Micra MOT failure

R

roblatus

Hello all.

My wifes k11 micra 1.3lx has just failed its MOT. It is 10 yrs old and has done 103k miles.

It needs some welding on the sills.......again, the garage has quoted me £50 for both sides.

The front and rear brakes are not working anywhere near what they should be and neither is the handbrake.

I have bought some new pads for the front and shoes for the back and intend to fit these myself. As i have done this before on numerous cars.

However i don't have much experience in servicing rear drum brakes. Is it an easy job to do??? Also how do i adjust the handbrake??

I am quite a confident car mechanic and have done suspention mods on my own skoda octavia 1.8 turbo so the work doesnt bother me i was just looking for any pointers you experts may have?

Aslo it failed on the cv boot only being held on by one fastening. Can i just purchase a new clip for this and is it easy to fit??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Buy a haynes manual? I think this would probably be your best best to solve this, and future questions if your planning on taking on alot of work.

The Haynes Manual has helped me with so many maintenance and MOT fail repairs especially the brakes, it's the best thing you can ever buy for your car if you plan to keep it.

I had to tighten my handbrake, this is done at the handbrake, there's a "screw" that you adjust.
As for CV boot mine are on with decent cable ties and pass MOT.

Good luck

goldstar0011 said:
The Haynes Manual has helped me with so many maintenance and MOT fail repairs especially the brakes, it's the best thing you can ever buy for your car if you plan to keep it.

I had to tighten my handbrake, this is done at the handbrake, there's a "screw" that you adjust.
As for CV boot mine are on with decent cable ties and pass MOT.

Good luck

i dont think it failed on the fact that the handbrake needs adjusting so much as it only works at 6% efficiency according to the fail certificate :eek:

I am a little reluctant to go out and get a Haynes manual as we are only hoping to keep the car for another year. However i think this might be the best way to go and am currently tracking one on ebay.

If i end up needing to put new discs on how much are these likely to cost me???

Haynes Manuals are only about £10 so not a huge expense.

Not too sure of exact cost off new discs or pads but will be around the £40 for both side in total

goldstar0011 said:

Not too sure of exact cost off new discs or pads but will be around the £40 for both side in total

I have ordered some genuine nissan pads from ebay they cpst me £10. I also won some rear shoes for £19 including delivery.

Maybe i am just a bit tight but i am sure haynes manuals are more than a tenner. May see if my local library has one:laugh:

with the motor facors that my garage use they are £36 for 2 discs and a set of pads not sure how much shoes are tho

goldstar0011 said:

Haynes manual in Halfrauds is £16.99 :mad:

Back