more pc help please

Mr goldstar fixed my computer and all is great(cheers gary) anywho i have another problem

when i scroll down a page on the internet using the scroll down bar --------------->>

it makes my music been played on media player go all funny, its crackes and stuff.

any ideas

Your browser has a higher task priority than your media player, so its taking the processing power away from your media player....

More Ram perhaps? or a better processor so its able to cope with both jobs.

when i scroll the browser with the volume up stupid high (with no music) i can sometimes hear some sort of interference, i have no idea what it could be! if you got a on-board sound chip then they are crap and full of bugs anyway

hughes_16v said:
it makes my music been played on media player go all funny, its crackes and stuff.

My 486 could play MP3s fine and scroll a window, so it's highly unlikely to be a lack of processor power. Sounds like it could be either an interrupt problem or out of date/incorrect drivers for either the graphics or sounds.

rlees85 said:
when i scroll the browser with the volume up stupid high (with no music) i can sometimes hear some sort of interference, i have no idea what it could be! if you got a on-board sound chip then they are crap and full of bugs anyway

That's just a lack of isolation and shielding on the motherboard - nearly all laptops have this problem. On board sound has been find for most people for years now.

Onboard sound cards are ok, yeah they do nick system resources to work but shouldnt cause the problems your having. maybe turn off visualisations in media player, or use compact mode or something. Might use less resources.

Then check to see something else isnt running and hijacking your system. Spyware, viruses etc. Also, clean up your temp files and stuff like that. It may help

latest drivers should sort it by the sounds of things if you havnt yet done that

and i mean drivers for

motherboard
sound chip
graphics card

not just the sound

Just wondering why people are mentioning drivers really, i mean, say you get a brand new machine and it does the job fine - no issues with music playback or anything, then over time things get a bit crap - the drivers have worked in the past, why would they need updating? It'l be something else on the system that's causing these problems

I know it wont do any harm, but it really isnt the only fix for this kind of thing! Chances are, it wont fix your problem.

Also, a driver is a piece of software which is used to allow hardware to intract with software correctly. Without a driver, the hardware device will either not be recogised, or work to its full potential

Arnold said:
the drivers have worked in the past, why would they need updating?

New versions of software may need more up to do versions of the driver to perform correctly, if he's updated Windows Media Player or IE or Firefox or w/e he may need updated drivers, or if he's installed new software.

My computer run fine, but struggle with WoW until I updated the graphics card drivers.

It's worth trying, but the most likely cause is lack of RAM

Arnold said:
Also, a driver is a piece of software which is used to allow hardware to intract with software correctly. Without a driver, the hardware device will either not be recogised, or work to its full potential

cheers fella

could it be anything to do my speakers at all?

Na its definitly not your speakers, unless you've got some complicated 7.1 setup your system cannot cope with!

drivers: becuase you dont know how gary fixed the laptop, if he re-formatted it, it may now be loaded with different (or worse still: microsoft) drivers.

you update them by knowing the manufacter/model of your motherboard, graphics card and sound card.

then go to the manufacter's website and download drivers for models you have.

sorry i cant explain it any better :S

Back