MOT after complete restoration?

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
hi

i'm not a qualified mechanic. i'm an industrial designer and love to tinker with mechanics as a hobby.

i started working on bikes, learning how things work, disassemble, reassemble, fix problems, how to use tools etc. my profession also involves designing mechanisms for various products.

on my first 98 1.3 blue micra slx back in 2006 i set about completely restoring it utilising my previous skills, the handy haynes and the invaluable micra forums. i learnt a huge amount bout the car and all the reassembly procedures after finishing the project in 2007.

Now, back in early april 2009 it passed its MOT, gr8.
from april to may I finished restoring it back to standard spec ready to sell on, in which it was completely stripped down to the chassis to rust treat and repaint/undercoat. Then each part was cleaned and reinstalled.
once complete i drove her around to setup ignition timing, tracking and then test the suspension, brakes, engine n tranny to check nothings loose, all fine.

the guys at work mentioned that cos i'm not a proper qualified mechanic, maybe i should get it checked out by a professional somehow or maybe a new MOT or summing before selling it to someone.

my question is, does it need to be looked at by another mechanic or MOTer? since i've tested everything and the car is 100%
can't see myself talking the car to a local garage everytime i change like a bolt or wheel nut to double check.

dunno if i should feel insulted or considerate of their comment bout my mechanical abilities.

CMF_sixpac

» CMF Member
It may be worth getting it checked out by an mot tester just to make
sure and for your own piece of mind. being an mot tester myself i would feel much better that someone else has double checked everything
you have done, not that i am worried as from what you have written you
sound quite compitant.entirely up to you.

Back