MOT FAILURE!!! please help

Hi

I have just been told my car has failed on exhaust emmissions. its a 53plate 1.2 that has done 40k and has always been in my family from new.

last saturday I has the engine warning light come on for the first time and after the diagnosis test was told it was the o2 sensor before the catalytic converter the ECU was then re set and the light didnt come back on.

The MOT was today and failed... and they have run more tests on it and have said it is the catalytic converter and they have quoted me £350 all inclusive. (it is a garage i have used before and had no problems)

for a second opinion expecting them to be much more expensive i called my nearest Nissan dealer who quoted £360 all inclusive. But the guy i spoke to said he would be incredibly suprised if it is this as in the 6years he has worked for Nissan he has never had to replace one.

I'm a 21 year old female and went to the garage alone! Am i being ripped off?

if i take it away from the garage i have to pay for a re-test

has anyone else had a similar problems or any idea what i can do from here?

Thanks

Was the o2 sensor replaced...or just the ecu reset?

You can take the car anywhere you want for repairs...if you return to the same mot center within the time limit usually they'll retest for free...well thats how it works up here where iam anyways.

Only the ECU was reset at the weekend.

they have already said i will be charged for the re-test if the car leaves the test centre but i just wanted to know if anyone else has had similar problems as the guy at Nissan has put doubts in my mind now!

Thanks for the advise so far i have been getting more quotes now.

Back