More help. I need more help. Stupid driveshaft inners!

dg_unit

Club Member (Trial)
Trying to get the gearbox off. Managed to get the lower balljoints off and now I need to get the driveshaft inners out of the gearbox (oil is drained, currently the outer ends are out of the wheel hub).

I've been trying to prize the off with a screwdriver (as Haynes instructed me) which has just bent my screwdriver. There must a better way. Any ideas? Thanks.

Chisel? Interesting. I've got one of those. I don't think I've getting the leverage right. There isn't any room to hit the end of a chisel with a hammer (because of the gearbox housing). Any chance of some more detail? Rally appreciate having everyone on here willing to help! Makes me feel better about my day lying on cold concrete.

you just have to wedge it in the gap and give it a little sharp jerk really dg, its held by a little circlip/ring that snags into a groove

right question. the guides im reading tell me to disconnect the started motor. problem is one of the screw heads has threaded. would be a problem if i just disconnect al the wires and leave it attached to the transmission housing? I figured it wouldn't be a problem but im not expert so dont wanna argue with the guides.

no, i left my starter on last time eh (and the wheels and shafts lol)

Attachments

• SDC11426.JPG
    SDC11426.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 138
Ha nice one frank. I'm on my own so don't fancy lifting an engine. Was just wondering tho, do you think a jack like in that pic, under the oil sump will be enough to hold the engine in place when I take off the front and back mounts? And... i take it there is something there holding the gearbox up still?

I;ve got everything ready now to actually remove the gearbox but I'm pretty scared I'll ###### it up. Might put a pillow underneath the gearbox it just in case it gets suicidal. Actually more worried the engine will collapse. Oh well. the work has to be done and I need to learn. Thanks for all the help and advice so far guys. I'd actually be stuck on the rusty nuts still!

that was an engine change dg, so the g/box is resting on a scissor jack, but to do a clutch i would have lowered the g/box to the floor and lifted the engine a bit
the locating dowels are usually very tight, so it probably will fly off lol :eek: and crashland
and the jack and upper mount will hold the engine fine :grinning:

Back