MPG......drive and drift

Frank mentioned this method of driving a while ago....so had a go. Sort of concluded my mpg drive and drift check. Had to cut it short due to engine problems (dying at 4k) Anyways, certainly got some decent figures out of it, around the 70/73 mpg mark and I think that could be improved on!, all around town as well, pretty impressed with that.
However, boring as tit doing it, trying to get the last bit of drift out of her, cars in front cocking up your drift by turning right, or emmets braking for no good reason! Certainly may try again in the Autumn/winter when all the visitors are gone, and the schools have broken up (bloody school runs)
My conclusion would be, there is a case for this sort of driving, but not to the level that I was doing it, I reckon anything where you can drift for a third to half a mile is well worth the savings. Also, when drifting to a junction and you have to stop for traffic, your engine isn't running, another saver. I have also been looking at the routes I take to go here and there, finding that some times its better to take a longer route on which I can drift as opposed to a shorter trip with no drift possibility.
I've been doing it on my delivery round as well, it has cut my miles down from 25 to 30 a day to 9 or 11 (very rural and hilly, mostly down) I now fuel up every 10 to 12 days instead of weekly .... big saver there.
All in all, yes, I will be driving this way in the future, with an occasional mad moment thrown in no doubt.
Hope that's interesting :)

and power steering, imo not the safest thing to be doing, why not just knock it out of gear or even leave it in 5th and coast?
Power steering doesn't really matter, never used to have it. Safety wise, yes, you certainly have to up your concentration levels doing it, back to your driving test days....anticipate the road ahead.
As a footnote, its surprising how many roads you can drift on without loosing forward speed, even those you thought were uphill !!

not entirely sure wether it applies to the ecu on these micras (maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can clarify this). But when the engine is in over run, i.e no throttle being applied and car still moving in gear, so basically allowing engine braking.. there is very little to no fuel being injected during this time..

not entirely sure wether it applies to the ecu on these micras (maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can clarify this). But when the engine is in over run, i.e no throttle being applied and car still moving in gear, so basically allowing engine braking.. there is very little to no fuel being injected during this time..
my injectors dont shut down they drop to about .5ms on lift luca, then when the rpm drops to about 1500 the injectors return to about 2ms (a typical idle duration)
this is with 300cc SR injectors, stock injector duration will be about 2 x i guess

so the ECU doesn't have this feature then? thanks for clarifying :)
not sure about other ecu,s tbh mate, the 1500 rpm kick-in is there to prevent the engine from stalling eh.
many people argue that you use more fuel while coasting than lift on injected cars because the injectors close on lift ?? imo the engine braking effect wastes far more fuel than coasting at idle :)

here's an old footage of my NA janspeed exhaust setup.

notice when I close the throttle 0.48v above 1000rpm in-gear, the injectors drop to 0.48ms
when it goes below 1000rpm in-gear closed TPS, the injectors resume

So, that means when engine braking, and the rpm falls to below 1000 rpm...... the injectors use fuel as normal ?
below 1500 on mine davy, you have bear in mind that .5ms at lift at 3k rpm is injecting about the same amount of fuel as 2ms at idle.
and that coasting means that you can lift earlier eh
pulse-and-glide has been well proven on the hypermilage forums :)

Out of interest today I changed my route to the beach for my doggy walkies. Drifted for 3.8 miles out of 10 on the round trip.
My normal through town route gives little opportunity for drift, so a reasonable changed route that I will be using.

below 1500 on mine davy, you have bear in mind that .5ms at lift at 3k rpm is injecting about the same amount of fuel as 2ms at idle.
and that coasting means that you can lift earlier eh
pulse-and-glide has been well proven on the hypermilage forums :)
lifting/off throttle at half rpm does in fact register a higher injector duration than at idle, so lifting does,nt use less fuel until the revs are sub 3k, and usually uses more fuel because of the engine braking effect :)

Not wanting to spoil the party here but hypermiling techniques such as pulse-and-glide, drafting, overinflating tyres and excessive lightening can prove to be pretty wreckless.

Discuss all you want but I would hope that common sense would factor in here and safety would not be compromised at the expense of fuel savings.

Back