulled over once in nearly 7 years, and that's driving a modified car, be it Micra or MX5.

80fines? I don't believe you.

Police vehicles don't need to use lights and sirens whilst travelling in excess of a speed limit. Often the vans will travel faster back to the nick quickly if they are conveying a prisoner to the cells. I think PACE (84) requires a prisoner be conveyed as quickly as practicable, especially when they start damaging themselves by banging their heads against the inside of the cage (very common).

Back