Modifying Floor Pan / Low Seat Mounting

Has anyone removed the raised section of floor plan that the front seat subframe bolts to?, so as to allow a very low seat position in the K11.
Just wondered if its been done before I do it myself (chop out the raised section and reinforce with flat steel sheet. I want to basically use a side mount fixed bucket on steel side mounts, with base of seat about 2" off floorplan. The raised section doesn't really allow a side mount seat to be fitted low down. Haven't had chance yet to look under the car floorplan to see if it's not going to be worth it chassis rigidity wise.

Yes, Matt Humphris has done it in his kit car, you will need to weld in a couple of support bars though just to be sure, I will see if I can find the pic...

You don't want to fit as side mount direct to the floor unless you wantto do a serious amount of strengthening. The floor just isn't stong enough and will flex, and in accident just rip out!

The standard way if doing it in a rally car is to weld 2 tubes between the tunnel and the sill, a suitable distance apart. Depending on you preference you can eitehr bolt through the tube, or weld brackets to the tubes to bolt the rails onto. The trouble is that to get the seat as low as you want will be very difficult as need the room to get the bolts in place.

you don't need to remove the raised section in the floor to get a low seat, you can put the seat at a slight tilt, i got mine done a few months ago nd its great any lower and i couldn't see altho i already find it hard sometimes espically to see kerbs lol, i cud get you a few pics of the frame that was made if you want, just let me kno and i cud show you how low you can sit.

I now its an old tread an all but i need help :)

I need to lower the seat in my SuperS as i touch the roof with my head sometimes. Not a big deal but im doing trackdays and you need to wear a helmet so that could be an issue :)

Any advice? Pics etc?

I now its an old tread an all but i need help :)

I need to lower the seat in my SuperS as i touch the roof with my head sometimes. Not a big deal but im doing trackdays and you need to wear a helmet so that could be an issue :)

Any advice? Pics etc?
I think Frank on here might be able to help, think he removed some of the foam from the seat so you sit lower? failing that.... bucket seats

I think Frank on here might be able to help, think he removed some of the foam from the seat so you sit lower? failing that.... bucket seats

aye, removing some of the foam from the base will give you a couple of inches headroom, and an alloy copy of the stock frame will save about 10kg,s

Attachments

• SDC11849.JPG
    SDC11849.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 332
I did remove some foam from the seat and it is a little lower but not enough. With a helmet i still touch the roof. Any ideas?

Oh and i have a sunroof that cant be opened because its broken so i might get rid of it and fit a roof lining from a non sunroof micra. That should give some headroom too :) But that isnt going to happen in the near future :(

As an aside Mike, I recently removed my entire rear seat setup. Nissan seats are VERY heavy. If you sling 'em and get buckets, you'll notice the difference :).

Buckets arent allowed in Slovenia :glare: But i have been thinking about getting one and have it on its own rails so its just a matter of removing 4 bolts and fitting in when i do trackdays.

Back