First day with Micra Problemd

Hi all
Its my first post here, so a big Hello to everyone. I am in big problem and hope someone here would be able to advise. I have a mechanic coming to look it up sometime, but i dont really trust he knows much about Micras.

I bought a 2004 Micra 1.2 S today. This is my first micra and I went 100 miles by train to get it. I checked it , started it and test drove it and all looked fine. While on my way back, i stopped at a petrol station to get some food. I also filled up the washer bottle and replaced the cigrette lighter fuse (that i found was blown and the satnav wont work). Then i started the car and it wont start. I called the car dealer, and he said that the Key sometimes plays up in petrol pumps and that i should try real hard and a few times and that the KEY would automatically reprogram and the car should start. I tried several times again and finally it started. I drove back home. But Now it wont start again. Both these times when it was not starting, it seemed that the starter motor was not turning. I checked the immobiliser fuse and it looks ok. The KEY symbol lights up, so it means that the KEY is being detected by the car. I checked the battery voltage and it is at 12.5V . When i trun the key to Start, I can hear a faint clicking sound, the clicking slows down, then stops.

The warning signs in dash all look OK. The radio and other electric stuff seems to work.

I hope I have explained the problem well enough. Please help. I was so much looking forward for my first Micra but its all gone worng.

Please help

if it is the same problem for which micras were recalled, then could i get it fix free by nissan. it might be the previous owner was too lazy to get this done by nissan when it was time.

a couple of months ago my parents in law went home in their 1 day old k12, and it just switched itself off in the middle lane on the M6! so get it checked - now!

yea you should be able to roll into nissan for that one... those early k12s seem to be full of teething problems

thanks for the advice people. i finally got it started. it seems to be com bination (either/or) of two things.
1. Push the key in real hard and keep it pushed in hard and move it to start position
2. lock unlock the doors from the inside (isle) button.

dont know why. will try these a few times more to be sure though
i think the pusing will finally kill the solenoid.

nissan changed the ignition switch barrel and now it works without any effort, however the new switch is slightly recessed inwards (deeper) compared to the old one.

by the way, why do my post count as 0.

i am glad its been fixed for free, did you just show them the problem or did you have to argue your way to get it free?

i called them and explained that the ignition switch is not working properly and i think that the previous owner must not have got it repaired when the recall letters were sent. i was put on hold for a while, and then they said that they checked the records and my micra actually hadnt had the ignition changed, and what dates I was available to come in to get it done. it was fairly simple, although I was prepared to argue :)

Back