Mulholland fits GA16DE's

all that potential in a micra.....

toney is the guy to speak to on this subject. hes allready there and done it..

you know, the more people i speak to in OZ that have done this conversion, the more i come to realise that it is almost a bolt in fit...
all they have done is weld a new engine mount to the front drivers side and fitted a remote electric water pump.. they have even used the micra gearbox and ecu....

surely it cant be that easy?

gearbox is the same... ecu plugs are the same, all but 1 engine mounts are the same. and if you can either notch the chassis leg or fit an electric water pump. they should go right in...

there must be more to it or other people would have done it by now.

Scopez has done this conversion aswell, but both his and toney's engine's sit differently in the engine bay so i'm not sure what they did differently from eachother.

Scopez has done this conversion aswell, but both his and toney's engine's sit differently in the engine bay so i'm not sure what they did differently from eachother.

Different gearboxes IIRC

Ant, this prob has been done, but the methods you've stated are somewhat bodges and we wall know how well such things go down on this site (I dislike such bodges personally I'd like to add) so there are probably plenty about that aren't posted here...

i know that..... so why doesnt anybody actuay post up what they have done?

im starting to lose faith with this site as on micra.com.au there are lots of conversions and turbo stuff and even N/A stuff from members on here that havent even spoken on here... that winds me up...

but if its not as simple as that.... why not? what are the drawbacks? whats has toney done to get his to work? who has done it differently and so on and so on.

if there is no advice how can anybody be expected to not make the same mistakes? its rediculous.

if the gearbox of the cg13de is the same gearbox as the GA16de but with different ratios and that the only drawback is an engine mount and the water pump..... i ask again.... what holds people back from doing this conversion? or am i missing something major?

I think Aussies are more DIY and hardy than us as a general rule, I've often thought about banging in a 1.6 or 2l as with a couple of months and some decent planning it *should* be very straightforward.

Also, there must be the fear of munching clutches/boxes by using the Micra box with the 1.6...

yeah i suppose... although the turbo guys repeatedly report that the cg13 box is strong enough for 150bhp of turbo power (torque as well) or 160bhp n/a without to many dramas.. so a ga16de (uk spec 110bhp engine) should be fine. i mean your only 10 bhp from a well sorted mapped cg13.

well i had a 1.6 for a while. there is an issue if you use the CG box, as the starter motor mounts are different, i think the GA is on the engine and the CG is on the box.

also the radiator doesn't line up at all, so you need longer pipes.

alot of the plugs are different, just need cutting off and soldering onto the CG loom, if you want to do it that way.

the most important thing is the drive shafts, thats where it all goes wrong. you have to either custom make them, or weld two together, which doesn't always work out.

but if you can get the CG shafts to fit and possition the engine so that the CG drives fit and then make up the mounts for it, you will be much better off.

i might give it a go... need a 1.6 doner car... anyone got one?

i would think it,s the tightness of the fit that puts people off (ie o/s chassis and flitch and bulkhead/manifold)
then there,s the exhaust joining, the radiator piping, the idle control valve plugs and probably various other sensor connectors

ah.. thats more like it..lol

the reason i ask is that on .com.au there is a green one with stock ecu, stock gearbox and stock drive shafts.... he also says he massaged the mounts to get them to fit and it fits in the engine bay like it was designed to fit in there (an option nissan should have allways made and they cocked up bid style)

yeh, you could leave the cg box in it,s stock position (and shafts) but i think that means you have to cut into the o/s chassis rail :suspect:

yeh, you could leave the cg box in it,s stock position (and shafts) but i think that means you have to cut into the o/s chassis rail :suspect:

i am not sure you do, the GA is not much bigger than the CG in fact i don't think it is bigger at all. the problem is that people use the existing mount on the drivers side which brings the engine much to close to the chassis leg. on a hard left the engine hits the leg. but with nismo bushes this is minimised. in the actual car i believe the engine mount is much bigger and longer so it keeps the engine away from the chassis. its just alot easier to make a new gearbox mount than a drivers side mount. so if it is lined up with the CG gearbox it should be all good... and would save alot of hassle too.

as for the exhaust, same again, it comes out the front of the engine in the same way the CG does so if its sitting where the CG does then it should all line up.

the only issue is with the cold idle sensor. that is seperate where as on the CG it is all part of the TB, the result is that it doesn't idle properly if its not wired in. but there may be a way to modify the wiring, or i hear Matt Humphris may be working on a way to block off the cold idle valve and fit a needle screw instead. this means that also the GA throttle body can be used on the CG engine.

the radiator is only difficult because on the GA, it has a double width radiator and one hose attaches at one end of the engine and the other at the other end of the engine. with the micra they both attach on the passenger side of the engine. now a stock micra radiator will cope with the GA16 engine, but a pipe needs to be run from the drivers side of the engine over to where the radiator is.

the CG ecu should run the engine too, i think the map is pretty much the same just applied to a bigger output, eg, injectors are bigger but so is the engine and the inlet manifold etc.
but the GA ECU would be better and is a straight fit,

the gearlinkage is a staight fit too i think, but depending on where the gearbox is and what gearbox, you may have a bit of a floppy gear lever or long travel between gears, but then its not too hard to chop down the linkage.

the other point you need to remember is that the speedo is out, so either use the original speedo (straight swap into the micra dials) or get it re calibrated,

also the brakes need to be uprated, but the 1.6 brakes should just bolt on pretty much...

so all in all it is a very easy conversion comparitivly speaking, i really want to do it, very much, i think it is the best convertion you can do, i think 2.0 is too heavy and too powerful for the front wheels, and i think turbo is too complicated or unreliable.

i just need the space and the time and the money...and a donner 1.6 lol

Nex, I've measured a GA and from memory it was 5-10 cm longer than the CG.

Arguably the easiest way to do it is Nismo-mount the engine to a CG box, cut and shut the chassis rail and then swap all the wiring over - if you keep the same dials and gearbox, then there will be no additional inaccuracy there. The 1.6 rad doesn't fit, but hose is cheap enough.

Aren't the GA and SR similar weights?

Craig

i think its the money side of things...and reliablility.

to get 100 bhp from a cg13 would cost you alot more money than getting 130bhp from a ga16.

I think that the three problems that hold people back are:
  1. Driveshafts
  2. Enging mounts
  3. Wiring
A little bit of time and effort and you could sort out the mounting properly so you either have it wedged right back, or positioned closer to straight to reduce CV wear.

Driveshafts are a pain, however if some time was spent to machine the bellhousing (SR20 conversion) or even if the CG box is used for a 1.6 then that could be kept as standard as possible.

This will always be a daunting task, however clear labelling should help you - as will locatin the battery to the boot.

I wish I had the space and a spare couple of grand to throw at someting like this as logical planning will save long-winded heartache.

I also think that insurance might be a potential stumbling block due to the average age of a Micra owner....

yeh, sr,s have an ally block eh, personally, i cant see the point in, the hassle of fitting a cast iron ga engine to gain about 30 hp when the cg is so tunable :confused:

with the ga block beeing abit more powerful over the cg, but because its cast surley it will be slower than the cg? (0-60 wise) fair engough parts are cheaper for the GA engines that the CG engines and i bet you could make it way faster than a CG ever could for less money?

altough iam no master of engines lol.

i would say fitting a GA engine is alot of hasstle for a few more bhp..but if you look at the bigger picture it pays off :)

I would be concerned about seriously cocking up the weight distribution of the car, also, Micra's understeer at the best of times, with an extra 30 or 40 kilos over the front axle, that isn't going to improve much.

i can get a 1994 primera 1.6slx for nothing, would that be a suitable engine. Im stronly thinking of trying it just for a track car. Just dont want to spend mad money on something just for the track

Do you have any proof of this Nex?

nope i don't have any proof, but thats why i said i THINK, but i have heard of people putting the GA16 ECUs on the CG engines when they have put the GA throttle body on. so i would have thought they are not too far out.

but obviously a specific map for the engine will always be the best route ;)

iirc chie when he fitted the GA16 ecu he only had to redo one internal connection for ecu. I think everything else is the same pin wise (or thats atleast my assumption based on the info above)

Dunno how much help that is Nex...would probs be best to trace both ecus pinouts to 100% sure though. :)

iirc chie when he fitted the GA16 ecu he only had to redo one internal connection for ecu. I think everything else is the same pin wise (or thats atleast my assumption based on the info above)

Dunno how much help that is Nex...would probs be best to trace both ecus pinouts to 100% sure though. :)

actually i think you are right, i remember Titch having to do the same when he was running the 1.6 ecu.

but i think its not really worth the hassle, and just stick with the GA16 ecu, unless you have an issue with NATS

34384.jpg

standard engine mounts....

34236.jpg

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&sa=N

and as for the water pump..

The water pump internals were removed and the hole sealed up so it clears the chassis rail as I didnt want to cut/modify the rail in any way. Electric water pump was fitted as was a shorter fan belt.

that is odd because that is nothing like the 1.6 engine i had in my car. are there different GA16 engines? that one has a bit extra on the drivers side of the cam cover and has that massive inlet manifold

that is the VTC version which you find mainly in the states (US) they have like an extra 13 bhp. Unfortunate we dont have them over here, so many more tunning parts available for this version to ;)

that is the VTC version which you find mainly in the states (US) they have like an extra 13 bhp. Unfortunate we dont have them over here, so many more tunning parts available for this version to ;)

awww thats crappy! maybe there is an imported one in a scrappy somewhere!

nope i don't have any proof, but thats why i said i THINK, but i have heard of people putting the GA16 ECUs on the CG engines when they have put the GA throttle body on. so i would have thought they are not too far out.

but obviously a specific map for the engine will always be the best route ;)

i'm sure it will work, but in terms of running / health and perfomance, I am unsure, the data within the ecu really is quite different.

I would recommend using the ga16 ecu.

i'm sure it will work, but in terms of running / health and perfomance, I am unsure, the data within the ecu really is quite different.

I would recommend using the ga16 ecu.

agreed, using the CG ecu would be a bodge even if it did work. i would expect some issues with the air fuel ratio

i used the ga xmember and scopez used the cg

scopezs engine sits lower and more to the nearside giving him the clearance for the pullys the problem that leaves you is the nearside driveshaft is much shorter than the otherside so torque steer is a big problem

im using the micra engine and gearbox mounts with nismo bushes

i done the conversion for less than it costs for one of matts heads

more

Attachments

• DSCF3045.JPG
    DSCF3045.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,148
  • DSCF3043.JPG
    DSCF3043.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,271
  • DSCF3044.JPG
    DSCF3044.JPG